Nov. 12th Dawn out of SJ

goehoe

Has anyone gotten an update of changes to the date of Nov.12th sailing, NCL Dawn out of SJ? I have to believe the ship will be rerouted to another sailing port for boarding since SJ is devastated with probably no hotels rooms available by then. Sister worked for FEMA and is saying relief workers will end up with any hotel rooms to help the area come back to living status. Understandable, but we have day before booking in Sheraton Old SJ hotel, don't know if it will be operable and need to change day of airfare to go straight to ship if we have no lodging day before sailing. What a mess for all, especially the people on the islands........

We're on the same cruise and wondering what the chances are of sailing out of San Juan. Even if it is possible to get to the island, we also wonder about the status of hotel rooms. That said, I am taking the stance that I have absolutely no control and will roll with whatever.

Praying for those who have been affected by this horrible disaster.

I think what ports are functioning in Puerto Rico will be beyond busy and working around the clock just to provide the basics like food and water for more than 3.5 million people. Even though they derive a big portion of their economy from tourism I think cruise ships are not anywhere near the top on their list of priorities.

Just an OPINION and I hope I am wrong.

bosco

I think what ports are functioning in Puerto Rico will be beyond busy and working around the clock just to provide the basics like food and water for more than 3.5 million people. Even though they derive a big portion of their economy from tourism I think cruise ships are not anywhere near the top on their list of priorities.

Just an OPINION and I hope I am wrong.

bosco

If they don't get the ATC issues worked out with the airport, tourist won't be coming down anyway.

And your right, Puerto Rico has a lot more pressing issues at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sailing out of San Juan in early December. There is a USA Today article that says officials in the area say the port will be fully operational long before either of our cruises, and the airport as well. There is a festival coming up critical to their tourist industry and they expect to have the resources to prepare for that. As for hotels, I don't know. I have 2 Hilton brand bookings flanking my cruise. I can only speculate that the major international brands, with greater resources and wealth, like Sheraton and Hilton will be the first ones to open. The "mom and pop" places are likely to have a lot more trouble recovering. So I am not cancelling my reservation or changing my flight and hoping for the best.

The well being of the residents should be the primary objective. I understand that, of course. So many different answers on news and on line........"my cruise" can be rebooked......only wondering if anyone had concrete notice from NCL yet, in order to cancel air and hotel. I could send reimbursements to help in recovery if taken care of in time. I do have insurance but rules are only if NCL cancels and not reroute us. Thanks in advance to anyone who'd have info to help with any info as the days go by.

I am staying at the Hyatt and I spoke to the Hyatt reservation center and their hotels are opening on 10/15/17 to accept guests. I think the airport and piers should be open within the next few weeks so stay hopeful that your cruise will remain as is.

Has anyone gotten an update of changes to the date of Nov.12th sailing, NCL Dawn out of SJ? I have to believe the ship will be rerouted to another sailing port for boarding since SJ is devastated with probably no hotels rooms available by then. Sister worked for FEMA and is saying relief workers will end up with any hotel rooms to help the area come back to living status. Understandable, but we have day before booking in Sheraton Old SJ hotel, don't know if it will be operable and need to change day of airfare

to go straight to ship if we have no lodging day before sailing. What a mess for all, especially the people on the islands........

Puzzled why you are asking such an important question here on an open forum instead of going direct with NCL to get the definitive answer. Any answer you receive here will be speculative at best.

Edited by razor7_us
Typo

We are on this cruise as well.

The plan was to come in on Saturday and stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Condado. We have not heard anything from the hotel.

Today I looked into flying into San Juan on Sunday. There is a flight that would work for us (and only about $25/more a person right now), but we aren't going to do anything at this moment.

I think a lot of us on these early cruises out of San Juan feel the same way. We don't want to show up and be a burden, but we are willing to come and spend our money. At the same time, I am a bit concerned about safety. I haven't heard a lot of what is going on in Puerto Rico (I was on vacation last week), but in general, I know I won't be as casual about leaving the hotel to walk around.

I'm hoping we hear something in the next two weeks or so.

From VOX a few hours ago.. 09/25/17 SAN JUAN

The island is running short on food, fuel, and access to clean water and there’s limited communications, which means some communities have received no information about the rescue efforts underway.

