What do most people really wear to dinner?

ggo85

Heading on our first Celebrity cruise (veteran cruisers with RCCL, NCL, Princess, Cunard, Crystal). Headed to the Med next month. Have read the website but want practical advice. On most nights (not evening chic), what should we expect to see in the dining rooms and specialty restaurants?

I'm thinking collared shirt and chino-type slacks for my DH and for slacks and a sweater/blouse or a casual dress for me. Is that the norm? Are nice jeans (no tears, etc.) okay? We wouldn't think of wearing shorts. :)

Trying to decide what to pack . . .

Heading on our first Celebrity cruise (veteran cruisers with RCCL, NCL, Princess, Cunard, Crystal). Headed to the Med next month. Have read the website but want practical advice. On most nights (not evening chic), what should we expect to see in the dining rooms and specialty restaurants?

I'm thinking collared shirt and chino-type slacks for my DH and for slacks and a sweater/blouse or a casual dress for me. Is that the norm? Are nice jeans (no tears, etc.) okay? We wouldn't think of wearing shorts. :)

Chinos and shirt and slacks top (or a dress) sounds fine

For guys a NICE polo type shirt and dress denims (dark blue or black, or even white!) work just fine too! Same with a short sleeve button shirt (think Tommy Bahamas).

Given jacket and tie are no longer REQUIRED I now save a regular button long sleeve collared shirt for evening chic nights. If I want to dress it up a bit I might pair a vest or a sweater (thin cotton) with the shirt.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

What you have planned is exactly what we typically see. Some will be dressed up a bit more, others a bit less. Enjoy!

Pretty much what we will pack for our upcoming Pacific Coastal cruise

For a Carib itin, there would be a few island style..Tommy Bahama shirts tropical style shirts/dress

No longer have a White Night party..

Wear what you would wear going out to eat on land (at a decent restaurant). That's what most people wear. I don't see any difference than if I was heading out eat here in town.

Unfortunately, we do not know where the OP is from & where he is from can make a big difference.. Here in Fla the norm for those going out to dinner even in a decent restaurant could be shorts for men, especially in the tourist areas..

We'll be on our first Celebrity cruise in Dec, but have cruised extensively on HAL & Oceania which has the same dress code..This is our dress of choice..

On any cruise my DH would always wear long pants, a collared shirt & often a jacket or button down sweater, even on casual nights because we find that Dining Rooms are usually cold on the cruises we've been on..

I also would not wear shorts, but have seen ladies in dress short outfits in cruise DR's..I will be wearing slacks, or a casual dress, or a long casual skirt & top for dinner..Will be taking cropped pants & shorts but will reserve those for daytime wear..:cool:

We usually go with country club casual. Khakis and collared shirt for DH and sun dress/skirt and top for me. We actually like changing for dinner. I know that isn't necessarily the norm any more, but that is what we like. What other people wear doesn't affect our cruise at all. And sometimes, it makes for great people watching. ;p

Thanks for all the replies. We might dress up on one of the chic nights, but good to know that nice casual attire will work for most nights. Makes packing a lot easier -- fewer shoes for me!

[On a side note, part of me misses the true formal nights of the 1980s. OTOH, it's also nice to have the option NOT to dress up and not feel out of place.]

Pretty much what you stated is what we wear on "Smart Casual" nights. Jeans are acceptable, though we don't wear them. You'll see plenty of high style on Chic nights as well.

Unfortunately, we do not know where the OP is from & where he is from can make a big difference.. Here in Fla the norm for those going out to dinner even in a decent restaurant could be shorts for men, especially in the tourist areas..

We'll be on our first Celebrity cruise in Dec, but have cruised extensively on HAL & Oceania which has the same dress code..This is our dress of choice..

On any cruise my DH would always wear long pants, a collared shirt & often a jacket or button down sweater, even on casual nights because we find that Dining Rooms are usually cold on the cruises we've been on..

I also would not wear shorts, but have seen ladies in dress short outfits in cruise DR's..I will be wearing slacks, or a casual dress, or a long casual skirt & top for dinner..Will be taking cropped pants & shorts but will reserve those for daytime wear..:cool:

Not sure of what rest. you eat at in Fl. but at "GG'S", we saw NO shorts. Same at the rest. in some of the big hotels in SB. Everyone wore pretty much at least slacks & collared shirts. Plenty of suits as well. During the day resort wear WAS the norm, but in the high-end rest. people seemed to show a bit more class.

Casual slacks, collared shirts (I only wear collared shirts). We have been travelling with carry on only for the last five years.

No room for anything else, and no desire to carry any other type of clothing with us. I do not pack any sort of jacket. But, the cruise is usually part of a much longer land trip for us.

