SailorJill and I Sail on the Orient Express a.k.a. Millenium's Immersion Cruise

SailorJack

Sorry Jack. it was a joke. Because the dollar was a highly sought out commodity, we could not carry dollars "in country" at the time. :)

No problem. I just had no idea that the US was using script in Vietnam. I thought that went out after the Civil War. I am surprised that I just learned about this now - given all the people I know who served in Vietnam. Just goes to show what you can learn on CruiseCritic.:D

Jack

Out of all the halls in the prison, only two small ones included displays of the American prisoners. This sign sort of set the mood. Notice the sign said "North of Vietnam" and not "North Vietnam." The implication being that there never was two Vietnams.

36269156653_af0d20fa70_o.jpg

This photo purports to show Vietnamese rescuing a downed American pilot.

36247620534_29a8f72560_o.jpg

An American pilot's flight suit and parachute.

36912356772_505b588c0c_o.jpg

These photos purport to show just how happy the American prisoners were. Here they are playing board games, opening their mail from home, and sitting around talking.

37082723545_7427a7aa08_o.jpg

These photos show how well the American prisoners were treated to medical care. Not only were they treated for illnesses, according to the messages by the photos, but they received physical exams to ensure good health.

36247617334_ba389594f4_o.jpg

The typical prison uniform. You can see the prisoner in the previous photo (laying in the bed) wearing one of these.

36912354772_980c8063af_o.jpg

We have left the prison and are heading for our next stop - a rickshaw ride through downtown Hanoi. This should be interesting. Here are a few photos of Hanoi on the way...

Notice the name of the shopping center is in Vietnamese, but then we are told it is a "Plaza".:D We were in Vietnam just after the Chinese New Year (the year of the Rooster) so signs abound!

36532090773_5c89e292cd_o.jpg

Everywhere you looked you saw trees. This had to be the "greenest" city we have ever visited.

36532089343_29cb19b68a_o.jpg

Even fruit trees along the main road. I guess it would be hard to be hungry when snacks are hanging from trees.

37153817406_ff8048f8b8_o.jpg

While most of the city appeared quite modern (due to reconstruction as a result the American bombing we were told) there were still areas where old Hanoi was visible.

36532084943_34d6ca1caf_o.jpg

37344864545_674c7e9ca3_o.jpg

These photos purport to show just how happy the American prisoners were.

These photos show how well the American prisoners were treated to medical care.

I remember we were showed some of these photos, and I especially remember a video of one of the prisoners.

He was saying how well all of them were treated. But, some folks in the military noticed he was blinking in a weird type pattern.

It turns out, he was blinking in Morris Code. He spelled out:

T O R T U R E

Some of the French culture still exists. Here a building is labeled "Rue des Chats", which I think means Street of Cats, or Cat Street. I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

37171761842_f6504db2d5_o.jpg

In probably one of the most telling buildings - here is the Stock Exchange. How non-communist can you get!

37344858695_7feb0cdf2e_o.jpg

Some of the old ways still exist. Here a lady is carrying her product just as they did decades ago.

37171767322_4b0c19ee98_o.jpg

Of course, there are morn modern ways to carry stuff.:D

36532082453_df68987ca8_o.jpg

A VERY rare sight in Hanoi - a traffic circle with hardly any cars.

37344859475_ce9f26d12a_o.jpg

Of course, if you get tired walking around downtown Hanoi you can always stop by the Cosa Nostra coffee shop and bar!:D

37171759752_6e7f794022_o.jpg

Rickshaw ride anyone? We have arrived at our rickshaw station and are treated to a very fun one hour ride around downtown Hanoi. It was a unique experience with cars and motorcycles dodging in and out around our rickshaw.

36506512824_f42b2928a8_o.jpg

I remember we were showed some of these photos, and I especially remember a video of one of the prisoners.

He was saying how well all of them were treated. But, some folks in the military noticed he was blinking in a weird type pattern.

It turns out, he was blinking in Morris Code. He spelled out:

T O R T U R E

I think I have heard stories similar to that. That American prisoners were maltreated is undeniable, but, of course, there was no reference at all to that in the displays that were in the prison.

I had no idea they used these outside of France - and they had 16 of them! You have to wonder how many executions they had.

