Solo ESCAPE 9/23/17

CruizinCutieJulia

Thanks for the tip!!

The CC community always comes on strong when needed. My luggage is currently under the bed, I wonder how far bad I drove the baskets shoving that under there?? LOL

CC meet and greet was a lot of fun. Nice to meet the officers and Andre the CD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your life vest is in one of the baskets. I put that in my suitcase and keep underneath near the head of the bed and put the 2 baskets towards the end so that I can access them easier (more floor space). I didn't know about the baskets the first time I stayed in a studio either...makes life much easier (y)

And in case you didn't know, the little square hassock next to the bed opens up too. You can keep smaller items (socks, underwear, pjs, etc.) in there. :)

Your life vest is in one of the baskets. I put that in my suitcase and keep underneath near the head of the bed and put the 2 baskets towards the end so that I can access them easier (more floor space). I didn't know about the baskets the first time I stayed in a studio either...makes life much easier (y)

And in case you didn't know, the little square hassock next to the bed opens up too. You can keep smaller items (socks, underwear, pjs, etc.) in there. :)

So I finally made it back to the room to clean up for the evening events...

There aren't any baskets under my bed- just my suitcase and what looks to be a large plastic bag filled with extra linens.

What is a hassock?

All, I have to take a minute to rave about the service on the Escape! I travel solo quite often and I always laugh at how many people truly can not fathom spending time alone or being "brave" enough to venture out alone. But when you think about it, cruising has to be one of the safest ways to travel.

As a solo, having a secure room to return to, everywhere you travel to late at night is well lit with plenty of attentive staff, you don't have worry about not having a DD, etc.

The staff on this ship are so accommodating. No one has made me feel any kind of way for being solo, they ask lots of questions about my travel and everyone I have had a chance to converse with has had wonderful stories to tell me about their home countries and/or their time on ship. The service in the main dining rooms has been too notch!!

If anyone following along has any reservations about cruising solo, please feel free to ask questions and if not, don't be scared to try it. It is a wonderful experience!!!

thanks for the review...I've considered cruising solo in the past but haven't yet...so were you originally scheduled for an eastern itinerary? if so, how is the excursion situation now? did everyone have to wait until onboard to book?

Yes, we were originally scheduled to the east. Excursions were difficult only really because sailing was so close to hurricane irmas impact on the home offices in Miami. I'm assuming things are going much smoother for cruises that have been changed further out.

For our sailing they were still updating the itinerary and switching it online and refunding previously purchased excursions. All booking for our sailing had to be done in ship.

Many people were concerned about this HOWEVER Norwegian handled it extremely well. They made many announcements about how to book excursions. They handed out flyers and gave many ways to book not just visiting the shore excursion desk. Also, they were very understanding that many people would just be playing it by ear and also had shore excursion staffers out on the pier to direct and sell excursions to the very last minute.

I think NCL did a great job of listening to people concerned they had planned for so long for the eastern itinerary and really tried to think ahead to what would be easiest for the guests.

NCL is definitely winning with me for how they've handled this hurricane season!

So today I learned where you get your money's worth on Vibe passes. Silly me, before today I was walking in and chatting with the bartenders, grabbing a drink and sitting just in front of the bar to the right.

However, if you sit down to the left (more forward) you get a little better breeze, and the misters go off every 10 or so minutes and keep you cool! That coupled with rounds of chilled towels, fresh ice water and other adult beverages being brought around, and then Rommel comes by and directly mists you with a homemade spray bottle ... [emoji383][emoji383][emoji383][emoji383][emoji383]

So I finally made it back to the room to clean up for the evening events...

There aren't any baskets under my bed- just my suitcase and what looks to be a large plastic bag filled with extra linens.

What is a hassock?

Don't worry. there are no baskets or lidded stools on Escape. They are in the Epic studios though.

Strangely, the stools in the studio lounge do have removable lids.

Your review isn't mentioning the solo club. Are you not attending the gatherings?

Ok... this doesn't really have anything to do with solo travel, but is norwegian specific. I have been hearing all week about the great deal for cruisenext certificates and the people at the desk were so informative about other deals and ways to make it work best for you.

That was soooo not the experience I just got. I walked up and there was a lady standing in front of the counter didn't say anything to me, I wasn't sure if I was even in the right place. Then a man behind the desk said hello so I walked up and asked how it worked because there are a lot of options now. All he said was, "is this your first cruise" which it's not but during the last cruise I was too focused on the party to think about cruise next.

Long story short, he gave me the 2 cent rundown of the basic program. Another cruise critic user has already told me so much more about other parts of the program that when he finished I said, "ooook......" expecting more and he said yeah it's just like a gift card to use for another cruise and we give you money back.

I came directly to sit down and write this because it's the first time since Saturday that I feel like I was overlooked and it was by what is essentially the sales team on board!! Not sure if it's how I'm currently dressed or that I'm a solo traveler this trip or what, but it was pretty disappointing.

