Service Charge/Tip/Choice Promotion serv Charge question??

stone1061

I havent been on a cruise in over 5 yrs so things have changed quite a bit regarding tipping.

On my bill it says I paid $199.08 "choice promotion service charge".... I can also pre-pay the service charge of $378.00 ahead of time I am assuming that covers the daily charges..

I am not sure what is covering what and how much more I may be charged once I am on board... I have read NCL site and googled but my brain is not connecting to the info I am seeking out...LOL....any help would be greatly appreciated in clarifying this. I am a party of 4...

I havent been on a cruise in over 5 yrs so things have changed quite a bit regarding tipping.

On my bill it says I paid $199.08 "choice promotion service charge".... I can also pre-pay the service charge of $378.00 ahead of time I am assuming that covers the daily charges..

I am not sure what is covering what and how much more I may be charged once I am on board... I have read NCL site and googled but my brain is not connecting to the info I am seeking out...LOL....any help would be greatly appreciated in clarifying this. I am a party of 4...

t

I believe the choice promotion charge is for whichever promo you chose, as in, the beverage package, etc.

The service charge is for the staff, as in, your room steward, bar staff, wait staff, etc.

t

I believe the choice promotion charge is for whichever promo you chose, as in, the beverage package, etc.

The service charge is for the staff, as in, your room steward, bar staff, wait staff, etc.

I did take the drink package promotion and 2nd and 3rd person free... so the 199 must be for that.

If I prepay the service charge than that covers my tipping for the week then? thanks for your reply

I did take the drink package promotion and 2nd and 3rd person free... so the 199 must be for that.

Guests 1 & 2 have the UBP. The service charge for that is $99.54 each. Guests 3 & 4 were free other than port fees and taxes.

If I prepay the service charge than that covers my tipping for the week then? thanks for your reply

The DSC in your case is either $13.50 or $13.99 per person per day. $378 would have been the older/lower rate (for 4 people over age 3). It is currently $13.99 pppd for non-suites (NCL Sky is different)

Look at your current MyNCL for the current pre-pay DSC price.

You can tip more or nothing extra at all.

Guests 1 & 2 have the UBP. The service charge for that is $99.54 each. Guests 3 & 4 were free other than port fees and taxes.

The DSC in your case is either $13.50 or $13.99 per person per day. $378 would have been the older/lower rate (for 4 people over age 3). It is currently $13.99 pppd for non-suites (NCL Sky is different)

Look at your current MyNCL for the current pre-pay DSC price.

You can tip more or nothing extra at all.

thank you so very much for breaking it down for me. The DSC 378.00 is what is showing when I log into my NCL account and is giving me the option to pay it in advance which i may do to get it out of the way. My main concern is that i didnt have any surprises when i get my bill at the end of the vacation.

It looks like as one of your perks you chose the Beverage package. The service charges on that are the $199.08. The $378, is your daily service charge for all four travelers. Unless you are in a suite there are no other tips, service charges, or gratuities expected.

If you buy something from the bar that is not in the UBP, you pay 18% of that. The spa and specialty restaurants are the same. If the 3rd and 4th passengers are children and you buy them a soda package you are charged the 18% on that as well.

What you do as far as extra gratuities on board teh ship, or on excursions is entirely up to you.

thank you so very much for breaking it down for me. The DSC 378.00 is what is showing when I log into my NCL account and is giving me the option to pay it in advance which i may do to get it out of the way. My main concern is that i didnt have any surprises when i get my bill at the end of the vacation.

We usually pay the DSC in advance to avoid having it on the final bill. We have mastered the art of not using any more than our "on board credit" amount after pre-paying the DSC, and often walk off the ship without an additional charge.

NCL isn't any worse than other lines for what's included and what costs extra. Their beverage plan is a little different, it only covers bar drinks and does not include canned soda, specialty coffee, bottled water, or energy drinks (you can get soda, coffee and water from a bar). Depending on the ship you sail, you can view your onboard account on the TV in the stateroom and see the charges day by day.

Other than the difference in the beverage plan, and the gratuity you pay on it when you take it as a promo (which other lines have not yet implemented), the NCL fees and charges are pretty much the same as other mass market lines in its class.

Other than the difference in the beverage plan, and the gratuity you pay on it when you take it as a promo (which other lines have not yet implemented), the NCL fees and charges are pretty much the same as other mass market lines in its class.

Except that on other lines people can use their nonrefundable OBC towards their daily gratuities whereas NCL will not apply such OBC to the DSC.

You pay the promo service charge when you book. The DSC can either be pre-paid or added to your onboard account. If you pre-pay that you will have no surprise charges on your bill. The only things on your bill will be things that you charge onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums