Hawaii Port Car Rentals

pappy3393

We rented cars on every stop of the POA. Found it fairly easy to rent every car. We joined the thrifty blue chip program and most of our rentals were with Thrifty. We rarely waited for a shuttle more then 15 minutes. We rented all our cars thru Autoslash.com. Great experience. They continually checked the rates and canceled and rebooked for us if the rates went down. No upfront credit cards required. No issues at any of our cruise stops and I found the prices to be better on auto slash then I could book myself.

My rates with taxes and fees were:

Maui (OGG) 2 days $64 (+$12 to park at Airport)

Hilo Airport Thrifty 1 day $42

Kona (KING KAMEHAMEHA HOTEL) Hertz $29

Kauai (LIH) Thrifty 2 days (+$20 to park at anchor mall) $57

Did you have to take taxis from the Maui OGg airport back to the ship after parking the car...if so how much was the taxi and if taxied from anchor mall or is it walking distance ? Thanks

Did you have to take taxis from the Maui OGg airport back to the ship after parking the car...if so how much was the taxi and if taxied from anchor mall or is it walking distance ? Thanks

If your rental car agency shuttle is still running back and forth to the ship (check with agency for hours of service), you walk over to the rental agency and catch the shuttle. If it is too late, you walk over to the airport building (not far in either case) and catch a cab from there back to the ship. We believe Uber is not allowed to pick up passengers at the airport. You can google the cab fare. It is less than three miles to the dock area where the ship is located. We aren't sure what you mean by anchor mall, but if you are asking about if the walk between the airport and ship is possible, do note that it is not one to be done after dark.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

We rented cars on every stop of the POA. Found it fairly easy to rent every car. We joined the thrifty blue chip program and most of our rentals were with Thrifty. We rarely waited for a shuttle more then 15 minutes. We rented all our cars thru Autoslash.com. Great experience. They continually checked the rates and canceled and rebooked for us if the rates went down. No upfront credit cards required. No issues at any of our cruise stops and I found the prices to be better on auto slash then I could book myself.

My rates with taxes and fees were:

Maui (OGG) 2 days $64 (+$12 to park at Airport)

Hilo Airport Thrifty 1 day $42

Kona (KING KAMEHAMEHA HOTEL) Hertz $29

Kauai (LIH) Thrifty 2 days (+$20 to park at anchor mall) $57

Do you remember the time you dropped off your vehicle in maui and kauai for overnight parking? Did you take the rental agencies shuttle back to the ship or a taxi back to the ship? if so, around how much was the taxi? Your itinerary sounds perfect for me , but I just need to know what time the shuttle stops running to get back to the ship. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

We will be doing Radiance of the Seas in May 2019. The ship will overnight in both Maui and in Kauai, so essentially we will have two full days in each port. In a case like ours, we have no qualms about renting cars. We will look into picking up cars at the airport (taking a cab to the car and a cab back). Hey, it is the cost of travelling. This way we can see what we want and not have to worry about all the stragglers slowly making their way back to the tour bus. I have little patience in that regard. Heck, we are even considering spending a night at a Maui or Kauai hotel (if the ship allows us) as we have loads of Marriott and Hilton Honor points to get rid of (then we could park our car at the hotel for the night!!!)

All of the above - as you, this is our third cruise on the POA and I said no more car rentals. I think just the hours on shuttles and lines acquiring the car really always put a damper on the day,,,,,THEN returning the car. Oh yes, and parking is impossible Everywhere!

Also.....the GPS issue - all of the streets starting with K then sounding the same :D

We have found HI has very friendly and fun drivers - we called and are meeting the driver we had last year - he gave us a million dollar tour on Kaui, even snuck us into a private garden that was amazing!

I actually commented once that driving around the islands can turn a Honeymoon into a Divorce:rolleyes:

Would you please share how you found a driver? I am very interested in this option. Thank you

Debbie (Dr Delta)