Ship snorkeling gear from NC to our hotel in Maui? Cost & time? Anyone done before?

mikeerdas

We have a forthcoming Japan / Maui trip. We leave Sunday and spend 5 nights in Japan, then fly to Maui for 4 nights at the Fairmont Kea Lani where we'll do a lot of snorkeling. We've got our own gear (semi-prescription lenses) and prefer to use it. We also prefer not checking luggage in general due to cost, possibility of loss, etc.

The good news would be that if we could ship the gear to our hotel in Maui, we could check-in it in as luggage for free on the way home--this is a perk of the Barclays AAdvantage Aviator credit card. But it only works for domestic flights.

What service would be best to ship our gear to the hotel and how much might it cost / how long would it take to arrive? Prefer not lugging it around with us in Japan, as we're spending nights in both Tokyo and Kyoto.

We have a forthcoming Japan / Maui trip. We leave Sunday and spend 5 nights in Japan, then fly to Maui for 4 nights at the Fairmont Kea Lani where we'll do a lot of snorkeling. We've got our own gear (semi-prescription lenses) and prefer to use it. We also prefer not checking luggage in general due to cost, possibility of loss, etc.

The good news would be that if we could ship the gear to our hotel in Maui, we could check-in it in as luggage for free on the way home--this is a perk of the Barclays AAdvantage Aviator credit card. But it only works for domestic flights.

What service would be best to ship our gear to the hotel and how much might it cost / how long would it take to arrive? Prefer not lugging it around with us in Japan, as we're spending nights in both Tokyo and Kyoto.

Given that you are too late to use services such as Luggage Forward, etc., FedEx or similar seems about your only option at this point. You will have to check that out yourself, as only you know the shipping details. If you do use them, perhaps it would be best to have them hold it until you pick it up, as on occasion hotels have been known to lose packages shipped to them.

Given that you are too late to use services such as Luggage Forward, etc., FedEx or similar seems about your only option at this point. You will have to check that out yourself, as only you know the shipping details. If you do use them, perhaps it would be best to have them hold it until you pick it up, as on occasion hotels have been known to lose packages shipped to them.

Thanks Silver. I'd never heard of Luggage Forward before. It's on me--I realize this is the 11th hour for doing such a thing; but thought I'd reach out anyway. Good reference for future trips if nothing else.

Thanks Silver. I'd never heard of Luggage Forward before. It's on me--I realize this is the 11th hour for doing such a thing; but thought I'd reach out anyway. Good reference for future trips if nothing else.

We use Luggage Forward whenever we have to fly anywhere. Your luggage is picked up at your door and the next time you see it is in (our case) your cabin on your cruise ship. You can track it all the way along if you are the nervous type. Usually the luggage beats us to the ship - and you are notified it is safe with the port agent and then handed over to the ship. Way to go if at all possible. Also works for hotels and such.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

I suggest a USPS large or extra large flat rate box. I ship from California to Maui and it takes about 3 days. You have a shipping number so you can track your shipment. I love USPS, NOT UPS, flat rate boxes. They have different types/shapes of boxes and I have never had a box lost. You will need to let the Kea Lani know the box is coming. Since Hawaii is part of the U.S.A. it is normal postage. Often UPS and Fed Ex charge extra for shipments to Hawaii, but not USPS. I think a large flat rate up to 70 lbs is about $12 and an ex large is about $17. Have fun snorkeling!!!! Cherie

p.s. pack a flat USPS flat rate box in your suit case so you can ship your equipment home from Hawaii. The post office in Kihei, near the Kea Lani, usually has these boxes but better to be safe than sorry. I would wrap the equipment in clothing.

Thanks cccole! I'd not heard of flat rate boxes. What an exceptionally low rate! Love your idea for packing a spare flat rate box for the snorkeling gear's journey home. :-)

I suggest a USPS large or extra large flat rate box. I ship from California to Maui and it takes about 3 days. You have a shipping number so you can track your shipment. I love USPS, NOT UPS, flat rate boxes. They have different types/shapes of boxes and I have never had a box lost. You will need to let the Kea Lani know the box is coming. Since Hawaii is part of the U.S.A. it is normal postage. Often UPS and Fed Ex charge extra for shipments to Hawaii, but not USPS. I think a large flat rate up to 70 lbs is about $12 and an ex large is about $17. Have fun snorkeling!!!! Cherie

p.s. pack a flat USPS flat rate box in your suit case so you can ship your equipment home from Hawaii. The post office in Kihei, near the Kea Lani, usually has these boxes but better to be safe than sorry. I would wrap the equipment in clothing.

The flat rate boxes are available at post offices or can be ordered on line. Cherie

Hi Cherie,

So, I had bad luck at the post office. Either staff ignorance, my own ignorance, the circumstances, or some combination of these. When I asked for flat rate boxes, she said the largest was some "tiny" Priority Mail box. She may have been thinking "flats" versus "flat rate."

She did bring out a cardboard box large enough for all the gear to fit. But when I got to the counter, they said I'd need to ship it Priority Mail to arrive in time. That cost $60. Would only have been around $20 by the other method, but they said it would have taken up to 15 days from North Carolina.

More time than I have, so I went with Priority Mail and paid $60. It will arrive on Monday and I will arrive on Sat 9/30. Emailed the Kea Lani so they're expecting the package; they said it was no problem. Don't know how that would have compared with checking luggage; but I hate checking luggage in general; and don't need to be hauling all my snorkel gear around with me while I'm in Tokyo and Kyoto, prior to our arrival in Maui. :-)

I get to check a bag for free on the way home, so that's how I'll bring my gear back. Will definitely plan ahead next time. Thanks again to all for the assist.

I'm so sorry you were unable to get the flat rate boxes at your post office. We have two post offices in town and they don't always have all sizes but at least know what the boxes are. Flat rate boxes go as priority mail. I am, though, happy to hear that your snorkel gear will be awaiting your arrival on Maui. Please let us know where you snorkel and how you like the locations. Have a great trip. Cherie

• 10 months later...
I'm so sorry you were unable to get the flat rate boxes at your post office. We have two post offices in town and they don't always have all sizes but at least know what the boxes are. Flat rate boxes go as priority mail. I am, though, happy to hear that your snorkel gear will be awaiting your arrival on Maui. Please let us know where you snorkel and how you like the locations. Have a great trip. Cherie

Thanks Cherie. Turns out we didn’t snorkel at all and mostly just enjoyed hanging out at our resort.