And this is why we must go back to the Caribbean....

Atocha Shipwreck Gal

I see where lots of people are looking to cancel cruises to the Caribbean before final payment. I hope people will reconsider. The islands that are trying to recover need us to return.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-storms-moved-on-the-caribbean-islands-fear-the-tourists-might-too/ar-AAso6pJ?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

I see where lots of people are looking to cancel cruises to the Caribbean before final payment. I hope people will reconsider. The islands that are trying to recover need us to return.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-storms-moved-on-the-caribbean-islands-fear-the-tourists-might-too/ar-AAso6pJ?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Although I understand, I also understand that people have the right to cancel if the itinerary has changed. Many ports are closed until further notice. If I paid for a cruise to go to St. Martin and St. Thomas and the itinerary was changed to a sea day and Nassau, yes, I would cancel and rebook when the Islands were ready. It is my vacation and if I wanted to see devastation, I would join the Red Cross. It is not a matter of the people getting the tourist dollar. They will get my dollar, just not today. I don't think I should be made to feel guilty. As I stated, it is my "Vacation" which I work very hard for, saving my pennies. PS: I donated $200 to the Red Cross. May not be a lot, but is all I can afford at the moment.

PS: I donated $200 to the Red Cross. May not be a lot, but is all I can afford at the moment.

Well done!, Anyone wishing to help by making a small donation should check https://www.charitynavigator.org first.

The Red Cross isn't the best but about 90% of your donation will go to actual charity. There are even better ones. I like Direct Relief where 99.4% of your donation goes to those in need. They are also very effective and fast at getting that relief to the impacted areas.

There are some truly horrible charities out there in addition to many outright scams. So prior to giving check out that Charity Navigator site and ensure your help is going where you think.

Well done!, Anyone wishing to help by making a small donation should check https://www.charitynavigator.org first.

The Red Cross isn't the best but about 90% of your donation will go to actual charity. There are even better ones. I like Direct Relief where 99.4% of your donation goes to those in need. They are also very effective and fast at getting that relief to the impacted areas.

There are some truly horrible charities out there in addition to many outright scams. So prior to giving check out that Charity Navigator site and ensure your help is going where you think.

We made a donation via RCCL for Irma & Maria recovery, thanks to an email link we received, because they are making matching contributions up to $1,000,000.

First off- I totally agree with spending our money in ports to assist in the rebuilding.

However, as another poster said in a different thread; "Unfortunately, there is NOWHERE to spend your money". We cannot shop when the stores have been leveled, let alone, walk around. So or now, I help with my checkbook and when the ports are ready again, I will be booking another Caribbean cruise.

Right now, I am not canceling because I am sure there will be substitute ports.

If it was before final payment I would cancel my cruise. If the itinerary has changed and the ships aren't calling on these devastated ports then how are you helping their economy? When I book a cruise the itinerary is my first priority. I realize that ports can change after final payment or while sailing due to situations like weather or political issues. I also realize that Celebrity would drop me like a hot potato if I booked a cruise and they got an offer for a charter so I have no sympathy for the cruise line losing business. I'm a firm believer that charity beings at home and I haven't seen much support for Florida or Texas. Having friends who have sill not fully recovered from Sandy 5 years ago I know that FEMA is no picnic.

If it was before final payment I would cancel my cruise. If the itinerary has changed and the ships aren't calling on these devastated ports then how are you helping their economy? When I book a cruise the itinerary is my first priority. I realize that ports can change after final payment or while sailing due to situations like weather or political issues. I also realize that Celebrity would drop me like a hot potato if I booked a cruise and they got an offer for a charter so I have no sympathy for the cruise line losing business. I'm a firm believer that charity beings at home and I haven't seen much support for Florida or Texas. Having friends who have sill not fully recovered from Sandy 5 years ago I know that FEMA is no picnic.

Right behind you in my thoughts. My Aunt has a summer home in Ortley Beach, NJ. Her home was leveled. Fema???? Ha. They don't even help if it is your "second" residence/summer home, from what I understand. She has gone thru hell in the past 5 years.

I don't think people will stop cruising the Caribbean. It's warm and lots of people live in places that are cold in the winter and want an escape. I would actually welcome the new ports. The same old, same old cast of characters is getting boring.

As for donating at home, we didn't see much of the Red Cross here in Florida, but we saw a LOT of neighbors helping neighbors. And a ton of power trucks from other parts of the country. Thanks!

Since the ships won't stop at the destroyed ports it will NOT help those locations so why not cancel especially if those ports are why you booked in the first place. Sorry Won't give to Red Cross - doesn't give the majority of the donation accepted to those who need it. Goodwill around here cheat disabled employees by paying them 1/2 of what non disabled employees get, So they won't get my $$$ either. I'll sail where the people are ready to accept tourists.

Although I understand, I also understand that people have the right to cancel if the itinerary has changed. Many ports are closed until further notice. If I paid for a cruise to go to St. Martin and St. Thomas and the itinerary was changed to a sea day and Nassau, yes, I would cancel and rebook when the Islands were ready. It is my vacation and if I wanted to see devastation, I would join the Red Cross. It is not a matter of the people getting the tourist dollar. They will get my dollar, just not today. I don't think I should be made to feel guilty. As I stated, it is my "Vacation" which I work very hard for, saving my pennies. PS: I donated $200 to the Red Cross. May not be a lot, but is all I can afford at the moment.

Very well said.

If it was before final payment I would cancel my cruise. If the itinerary has changed and the ships aren't calling on these devastated ports then how are you helping their economy?

As for donating at home, we didn't see much of the Red Cross here in Florida, but we saw a LOT of neighbors helping neighbors. And a ton of power trucks from other parts of the country.

The two of you are right in line with what's going on. Islands helping other islands. For instance Antigua wasn't hit, and they are helping out those from Dominica and Barbuda. And they need tourists to help that happen.

Really no different than a person from Louisiana coming over to Texas with their boat. Except that people aren't NOT going to New Orleans just because Houston got hit hard.

I don't think people will stop cruising the Caribbean. It's warm and lots of people live in places that are cold in the winter and want an escape. I would actually welcome the new ports. The same old, same old cast of characters is getting boring.

As for donating at home, we didn't see much of the Red Cross here in Florida, but we saw a LOT of neighbors helping neighbors. And a ton of power trucks from other parts of the country. Thanks!

Your "thanks" for the electrical trucks and manpower from other areas is appreciated. I'm in Canada...my friend's son and others from the community (Ontario Hydro) started the drive down day after Irma hit Florida and they're still there (somewhere) helping with the power restoration. You're right...good neighbours help neighbours, whether it's the house next door or the country next door.

Your "thanks" for the electrical trucks and manpower from other areas is appreciated. I'm in Canada...my friend's son and others from the community (Ontario Hydro) started the drive down day after Irma hit Florida and they're still there (somewhere) helping with the power restoration. You're right...good neighbours help neighbours, whether it's the house next door or the country next door.

<3<3<3 Thanks Ontario Hydro! We greatly appreciate the assistance.