Britannia worse experience in 9years of cruisingMos

Gayn

Even the law can fail you. I built a steel framed building in 2009, and the contractor made a poor job of the roof. Various attempts were made to make it watertight, and eventually it went to the solicitors. I was advised not proceed as the contract did not state that the roof had to be watertight, and the claim might fail!

I wonder if generally if Britannia is living up to expectations. They are offering some highly discounted December Caribbean cruises

Don't think it is anything to do with Britannia just a sign of the times and cruises are always heavily discounted just before Xmas. She is a big ship so has a lot of cabins to fill so there is always the chance of late cheap deals on her. We went on the maiden cruise and again since and both were excellent we love everything about the ship and is the only P&O ship we would consider cruising on again if the price was right. Some don't like her because of her decor or size but equally there are many do not like smaller ships like we dont we are all different and have differing views.

I wonder if generally if Britannia is living up to expectations. They are offering some highly discounted December Caribbean cruises

As has been said there are always big discounts for cruises before Christmas. Nothing to do with Britannia.

The difference in price between the summer and Nov/Dec is marked. Prices then rise for Christmas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We will be going on our very first cruise in September 2018 and I'm really beginning to regret choosing Britannia. The initial excitement is being eroded by the negative comments of a lot of experienced cruisers including two people I go to the gym with, they screwed their faces up when I told them which ship we were going on. I certainly wouldn't put up with being in a stinky cabin even if you don't spend much time in there. That really isn't the point, you've paid your money and you should receive a wonderful experience and not have to put up with anything so disgusting. I really feel for the OP.

We will be going on our very first cruise in September 2018 and I'm really beginning to regret choosing Britannia. The initial excitement is being eroded by the negative comments of a lot of experienced cruisers including two people I go to the gym with, they screwed their faces up when I told them which ship we were going on. I certainly wouldn't put up with being in a stinky cabin even if you don't spend much time in there. That really isn't the point, you've paid your money and you should receive a wonderful experience and not have to put up with anything so disgusting. I really feel for the OP.

I went on Britannia last year and Aurora this year and I have booked again for next year on Britannia. After I booked on Britannia last year I read some very bad reviews about her and was nearly put off going. In the end it was the best holiday I've ever had and the ship was spotless and the staff were excellent. The food was absolutely fine and entertainment was also very good.

These are my personal views of course but as a yardstick I'm the type of person if I had a problem I would most certainly want something done about it. I didn't have a problem on Britannia and I don't expect to have one next year either. It's a lovely ship and we will be booking it again in 2019 for our 50th anniversary.

Oh by the way I also had people who said to me 'why are you going on that ship' and turned their noses up. Since then two of them have booked, sailed and loved it.

Don't worry you will have a great time :)

I went on Britannia last year and Aurora this year and I have booked again for next year on Britannia. After I booked on Britannia last year I read some very bad reviews about her and was nearly put off going. In the end it was the best holiday I've ever had and the ship was spotless and the staff were excellent. The food was absolutely fine and entertainment was also very good.

These are my personal views of course but as a yardstick I'm the type of person if I had a problem I would most certainly want something done about it. I didn't have a problem on Britannia and I don't expect to have one next year either. It's a lovely ship and we will be booking it again in 2019 for our 50th anniversary.

Oh by the way I also had people who said to me 'why are you going on that ship' and turned their noses up. Since then two of them have booked, sailed and loved it.

Don't worry you will have a great time :)

I'm exactly the same as strawberry fields. None of our friends wanted to cruise on her, and two of our very good friends didn't like it. However we've been on numerous ships and I can honestly that Britannia is a beautiful ship and we had an amazing time. Like Strawberry field, I'm fussy and I wouldn't say it was great if it wasn't. Now Oceana on the other hand.....!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been on Britannia twice and are back on her this year over Christmas and New Year. I appreciate we all like different things but for us Britannia is a fantastic ship. Judge for yourself.

I am yet to sail on Britannia but having spoken to a number of people (who I would describe as die-hard P&O supporters) some like her and some are less than complimentary. To be fair to those in the second group, some of them felt that the introduction of Britannia (size; all ocean view cabins having balconies; multiple upscale chargeable restaurants etc) was a seismic shift in P&O's core product and one they felt was a step too far. By 2015, P&O for some years had had a group of ships sitting very firmly in the 4-star category aging between 5 years and 20 years old and then along comes Britannia - positioned as a 5 star ship - this was exactly what P&O needed. P&O was clearly trying to move up a rung on the ladder and should be applauded for that.