Prior to the change in MDR attire we simply skipped dinner in the MDR on formal nights. It became much ado about nothing for us and we were not about to pack clothes that we only wore for a few hours on each two or three days.

We live in San Diego and other than 2 restaurants that I can think of off hand, it is pretty much casual dining everywhere. We were on Oceania last year and enjoyed their country club attire - so I think that the new Celebrity attire recommendations are pretty similar based on the above posts. Evening Chic - maybe a bit nicer of a casual dress? How about for men - any ties? or are those gone now?

I wish people would abide by the rules and dress respectively. Yes, it DOES bother me when people have on shorts and tee shirts in the dining room. When I hear the excuse of flying, I call BS. I fly to all of my cruise ports. My "appropriate dinner clothes" do not weigh anymore than my Applebees, shorts and tee shirts. The wait-staff is dressed better than most patrons. Sad.

I wish people would abide by the rules and dress respectively. Yes, it DOES bother me when people have on shorts and tee shirts in the dining room. When I hear the excuse of flying, I call BS. I fly to all of my cruise ports. My "appropriate dinner clothes" do not weigh anymore than my Applebees, shorts and tee shirts. The wait-staff is dressed better than most patrons. Sad.

Well, other than shorts, T's, and tank tops, there really aren't that many rules anymore. Some people like to fly light so they don't have to pay for a checked in bag - blame the airlines for that one.

Casual slacks, collared shirts (I only wear collared shirts). We have been travelling with carry on only for the last five years.

No room for anything else, and no desire to carry any other type of clothing with us. I do not pack any sort of jacket. But, the cruise is usually part of a much longer land trip for us.

Prior to the change in MDR attire we simply skipped dinner in the MDR on formal nights. It became much ado about nothing for us and we were not about to pack clothes that we only wore for a few hours on each two or three days.

Excellent post and your feelings mirror our opinion as well. Those who wish to dress up for whatever reason are certainly able to do so. I really don’t care what people wear to dinner. It’s their choice and it does not affect either the taste of my food or my enjoyment of it. Likewise, what I wear shouldn’t affect theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just off the Infinity (17-24 September). First evening I wore shorts. The rest of the evenings I wore dockers with polo/golf style shirts. Didn't concern myself with what others wore.

We were on the Eclipse in August and the Infinity in South American and Antartica in February. I normally wear Dockers and a collared shirt to dinner except chic nights where I will wear dress pants and a dress shirt some times with a tie and jacket and some times without. I do it because my wife likes it. I have no problem with what others wear. We eat mainly in the specialty restaurants. You see the full gamete of clothing styles on any given evening. Do what us comfortable for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pant/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the Celebrity Theatre for all evening performances.

Evening Chic

Ladies: Cocktail dress, skits, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Gentlemen: Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater. Optional - sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

Speciality Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code at Celebrity's Speciality Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Evening Chic attire is only required in the main dining room on your "Evening Chic" evenings.

So what I am reading, men can wear nice jeans on evening chic but not smart casual nights? how does that work?

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pant/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the Celebrity Theatre for all evening performances.

Evening Chic

Ladies: Cocktail dress, skits, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Gentlemen: Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater. Optional - sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

Speciality Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code at Celebrity's Speciality Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Evening Chic attire is only required in the main dining room on your "Evening Chic" evenings.

So what I am reading, men can wear nice jeans on evening chic but not smart casual nights? how does that work?

Jeans are pants. Once upon a time there were explicitly forbidden but that hasn't been the case for years. They've been added to the chic code to ensure people realise they are acceptable on those nights too.

According to the full Celebrity description

Onboard Dress Code

it is fine to wear jeans on any evening.

However, you are apparently expected to wear "designer jeans" on evening chic nights, but plain ordinary "jeans" on smart casual nights. :eek:

(I have highlighted them in red below.)

Q. What is the onboard dress code?

A. Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress
  • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • Optional sport coat or blazer

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

I think that you will still be allowed in wearing designer jeans on the smart casual nights, as long as you cover up the designer label. ;p

As to what "most" people wear, we have seen it vary not only from cruise to cruise but even from hour to hour on the same ship, as people come and go throughout the evening.

I would say that if you want to stand out and be conspicuous, dress at either the high or low end of the spectrum, but if you want to blend in, then dress somewhere in the middle.

Edited by varoo

Without turning this into a crazy dress code thread, I've seen people from all ends of the spectrum in the MDR. My friends and I like to dress up for dinner, we usually wear slacks and a button down to dinner on smart casual nights, and toss on a jacket and tie on evening chic. Most of all, enjoy yourself doand have fun!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk