ATMs & cash in Japan

boom_boom

While I travel in Europe I've never had a problem getting local cash from ATMs. From what I've read it isn't so easy in Japan. True? And I understand Japan is more a cash-oriented society than the US. Short of getting Yen from my bank before I leave what's the best answer for getting cash in Japan?

There was another thread on this subject, but I can't find it. I use Citibank and have used the ATM's at Narita Airport, as you leave the immigration / customs area they are on the right hand side. There is an option on the ATM to use English and there was a limit on how much you could withdraw, I think about USD $300 or $500.. If you are arriving at another airport in Japan, check the airport map to find where they have ATM's. (I would stay away from the ATM's that are owned by major airport exchange companies). As the other post indicated, you can go to the local post office or any 7 / 11. See the video on youtube

You might also do a search on youtube on finding and using the ATM at post offices.

We used a credit card at the hotel and major restaurants without any problem. The smaller shops and street vendors will only take cash.

From the handful of trips to Japan over the last decade or so, I'm finding access to "international" ATM to be more easier and common. I'd suggest getting cash initially from an ATM at the airport. If you need you top up later, we've found bank ATM's that took our cards at convenience stores and malls instead of just at the post office nowadays.

We try to use cash most of the time but will use cc for larger purchases like train tickets or hotel payments.

We found cash machines at 7/11 and other convenience stores. We purchased yen before leaving home so we had enough to start us off for meals, taxis etc. Only one of our hotels required payment in cash, this was clearly stated when we booked. They suggested a nearby cash machine we could use if needed.

Citibank is no longer in Japan. It is true that only certain ATMs will accept overseas cards:

* Japan Post Bank ATMs: http://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/en/ias/en_ias_index.html

JP or "Yucho" ATMs are mostly located in post offices, but some are free-standing.

* Seven Bank ATMs: http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/english/personal/atm/

Seven Banks ATMs are mostly located in 7-11 convenience stores, but some are free-standing.

* Lawson convenience stores are the latest to accept overseas cards: https://oversea.lawson-atm.com/en/

For all of these, look for the English guidance button (typically in the top right corner of the initial ATM screen). Once you press it, all the instructions on each screen will be in English.

To put this in perspective, one needs to realize how many convenience stores there are in Japan.

Family Mart, yet another convenience store chain, is also beginning to install international ATMs in their stores.

On the street in front of my family's home in Akasaka, there are two 7-11's, two Family Marts, one Lawson's, and a post office in a two block stretch. This is not unusual.

All have international ATMs. The Post Office closes at 11pm. All the convenience stores are open 24/7.

On almost every block on almost every street in Tokyo, there is now at least one convenience store with an international ATM.

These numbers will only increase as we get closer to the 2020 Olympics.

On almost every block on almost every street in Tokyo, there is now at least one convenience store with an international ATM.

While that is certainly true, not all Japanese ports are big cities like Tokyo. It can be more challenging at some of the smaller ports. However, it is definitely getting better overall.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
From the handful of trips to Japan over the last decade or so, I'm finding access to "international" ATM to be more easier and common. I'd suggest getting cash initially from an ATM at the airport. If you need you top up later, we've found bank ATM's that took our cards at convenience stores and malls instead of just at the post office nowadays.

We try to use cash most of the time but will use cc for larger purchases like train tickets or hotel payments.

I had no trouble using Visa or MasterCard at most hotels and restaurants in Tokyo, Yokohama, Kyoto and Nagasaki.