I'll go back later and try to schedule a meeting with their manager who was incredibly nice at the meet and greet. But yeah... not feeling the nextcruise buzz at all right now [emoji1361]

So excited to read your review. I'm doing my first NCL cruise in January - solo in a studio. Thank you for taking the time to post! Would love to see pics of your room and curious how the solo gatherings have been?

I'm not a good solo traveler for the organized meetings. I prefer to meet people at the places I already like to hang out and usually find people that I have much more in common with. Cruise critic roll call and our Facebook group got me acquainted with a couple solo travels in my sailing, but I learned I had much more fun with some other couples from cc meet and greet I ran back into in Vibe and the other bars I like to hang out at. I haven't seen the other solos since the first meet and greet but have made a lot of other friends.

I'll try to check out tomorrow solo Meetup to see what it's like and report back though.

Thanks for your posts. My third studio cruise is approaching and I enjoy reading about your experiences. The room pictures help to refresh my memory about what to pack, like the extension cord. I tend to over pack, but still managed to find a place for everything. I didn't unpack everything, for example items I would use in ports and used my suitcase for laundry and items I no longer needed. I was more concerned about forgetting something I put in one of the nooks.

Ok... this doesn't really have anything to do with solo travel, but is norwegian specific. I have been hearing all week about the great deal for cruisenext certificates and the people at the desk were so informative about other deals and ways to make it work best for you.

That was soooo not the experience I just got. I walked up and there was a lady standing in front of the counter didn't say anything to me, I wasn't sure if I was even in the right place. Then a man behind the desk said hello so I walked up and asked how it worked because there are a lot of options now. All he said was, "is this your first cruise" which it's not but during the last cruise I was too focused on the party to think about cruise next.

Long story short, he gave me the 2 cent rundown of the basic program. Another cruise critic user has already told me so much more about other parts of the program that when he finished I said, "ooook......" expecting more and he said yeah it's just like a gift card to use for another cruise and we give you money back.

I came directly to sit down and write this because it's the first time since Saturday that I feel like I was overlooked and it was by what is essentially the sales team on board!! Not sure if it's how I'm currently dressed or that I'm a solo traveler this trip or what, but it was pretty disappointing.

I'll go back later and try to schedule a meeting with their manager who was incredibly nice at the meet and greet. But yeah... not feeling the nextcruise buzz at all right now [emoji1361]

Sorry this was your experience with CruiseNext. I've encountered the same man you dealt with and he IS quite abrupt. I was on Escape September 2nd on the "extended" cruise due to hurricane Irma. I had a final payment coming up for my next cruise prior to our return to Miami. Went down to CruiseNext to see if I could make my payment there or somewhere else since I was having trouble getting online. The same man was at the desk and when I asked if I could make the payment. He said "no" and walked away.

Too bad you didn't connect with the manager, Kim. She's great and very helpful. I eventually got to speak personally with her and I found out something new: you now have two options in purchasing CN certificates. You may either choose on board credit OR buy one, get one free.

Tracy

Sorry this was your experience with CruiseNext. I've encountered the same man you dealt with and he IS quite abrupt. I was on Escape September 2nd on the "extended" cruise due to hurricane Irma. I had a final payment coming up for my next cruise prior to our return to Miami. Went down to CruiseNext to see if I could make my payment there or somewhere else since I was having trouble getting online. The same man was at the desk and when I asked if I could make the payment. He said "no" and walked away.

Too bad you didn't connect with the manager, Kim. She's great and very helpful. I eventually got to speak personally with her and I found out something new: you now have two options in purchasing CN certificates. You may either choose on board credit OR buy one, get one free.

Tracy

Yes there is that option and then another cc'er said that Kim told them about an option if you choose your potential sailing while in board to apply your cert. to then they upgrade your statement to the next category. I particularly wanted to know how that would work as a solo because there really isn't any upgrade without paying the single supplement.

It was the first and only frustrating experience I've had with crew so far. I'll head back and specifically ask for Kim later.

So excited to read your review. I'm doing my first NCL cruise in January - solo in a studio. Thank you for taking the time to post! Would love to see pics of your room and curious how the solo gatherings have been?

I was in the solo studios last march and LOVED the solo gatherings.

The solo lounge (lounge attached to all the solo cabins reserved for solo travelers) opens it's doors to ALL solo travelers on the ship at 17h00 every afternoon. The NCL solo host/hostess will run a meeting so solo travelers can introduce each others, and will also plan and reserve dinners, premium seating at the shows and activities for the solos as a group. (To clarify, this is NOT a "singles meetup", it is a solo travelers meetup and social coordination).

I travel alone as I like my "space", but I found the solo gatherings really nice to join familiar faces for dinners, theatre shows and late night events (comedy club, dance parties...).

Pat