Yes, there is the much publicized soot problem - they are not alone with this - Princess, with near-identical build ships suffers but I do not hear much negative comment. They had other technical/mechanical problems but I am puzzled that P&O's Britannia is attracting what I believe to be a disproportionate amount of criticism. Passengers experience problems with other cruise lines/other ships and go about getting their grievances addressed in the normal way.

If Britannia is that bad then perhaps someone can explain to me why their load factors are so high (and it's certainly not because of aggressive discounting). I wanted to get a booking during mid-August for a late October sailing and in the category I wanted, there were literally a handful of cabins available whether I spoke to P&O direct or their consolidators. I think that speaks for itself!

Needless to say, I will post a review of my sailing - I hope I am not disappointed. This will be my first time on P&O having only sailed on Cunard and Celebrity so I think I can honestly say I am not biased.

Have sailed on Britannia twice - the first time in 2015 to the Canary Islands and more recently in May 2017 to Spain and France for a week. We loved every second of our cruise in May and were more than happy. A nice ship. As long as people do their homework and know what to expect then I fail to see how they can be disappointed.

Go and enjoy

No need to worry. Although we have had some problems with Britannia, mostly due to having an aft cabin (which I wouldn't recommend), she is, in our opinion, the best ship in the P&O fleet and ideal for first time cruisers. She is modern, with the best speciality (extra charge) restaurants and cabins (glass shower screens, big HD widescreen interactive TV's) we have experienced. It's better to do a first cruise on the biggest ship as you are less likely to get bored as there is more to see and do. There are some drawbacks which those of us who have experienced the other ships may notice (and comment on), but I doubt first time cruisers would even notice as you have no previous benchmark. And there is a true saying that your first cruise is often your best cruise. I'm sure that you will have a lovely time.

Thanks for all the positive comments, feel better now:)

We have booked a forward cabin on deck D as I had read about the soot issues. First time we went to Walt Disneyworld for the first time ten years ago I spent hours on forums learning so much which made that one of our most enjoyable, memorable holidays. That is why I joined this forum to hopefully learn how to get the most out of this our first cruise. Sorry, didn't mean to hyjack the original thread

Thanks for all the positive comments, feel better now:)

We have booked a forward cabin on deck D as I had read about the soot issues. First time we went to Walt Disneyworld for the first time ten years ago I spent hours on forums learning so much which made that one of our most enjoyable, memorable holidays. That is why I joined this forum to hopefully learn how to get the most out of this our first cruise. Sorry, didn't mean to hyjack the original thread

On our first two cruises on Britannia we had a Suite right at the front on D deck. We had none of the problems that we experienced in an aft suite. The balconies are very shallow (as are all balconies on Britannia, other than those at the very back) and the balcony was quite shaded by the bridge at times, but we found it to be very quiet and experienced no movement. If we go on Britannia again, we would return to D deck forward without hesitation. Good choice.

I am very tempted to try Britannia but the only thing that puts me off is that there is no promenade deck to sit or walk on....I just love to be on that deck at sail-away more than up on the top and if it is raining it is a covered area to walk outside around the ship

I am very tempted to try Britannia but the only thing that puts me off is that there is no promenade deck to sit or walk on....I just love to be on that deck at sail-away more than up on the top and if it is raining it is a covered area to walk outside around the ship

That's the only thing I preferred with Aurora over Britannia. The upper deck just isn't the same is it especially as it's not covered. Overall though I am happy to give that up for the much better cabins and larger ship.

Trying to shame people out of reporting bad experiences with giant companies is insane.

Well said. The problem is too many people accept poor device or substandard facilities. It's not about compensation but if the standard doesn't match the offer then quite rightly the company should make some recompense. It would certainly spoil my holiday experience if the cabin had a foul smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If i had spent £5000 to sleep in a toilet i think it would be perfectly acceptable to ask for compensation . Nothing to do with a compensation culture.

Well said. The problem is too many people accept poor device or substandard facilities. It's not about compensation but if the standard doesn't match the offer then quite rightly the company should make some recompense. It would certainly spoil my holiday experience if the cabin had a foul smell.

The problem is too many people accept poor device or substandard facilities. It's not about compensation but if the standard doesn't match the offer then quite rightly the company should make some recompense. It would certainly spoil my holiday experience if the cabin had a foul smell.