Chinese Visa info making my head spin!

mishfromva

I know my cruise is WAY far out, but as soon as I started looking up info on visas, I thought I might be over my head.

We are US citizens. My 26 year old daughter and I are planning on the Jan 5, 2019 Sapphire Princess cruise. It sails from Shanghai to Singapore (Stopping in Nagasaki, Busan, Hong Kong, Ho Chi Minh City, Bangkok and Ko Samui).

I would like to fly over to Shanghai no more than 2 days prior to our ship leaving from Singapore for some sightseeing. I will be making my own airfare and hotel reservations.

My question is: Will I need a visa for this? Will I need a visa for any other stop?:confused:

Edited by mishfromva

I know my cruise is WAY far out, but as soon as I started looking up info on visas, I thought I might be over my head.

We are US citizens. My 26 year old daughter and I are planning on the Jan 5, 2019 Sapphire Princess cruise. It sails from Shanghai to Singapore (Stopping in Nagasaki, Busan, Hong Kong, Ho Chi Minh City, Bangkok and Ko Samui).

I would like to fly over to Shanghai no more than 2 days prior to our ship leaving from Singapore for some sightseeing. I will be making my own airfare and hotel reservations.

My question is: Will I need a visa for this? Will I need a visa for any other stop?:confused:

No visas required for Japan, South Korea, and Thailand.

Visas for Vietnam are typically arranged for you by your ship. (please call Princess to make sure.)

No visas required for visit to Hong Kong but since you are traveling to Shanghai...you and your daughter will need Chinese visas. Note: Chinese visas are expensive...and for us, it was difficult because we decided to drive to the nearest Chinese Consulate located 3 hours away in San Francisco, and applied for it in person.

Wonderful itinerary!...have a wonderful cruise and have fun planning for your ports.:)

Thank you. Lucky I live outside of DC and will plan to go in person for the visa.

]No visas required for Japan, South Korea, and Thailand.

Visas for Vietnam are typically arranged for you by your ship. (please call Princess to make sure.)

No visas required for visit to Hong Kong but since you are traveling to Shanghai...you and your daughter will need Chinese visas. Note: Chinese visas are expensive...and for us, it was difficult because we decided to drive to the nearest Chinese Consulate located 3 hours away in San Francisco, and applied for it in person.

Wonderful itinerary!...have a wonderful cruise and have fun planning for your ports.:)

I guess I'm confused as I leave Shanghai on the cruise but then reenter China via the cruise ship stopping in Hong Kong!? I thought once I left China on the 144 hour rule...I couldn't reenter?

You might fall under the 144 hour rule, see the thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2393963&highlight=china+visa

I would get the 10-year Chinese visa. It's good (to its expiration date) even after your current passport expires, as long as you bring it with the new one.

Airline or cruise personnel that are not up to date with the latest in the 144 hr visa waiver could hold you up and even deny your boarding.

Consider the visa as insurance towards a worry free cruise.

I guess I'm confused as I leave Shanghai on the cruise but then reenter China via the cruise ship stopping in Hong Kong!? I thought once I left China on the 144 hour rule...I couldn't reenter?

Hong Kong is a separate administrative zone, so although part of the PRC, they do not require a visa for USA citizens to enter. Therefore, once you leave Shanghai, technically you are not reentering the PRC when you stop in Hong Kong (also applies to Macau) . I know it's confusing, but you should be ok. When we had questions about the visa, the ultimate answer on Celebrity came from the documentation office on the ship, in our case the Millennium. If you can contact the documentation office on the ship you will be on, he or she can confirm. I would not trust the cruise line office / reservation agents, they really don't know and will typically give you the safe answer, get a visa.

Before heading off to DC to get your China visa make sure you have all the supporting documents you'll need. Besides your current passport (not expiring in less than 6 months and blank pages), a new passport type picture, DL, and proof of intended travel documents. I would also print out the application form too.

if you decide to go to the Washington DC office of the PRC, see the comments and pictures on Yelp.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/embassy-of-the-peoples-republic-of-china-washington-3?osq=getting+a+visa+at+China+Embassy

Interesting...Glad I opted to just use a visa company to get ours...even though the downtown LA office might be different than DC.

Interesting...Glad I opted to just use a visa company to get ours...even though the downtown LA office might be different than DC.

I have gone to the LA PRC embassy a couple of times to get a visa. Recently they have gotten better, but it can still be a challenge There is also a yelp review of the LA embassy with some useful information including finding parking.

Download, review, prepare and fill out all the questions on the PRC Visa Application as best as you can, it ASKED for a lot of detailed information ... yes, even for a tourist visit (same form is used for business, family visits, etc.) and have your travel information, confirmation & booking details, dates - hotels and name/phone # of T/A used (if any, etc.) on hand & make copies as attachments for the application, before going there in person. It will make the process a little better, not saying it is easy & customer services - is NOT well known for them behind the glass partition - do not take it personally, they deal with plenty of rude & inconsiderate nationals from their own country there, conducting businesses.

You need to go there twice if doing this in person - but, will have the approved visa in about 5 business days once accepted, less days if urgent & extra fees paid. Time is money, do consider using an estabished visa broker's services - a good Chinese T/A in major cities like NY or LA doing volume business typically will have their "agents" available to do the run, worth the $50 to $75 fees charged, per passport/visa application submitted.

From these replies it seems as if the process is much easier in Canada than US. I have obtained visas twice and while the form is complex, the visit to the visa office was quick and easy. My husband dropped me off with the forms and went to get coffee. I was finished before he reached the coffee shop. Picking them up a week later was just as easy. It helps that the visa office is a short drive from home.

Sheila

Your itinerary should definitely qualify for the 144 hour visa waver. HK entry is not considered a reentry to China.

We just booked this cruise also! Very excited!!! 144 hours is 6 days, we will be arriving hopefully the same day, so I believe we don't need to worry about the Chinese visa. We do need to get the Vietnam one though, I think.

We just booked this cruise also! Very excited!!! 144 hours is 6 days, we will be arriving hopefully the same day, so I believe we don't need to worry about the Chinese visa. We do need to get the Vietnam one though, I think.

We were on the Celebrity Millennium from Hong Kong to Singapore last November with 3 ports in Vietnam. Ship took care of visas for us (we are USA citizens so do not know about other nationals.)

The visa for all 3 ports was cheap (about 6 USD) if you only took day trips at each of the ports, but more if you planned on staying overnight. Initially they told us that our overnight visa would cost us each 140 USD, but when we got our ship account statement it was only 38 USD pp.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry late in responding. I believe that the Vietnam one is done on the ship. But I will need to look into that as well. Thanks for the reminder. See ya on the ship!

sorry late in responding. I believe that the Vietnam one is done on the ship. But I will need to look into that as well. Thanks for the reminder. See ya on the ship!

Well let me know if you find out before I do, okay? And I'll do the same! :D