Bonaire or Curacao?

BahamaMama1214

Hmm, well my recommendation would be dependant on what you want to do in either port. As Bob said, Bonaire is world-renowned for snorkelling. We took a kayak/snorkel excursion there and it was phenomenal. Having said that, our first time to Bonaire we didn't have plans and spent a rather boring day just walking around (it was our choice, not complaining, just didn't make any plans).

Cucacao is charming with its colorful buildings and such, but is definitely commercialized in the vacinity of the cruise port. We have been there several times and have always taken a cab to Seaquarium Beach, where you can rent chairs and have lunch. Walking around downtown is a great way to end the day. IF I had to choose, this would be the port. :)

Hmm, well my recommendation would be dependant on what you want to do in either port. As Bob said, Bonaire is world-renowned for snorkelling. We took a kayak/snorkel excursion there and it was phenomenal. Having said that, our first time to Bonaire we didn't have plans and spent a rather boring day just walking around (it was our choice, not complaining, just didn't make any plans).

Cucacao is charming with its colorful buildings and such, but is definitely commercialized in the vacinity of the cruise port. We have been there several times and have always taken a cab to Seaquarium Beach, where you can rent chairs and have lunch. Walking around downtown is a great way to end the day. IF I had to choose, this would be the port. :)

Totally agree about the beach on Curacao, we have enjoyed Seaquarium (Mambo) Beach many times, down by the Lion's Dive resort.

we don't snorkel, but we found Bonaire's Luc (Lac) Bay mesmerizing. We simply adored the very shallow and calm aquamarine water for about a mile out. The kid loved it, we loved it.... The beach itself was tiny and unremarkable, but we spent about 4-5 hours in the water and would go back in a heartbeat. I read that snorkeling is great off an uninhabited Klein Bonaire island.

In Curacao I picked Pirate Beach (bar) and it was very unremarkable. The water was murky and meh, the beach rocky and unwelcoming, and we don't care for using the bars at all so it was useless to us. Although we appreciated having a bathroom to change in after the beach. Upon coming back to the ship, we took a stroll through town. It was very commercial, and it was hot and humid that day, so even our kid was miserable after about 40 minutes. Wifi at Starbucks was nice - and it worked outside the store as well. We looked at the floating bridge which was open at the time, and all the people that were stuck on it for a loooong time. That was it. Kind of boring and miserable.

We do enjoy snorkeling, and the kayaking excursion sounds fun! Might have to look into that.

Agree with the others that Bonaire is primarily a destination for snorkeling, If you do book a cruise that goes to Bonaire, and want to try drift snorkeling (its amazing) then quickly book a boat/snorkel tour on the "Woodwind" which is a private boat/tour. This relatively small boat quickly fills up so booking far in advance is a must. The Woodwind is owned and operated by a loverly young lady (Dee) and her husband and we cannot imagine being on Bonaire and not spending a few hours on her tour.

Hank

Curaçao is colorful, industrial, has salt flats and a floating walkable bridge. Bonaire has an offshore marine park and the best snorkeling in the Caribbean. We took a catamaran ship tour- the Sea Cow- and they have an onboard photographer who goes into the water and takes the best photos of the snorkelers and marine life!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on a Princess cruise last year that went to all three ABC islands. Unfortunately I sprained my wrist really bad in Fort Lauderdale the day before we sailed so I wasn't up to doing any snorkeling. But we enjoyed the tour of Bonaire we took--one of many available buses right at the port. I loved seeing the flamingos and salt flats. We had time to walk around town as well before our tour bus departed--and there's not a lot there. If I had to choose, I'd go back to Bonaire.

For snorkeling at Bonaire, these people do a fabulous job:

https://www.woodwindbonaire.com/

Agree with the others that Bonaire is primarily a destination for snorkeling, If you do book a cruise that goes to Bonaire, and want to try drift snorkeling (its amazing) then quickly book a boat/snorkel tour on the "Woodwind" which is a private boat/tour. This relatively small boat quickly fills up so booking far in advance is a must. The Woodwind is owned and operated by a loverly young lady (Dee) and her husband and we cannot imagine being on Bonaire and not spending a few hours on her tour.

