NCL Dive Operators in Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel

lx200gps

We will be boarding the Getaway in 6 weeks, and I'd like to do a dive or two in one of these ports. NCL's shore excursions list SCUBA excursions in CM and Roatan, though surprisingly not in Coz (only SNUBA and DSD, no "certified" dives)

Who does NCL use in these ports, as I'd like to contact them to find out the details of their trips. Yes, I'm well aware that doing your own excursion is usually best, but I do like the safety factor afforded by being on a ship's excursion when on a ship for the first time. Had Grand Cayman been one of the stops, I'd have no issues at all doing my own thing, but I'd like to see who NCL uses in these ports. Ideally, I'm looking for a trip that leaves first thing after arrival and gets back early so I can re-join my wife. An alternative which would be great is having one of the local ops do a "special" private dive, just me and a DM but I don't know how practical that would be in these locations.

Thanks in advance.

In Roatan, pretty much all the cruise lines use Anthony's Key Resort. NCL definitely used them last time I knew for sure, a few years ago. I used to be a fan, but my last experience there was substandard.

No idea who they use in Costa Maya, but I know an operator there that could set up the one-on-one diving you may want.

Harris

Denver, CO

If the dolphin drive through Anthony's Key is available, I highly recommend it. One of the best dives I have done and most everyone on the boat agreed. That was 2 years ago and was our second dive with them. They've always been good to us, though I will mention that unless something has changed, they do a couple drills (mask clearing, buoyancy, etc) with you before going out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Update: After reviewing the itinerary, I've tentatively decided to do some drift diving in Cozumel. Based on RECENT experience, would anyone know who NCL use as their SCUBA tour operator in Coz as of Feb 2017? I found a number of reviews on Tripadvisor where people said they had booked a ship shore excursion and the designated operator was a company called "The Dive Shop". Reviews seemed fine and their boat actually looked very good. Trouble is, the last review was dated December 2016, and this operator seems to have disappeared. Their website is down and Emails are bounced back by my ISP as undeliverable. If any has done an NCL dive excursion in Coz in the last month or two, who did NCL contract with? My fallback will be to call NCL's 1-866 number and hope that the call center has the information and will release it.

Thanks in advance

As far as I know, the cruise lines all still use Sand Dollar Sports in Cozumel. I'm not a fan, having dove with them twice over the years.

For Cozumel you can't beat Aldora (http://www.aldoradivers.com). They run no more than 6 divers per boat, and put groups together with similar experience. They also make diving from the ship very easy. They use larger (120 Cf versus the usual 80 CF) steel tanks, which means you get a longer dive, and use less lead weight on either your belt, or weight pockets.

When you reserve with them, they email you very clear directions for the meeting place and all the details; and they're entirely used to having divers from the ships.

Harris

Denver, CO

As far as I know, the cruise lines all still use Sand Dollar Sports in Cozumel. I'm not a fan, having dove with them twice over the years.

For Cozumel you can't beat Aldora (www.aldoradivers.com). They run no more than 6 divers per boat, and put groups together with similar experience. They also make diving from the ship very easy. They use larger (120 Cf versus the usual 80 CF) steel tanks, which means you get a longer dive, and use less lead weight on either your belt, or weight pockets.

When you reserve with them, they email you very clear directions for the meeting place and all the details; and they're entirely used to having divers from the ships.

Harris

Denver, CO

Thanks, I'll check Aldora. My preference off ships is to stick with ship excursions only for the safety of the "We won't leave without you" policy, but I do realize that in places like Coz, the dive ops are pretty good at getting you back to the ship on time. Doing 120s is a great idea too, my SAC rate is higher than I would like ;o)

In your experience, are there dive spots close to the town that would make decent shore dives? A full two tank dive off a boat means leaving my non-diver wife for many hours, if there was any closer diving, even if less than ideal (like Eden Rock in Cayman for example), I might consider that as well.