That was our thought also. How do you keep 16 of these things active. But then again, this was a terrible place to begin with.

This is part of our rickshaw caravan. Do we look really cool or what!:D

36947115350_02c200cbd9_o.jpg

You would never know we were tourists. But it was kinda fun.

36947113840_abba269cbf_o.jpg

At the end of our ride we were dropped off at a major shopping area...go figure. The cost of the ride was included in the cost of the tour, but we tipped the driver a dollar or two.

37153747516_1624135e28_o.jpg

We have arrived at a park and a lake location in downtown Hanoi. Our guide has told us that this area was heavily bombed during the war, but it appears to have been rehabilitated quite nicely.

37344849065_eca4406098_k.jpg

This is Ly Thai To park - named after...Ly Thai To...the founder and first ruler of the Ly Dynasty in Vietnam (1009-1028).

36506514434_3a1ddc14d9_k.jpg

Just across the street from the park is a little lake with a pagoda on a small island. It is Hoan Kiem Lake which translates to Lake of the Returned Sword - or "Sword Lake" for short. It is located in the historical center of Vietnam and is a center for public life in Hanoi. The pagoda looking building on the island is "Turtle Tower." The name of the Lake and the Tower stem from an interesting Vietnamese legend that is far to complicated to relate in this short space.

36506511404_935c6b1e71_k.jpg

Some people of Vietnam.

Jill saw this baby and asked the father if she could take a picture. He very proudly and graciously consented.:D

36947271220_efa9d460eb_o.jpg

I spotted this young couple and their child enjoying a stroll along the lake.

37201479781_7c9023f3b1_o.jpg

Newlyweds. One can see that this area really is a place for social gathering in central Hanoi.

37344820075_3873391c6a_o.jpg

What better place to text but on a nice park bench by the lake.

37344842045_e8230c9f2a_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
This is the first review of yours I have read. I'm trying not to laugh at work and I am snorting. killing me!

I have to look for your older reviews!

This is great!!

Glad you enjoyed it. Links to my other reviews are in my signature below.

Jack

Hi SailorJack,

I read most of your other reviews, and am still laughing!!;p

I was going to review our next cruise onCC, but am a little intimidated by your peerless style!

We are going on the Costa neoRiviera at the end of the month, to the Southern Indian Ocean, stopping in Madagascar ( where the plague is running rampant), not once, but in 3 separate ports.

I am imagining your review of the situation and already crying:')

Til the next review!

N

Hi SailorJack,

I read most of your other reviews, and am still laughing!!;p

I was going to review our next cruise onCC, but am a little intimidated by your peerless style!

We are going on the Costa neoRiviera at the end of the month, to the Southern Indian Ocean, stopping in Madagascar ( where the plague is running rampant), not once, but in 3 separate ports.

I am imagining your review of the situation and already crying:')

Til the next review!

N

I have never sailed on Costa, but your itinerary sounds most interesting to say the least! And please do write a review - I would be most interested to read it.

Have a safe and enjoyable cruise.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from an incredible 24 day cruise in Europe which delayed my photos for this cruise. Back to business!:D

One of the most enjoyable things to do in Hanoi is attend the water puppet theatre. It is a must if you have the time.

36532012133_a5b49d2081_o.jpg

Street vendors were everywhere downtown.

36947127220_6ddd83d573_o.jpg

But be a little careful. They like to entice you with a "free" sample, but then put on a hard sell if you don't then buy some.

37153749456_2662b61f34_o.jpg

Just back from an incredible 24 day cruise in Europe which delayed my photos for this cruise. Back to business!:D
What ship was that on? I don't want to miss the review when you post it. I'm still really enjoying your photos from this cruise. These are places I'll never get to visit, and it feels like I'm there through your pictures.

What ship was that on? I don't want to miss the review when you post it. I'm still really enjoying your photos from this cruise. These are places I'll never get to visit, and it feels like I'm there through your pictures.

We were on the Viking Aegir. We basically sailed through Europe - starting at the Black Sea and ending at the North Sea. We visited 19 ports in Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia, Hungary, Austria, Germany, and the Netherlands. It was an awesome cruise, but unfortunately I cannot write a review of the cruise. Which is too bad because there was a lot to write about.:D

Jack