Hank

Wholeheartedly agree! Bonaire had the best snorkeling we've ever experienced and the Woodwind crew was also the best - by far - that we've ever experienced. They are an outstanding operation.

I'll echo what's been said a few times now. Woodwind in Bonaire is one of the Caribbean's...if not the best...snorkeling excursions.

Aside from snorkeling, Bonaire is a great island to rent a car and explore on your own. Some don't like it because it's not commercialized to look like every other cruise port in the Caribbean, but that's why I love it. But the gimmick stores are starting to move in, so go now while its still somewhat quaint.

Lac Bay is beautiful. I could sit at Jibe City all day. You can walk out hundreds of yards in waist to chest deep water with white sand bottom.

The donkey sanctuary is fun to drive through, plus, you can drive by the pink salt flats, and up north to Goto Meer to see the flamingos. The drive along Queens Hwy is beautiful.

Wholeheartedly agree! Bonaire had the best snorkeling we've ever experienced and the Woodwind crew was also the best - by far - that we've ever experienced. They are an outstanding operation.

If you are going to Bonaire, don't snorkel but would enjoy seeing some gorgeous fish, I sugest taking a walk along the sea wall. When you come off the gangway,, you can easily walk the sidewalk along the seawall. and we so enjoyed seeing, colorful tropical fish swim right up to the seawall and we could see them without any swimming or getitng wet... We did that several times in Bonaire and never anywhere else did we see such a 'treat'.

Edited by sail7seas

Curacao-great place, highly commercialized, there is an oil refinery on the island, houses of every color, Dutch influence, we look forward to going again.

Bonaire-great place, snorkeling is great, not commercialized like Curacao, USD is the local currency, basically a desert island, covered with cactus, wild donkeys, a few flamingos, salt production facilities and abandoned slave quarters. Much more of an adventure than Curacao. We look forward to going again!

Thinking about that part of the world, it is sad that no one goes to Isla Margarita (Venezuela) anymore...cheap beer and great scenery! :cool:

We have been to Bonaire and Curacao many, many times.

We love Bonaire better. The new dock is a bit longer walk to where the few stores are. Not many shops are open where the ships now dock.

We did enjoy our tour around Bonaire to see the Flamingos and salt flats.

Curacao does have the colorful buildings. A couple of times we were there with 2 other ships and it was crowded walking around the streets.

We had some great times in Curacao including a 10 day stay in a resort but many times on ships. I recall when the locals would shoot of f firworks for hal SHIPS AT SAILAWAY. THEY WOULD stand on the sgtgrets abutting the harbor, htey an d us on the ship would enjoy the pretty fireworks. Been years since tthey sttopped doinf that. dH an I had some wonderful dinnersin Curacao when we had a late sailaay. Wer lovedfd tort a table t with a view to the 'travel posster' pASTEL C olorred buiildings across the harbor and enjoy a nice dinner with some wine. :) Easy walk back to the ship. after dinner The people there are so nice..

On our first cruise to Curacao on a Princess ship, we had a 10 pm sailaway. We booked the Ultimate Balcony Dinner that night and enjoyed watching the sunset and the holiday lights (week before Christmas) as we ate the dinner on our balcony.

I have not been to Curacao but loved Bonaire! I don't snorkel but the beach was great and I felt very safe wandering around the town. Don't miss the flamingos on the sidewalks! Lots of shops that are not cookie cutters of the other islands, and very friendly people. I had no intention of buying souvenirs but found so many unique items I had quite a bagful to carry back to the ship.

I have not been to Curacao but loved Bonaire! I don't snorkel but the beach was great and I felt very safe wandering around the town. Don't miss the flamingos on the sidewalks! Lots of shops that are not cookie cutters of the other islands, and very friendly people. I had no intention of buying souvenirs but found so many unique items I had quite a bagful to carry back to the ship.

This is great to know!!!

This is great to know!!!

We cannot speak of Bonaire and Curacao and not mention Aruba. Another wonderful island. We also have b een there many times on ships but also stayed at resort for a week or two. These Dutch islands are among the very best int he Caibbean, IMO>