train trip overnight in India - Cochin area

windsor26

• 3 weeks later...

We've not taken a long train trip in India, but were surprised on a local train ride in Mumbai to find that many of the signs do not have any English - including signs that tell you where the trains are going. Luckily, we were not on the train during rush hour and a nice guy helped us find the correct train after the train we were on went right by the stop we wanted because...surprise....it was an express train! Sounds like you have an interesting trip planned. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've not taken a long train trip in India, but were surprised on a local train ride in Mumbai to find that many of the signs do not have any English - including signs that tell you where the trains are going. Luckily, we were not on the train during rush hour and a nice guy helped us find the correct train after the train we were on went right by the stop we wanted because...surprise....it was an express train! Sounds like you have an interesting trip planned. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for your reply Glad you enjoyed your experience It is just for 10 hours we wanted to know what people had found regarding food and bathroom facilities I am sure it will be a hoot:evilsmile:

Thank you for your reply Glad you enjoyed your experience It is just for 10 hours we wanted to know what people had found regarding food and bathroom facilities I am sure it will be a hoot:evilsmile:
Reminds me of the Spike Milligan story.He was on a train in India and he had dysentry.He had an "accident" but he didn't worry too much as he had a spare pair of trousers in his suitcase so he thru his strides out of the window.He then opened his case and found a cardigan.

Reminds me of the Spike Milligan story.He was on a train in India and he had dysentry.He had an "accident" but he didn't worry too much as he had a spare pair of trousers in his suitcase so he thru his strides out of the window.He then opened his case and found a cardigan.

That was a gem I remember They do not have good clean comics any more without swearing they are lost:(

LOL,us Brits and you Aussies share the the same humour.Cheers,Brian.

Just - unfortunately a slight correction we are still Brits although we would love to become Aussies they say we are too old so just stay and pay but I do agree all my friends here love UK hunour particularly the 1960 and 1970 tv shows probably now non PC

Hi,we haven't done a train journey,but we done the Golden Triangle this year.Me being a retired London plumber with constitusion of an ox was ok until the last day when we had to fly to Dubai and I woke up with Delhi belly.We boarded the P&O Aurora 2 days later feeling rough and lying on the boarding form.I suggest if you are staying in a good hotel prior to train journey,just get a packed meal from them.We dined in good class venues on our tour except for the last day back to Delhi when we stopped at a roadside restaurant with an outside buffet.Big mistake although there is no definate proof for this,it could have been a unhygenic kitchen worker in our 4 star hotel the last evening,but at least you have more of a chance in better standard venues,good luck,cheers,Brian.

Hi,we haven't done a train journey,but we done the Golden Triangle this year.Me being a retired London plumber with constitusion of an ox was ok until the last day when we had to fly to Dubai and I woke up with Delhi belly.We boarded the P&O Aurora 2 days later feeling rough and lying on the boarding form.I suggest if you are staying in a good hotel prior to train journey,just get a packed meal from them.We dined in good class venues on our tour except for the last day back to Delhi when we stopped at a roadside restaurant with an outside buffet.Big mistake although there is no definate proof for this,it could have been a unhygenic kitchen worker in our 4 star hotel the last evening,but at least you have more of a chance in better standard venues,good luck,cheers,Brian.

Hi Brian we also did the Golden Triangle this year with absolutely no trouble (one venue we purchased a bottle of water from we noted the bottle was unsealed so gave it back and went elsewhere Then saw a worker filling bottles from a kettle in the back of the shop) which is why DH wants to try Southern India (Also a retired plumber) We are not at all worried about food anywhere except the train as water would not be securely obtained I am going to take muesli bars and cheese biscuit snacks wrapped and Dare coffee to get us through plastic bags over our feet IF REQUIRED for the bathroom visits and we are set It is only 10 hours and will be an experience

We have travelled overnight by train from Goa to Cochin. The hardest part was getting tickets for a sleeper berth as they sell out months in advance. I do not recommend going any lower than 2nd class A/C. Food on board is very limited, better if you like vegetarian. Facilities very basic. After arriving in Cochin we stayed at The Old Habour hotel, pure luxury after the train.

We have travelled overnight by train from Goa to Cochin. The hardest part was getting tickets for a sleeper berth as they sell out months in advance. I do not recommend going any lower than 2nd class A/C. Food on board is very limited, better if you like vegetarian. Facilities very basic. After arriving in Cochin we stayed at The Old Habour hotel, pure luxury after the train.

Thanks for your reply This journey is part of an organised 10 day tour and the company is/has organised the train tickets and etc so I am sure they will give us the best we have paid for. Using Intrepid Travel :evilsmile:

• 2 weeks later...

I did an overnight train from Goa to Cochin about 10 years ago and am still traumatised. I think it was 2nd class sleeper, I didn't book it..

Boarded at midnight and fought my way to seat.I was with a group of women travelling together and we were leered at by the men in the carriage

The sheet on the bunk was disgusting, luckily I had a sarong to wrap myself in.

I tried to hold off using the toilet but eventually had to face the ordeal. The toilet looked like it had never been cleaned!

Took own snacks and bottled water, hawkers got on at stops selling banana fritters and chai tea.

It is not an experience I would repeat:loudcry:

I did an overnight train from Goa to Cochin about 10 years ago and am still traumatised. I think it was 2nd class sleeper, I didn't book it..

Boarded at midnight and fought my way to seat.I was with a group of women travelling together and we were leered at by the men in the carriage

The sheet on the bunk was disgusting, luckily I had a sarong to wrap myself in.

I tried to hold off using the toilet but eventually had to face the ordeal. The toilet looked like it had never been cleaned!

Took own snacks and bottled water, hawkers got on at stops selling banana fritters and chai tea.

It is not an experience I would repeat:loudcry:

sounds gruesome Glad it was 10 years ago and we are going as a tour group with everything previously booked by a reputable company Thanks for your reply