The Dive Shop used to be called Aquaworld - the shop is across the street from the Grand Park Royal hotel and their watercraft are moored there as well. The closest cruise ship pier to the shop is the International Pier. I can't speak to their dive operation - I've only gotten tanks from them, doing shore dives from their water entries. There are many, many dive ops in Coz - Google is your friend. Many shops have a US telephone number so talking with these folks is easy. Pick out several based on their web site information and whatever reviews you can get online and give them a call. Most of these folks keep their boats at New Caleta and you'll probably find yourself diving somewhere near the Palancar Reef. If you have the opportunity to go to Colombia Deep, take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, I'll check Aldora. My preference off ships is to stick with ship excursions only for the safety of the "We won't leave without you" policy, but I do realize that in places like Coz, the dive ops are pretty good at getting you back to the ship on time. Doing 120s is a great idea too, my SAC rate is higher than I would like ;o)

In your experience, are there dive spots close to the town that would make decent shore dives? A full two tank dive off a boat means leaving my non-diver wife for many hours, if there was any closer diving, even if less than ideal (like Eden Rock in Cayman for example), I might consider that as well.

Cozumel isn't really a shore diving place. not that you couldn't but the reef is a bit out. I would say that we're talking more than just "less than ideal". If my choice in Coz was shore diving or no diving at all, I'd likely skip it altogether.

Because of the larger tanks, Aldora also has a longer surface interval, which they usually take at a super nice hotel beach, with food service. Don't trust my memory but I think it's the Palancar Beach Hotel. Depending upon your wife's plans, you could probably arrange to have her meet you there for the SI, and have the best of both worlds.

Harris

Denver, CO

Agree that Coz isn't shore dive friendly - most of the places that have decent entries are used for training and are in areas close to town where the coral isn't in great shape. One place you may check out for shore diving would be the Fiesta Americana Hotel - they used to have a dive op on-site. You'd probably need a buddy though.

Coz is all about the reefs and drift diving though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My DH used Aldora in OCT also from Getaway. He had no issues at all and beat us back to the boat by an hour, and the kids and I were not close on time.

I am the non diving wife, we agree he will dive 2-3 times per trip and I'll keep the kids. It would be really hard for me to wait 1/2 of the day for him. Roatan is a place however that many of the operations come back to the beach for a surface interval and she could absolutely spend the day at the resort they return to and you could do lunch together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Because of the larger tanks, Aldora also has a longer surface interval, which they usually take at a super nice hotel beach, with food service. Don't trust my memory but I think it's the Palancar Beach Hotel. Depending upon your wife's plans, you could probably arrange to have her meet you there for the SI, and have the best of both worlds.

Harris

Denver, CO

Every time I've dove with Aldora, our surface interval was at Mr.Sancho's beach club. Might be a nice place for OP's wife to spend the day- they have quite a bit to do there.

I will say, on my last cruise to Coz I dove with Aldora, I was on a boat with others who had later departure times.. I had to be very pushy about getting back to the dock in time- we cut it much closer than I would have liked. So if you go this route just be aware of that, have your own watch, and don't be afraid to speak up.

Every time I've dove with Aldora, our surface interval was at Mr.Sancho's beach club. Might be a nice place for OP's wife to spend the day- they have quite a bit to do there.

Your posted prompted me to do research, and we're both right :) It's Mr. Sancho's Beach Club at the Palancar Beach Resort. It's a nice place with a good beach and good food.

Harris

Denver, CO

Your posted prompted me to do research, and we're both right :) It's Mr. Sancho's Beach Club at the Palancar Beach Resort. It's a nice place with a good beach and good food.

Harris

Denver, CO

Ah good to know! I had no idea :) You learn something new every day!

Good info here. We will be on a cruise stop in Cozumel next February 2018. I have already emailed Aldora out diving with them. Since our port time is 10:30am - 7:30pm they replied to me today that they cannot accommodate us as their boats go out around 7:30am. They recommended that I try to email Aqua Safari and Scuba Du. I would have thought that Aldora would have a one tank afternoon dive but I guess not. Because of our odd port time we might have to go with the ship's dive excursion.

• 4 weeks later...

Non Ship recommendations:

Roatan: Coconut tree https://www.coconuttreedivers.com/

Coz: Cozumel H2o http://www.cozumelh2o.com/

Did 2 tanks with both and were back with PLENTY of time to shop/drink. H20 offers private dives and I enjoyed it so much that we're going back in October to dive with them again.

• 4 months later...