Worth visiting Key West?

bajae

We leave in August from Port Everglades on our very first cruise :D.

We will fly into Fort Lauderdale two days before the cruise and want do to something that extra day. For those of you who have visited Key West, would you think it would be worth the drive down? I've heard that it is a realllly long drive.

Our original plan was to visit Everglades National Park but since we do not fly out until after 8pm the day after the cruise, I think we will do the park that day. TIA

We leave in August from Port Everglades on our very first cruise :D.

We will fly into Fort Lauderdale two days before the cruise and want do to something that extra day. For those of you who have visited Key West, would you think it would be worth the drive down? I've heard that it is a realllly long drive.

Our original plan was to visit Everglades National Park but since we do not fly out until after 8pm the day after the cruise, I think we will do the park that day. TIA

Sadly for you, not enough time to justify the trip.

You really need one day to drive down.

One or two days minimum in Key West

and then

You must drive back north the day before the cruise (this is because a serious accident on a bridge can block the whole thing up for up to six hours)

Well worth doing (we do it every time) so definitely think about doing it on a future cruise, just give yourself more time. Also check the air fare options and look at flying down to Key West. Air fares to Key West are often little or no different to the fare to FLL and flying down avoids car rental costs (there is no premium for one way rentals in Florida) and parking costs in Key West.

You must however, drive at least one way, so, if you do fly down, you simply must drive north to Fort Lauderdale, but do that the day before the cruise.

We love Key West and stay there as often as we can, but I can remember the first time flying into FLL and driving down - took us 5-5.5 hours as we were taking in the sites and stopping for restroom breaks, etc. I mean, its not like you can really get lost once you start driving. But I would NEVER attempt to go down and back in a single day

Thank you so much for the excellent advise. You all brought up some valid points/ideas. Sounds like the wisest course of action is to stay around Fort Lauderdale this trip.

I always recommend to people if they have a rental car and an extra day to spare, check out the Homestead/Redlands area, south of Miami.

http://www.redlandriot.com/

Look at the route and all the different stops along the way. Some of our favorite stops:

Robert is Here (the best milkshakes, interesting produce market)

RF Orchids (orchid farm)

Fruit & Spice Park (take the tram tour, very cool)

Knaus Berry Farm (only open certain times of the year - amazing fresh baked goods)

... and finally, at stop at Schnebly's Winery (wines made of tropical fruit, and a brewery).

What about driving down to Miami via A1A and take in the sights of Miami Beach and South Beach or cross over to Miami and spend time at Bayfront Park?

Much better idea - you are looking at a distance of -35 miles but plan on an hour drive

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We love KW and have tried to spend a few days there in most years. But driving down for the day...or even 1 night....is hardly the best use of one's time. We have found that a 3 night stay is perfect for our needs, and 2 nights might be good for many folks.

We also disagree with flying (round trip) to the KW. One of highlights of visiting KW is driving the OverSeas Highway. It is a unique drive with some amazing views. But flying does save some time (but you need to consider the time spent getting an airport and waiting for your flight). A one way flight coupled with a one-way rental car is a good compromise.

One other warning for those taking a cruise after visiting KW. Driving from KW to your cruise port, the day of a cruise, has a degree of risk. Keep in mind the Overseas Highway is mostly 2 lanes,,,and a single accident can tie up traffic for hours! But we do love driving to the Keys after a cruise. The timing is usually right for us to stop at the Hungry Tarpon for lunch :).

Hank