Among the greatest threats is the continuing lack of power throughout much of the island, after nearly the entire power grid was knocked offline during the storm (about 80 percent of the transmission infrastructure was destroyed). The New York Times reports it could be four to six months before power is restored on the island. That’s half a year with Puerto Rico’s 3.4 million residents relying on generators, half a year without air conditioning in the tropical climate, half a year where electric pumps can’t bring running water into homes, half a year where even the most basic tasks of modern life are made difficult.

More and more information each day.

bosco

Razor 7....I have called NCL three times getting the same song and dance. I Posted the ? bc RCCL IS Sailing this Wednesday, turmoil or not. Since cruise lines loose big revenue i expect a SJ sailing, turmoil or not , the way Carnival and RCCL is continuing out of SJ. Common sense should be used and hopefully the lines will reschedule from another port but hopefully not at the last minute so 5000 don't have to go scrambling to rebook air, cancel hotels. I DO realize that is minor to what the people are suffering in the islands. NCL has ONE ship out of SJ now..you'd think by now the passengers would be contacted since they have our paid fare in their bank. Nope and NCL operators not know more that we do......

NCL has a tough job, lots of assessments and decisions:

1. Will San Juan airport and port be ready for ship and passengers.

2. Is local infrastructure in place for safe keeping of guests, pre and post cruise.

3. If not do we cancel or embark from another port?

4. What changes will we make to the itinerary?

5. When do we confirm and communicate the changes.

Keep in mind communications with Puerto Rico isn't an easy task.

I am on the November 19th sailing and have many of the same concerns and questions as others have listed. NCL sent an email that suggested more details by the weekend as it gave a two week window. Hopefully they'll keep to that timing.

I am on Ncl out of Boston Nov 3 watched the Good Morning America and the Airport does not look to good I like many others are to Arrive in San Juan Nov 12 and still await news on our destination as several ports on this reposition cruise have been devastated. (don't care where I go ) just would like to know about airport to try to re book if I can ** we are about 29 days out and getting harder to re book flights if the divert to say Florida .

I see jet blue posted we

Puerto Rico

Customers traveling Tuesday, September 19, 2017 through Wednesday, November 15, 2017 to/from the following city:

• Aguadilla, PR (BQN)
  • Ponce, PR (PSE)
  • San Juan, PR (SJU)

Customers can rebook online in the Manage your flight section of jetblue.com or Contact Us prior to the departure time of their originally scheduled flight. New flights must be rebooked by Wednesday, November 1, 2017, and travel must be completed by Wednesday, November 15, 2017. Original travel must have been booked on or before Monday, September 17, 2017.

NCL has a tough job, lots of assessments and decisions:

1. Will San Juan airport and port be ready for ship and passengers.

2. Is local infrastructure in place for safe keeping of guests, pre and post cruise.

3. If not do we cancel or embark from another port?

4. What changes will we make to the itinerary?

5. When do we confirm and communicate the changes.

Keep in mind communications with Puerto Rico isn't an easy task.

I am on the November 19th sailing and have many of the same concerns and questions as others have listed. NCL sent an email that suggested more details by the weekend as it gave a two week window. Hopefully they'll keep to that timing.

I hope and pray things go as well as some of the cruise lines and air lines are expecting them to go HOWEVER:

The following has been garnered from all the various news reports and reports in some of the print media for TODAY September 25, 2017

..There is no power, no refrigeration, no air conditioning, no water. Almost every power line is gone, almost every local electrical supply pole is broken. The long distance high voltage transmission towers and lines are down.

The airport is running on generators and using radar supplied by the Military, the roads are slowly being cleared of trees, damaged vehicles, wrecked houses even boats litter almost every road. Roads in the hilly areas are washed away. .

Over 80% of their entire agricultural food production is destroyed. They are running out of food. If and when the power is returned the refrigeration systems and the restaurants and bars they are in were almost totally destroyed. A large percentage of their cars, vans, cabs, trucks and other equipment has been ruined.

There is currently an Air-Bridge delivering around the clock plane loads of food, water and needed equipment from an air field (could be in Georgia) in the U.S.

Hospitals are operating with emergency generators and fuel is in short supply. People are waiting for hours to get a few gallons of gas to run small generators. People are waiting in their cars for hours in lines to get to where their cells will connect with one of the only working cell towers.

The ports will be too busy trying to get enough food water and other supplies needed just for the people to keep from starving and getting a roof over their heads and some power. There are about 3.5 MILLION people that are in dire straits and having tourists is probably very low on their list of priorities.

Imagine the job of just feeding 3.5 million people. The foods they get must for the most part be ready to eat, do not need to be reconstituted and due to the lack of refrigeration non-perishable.

This is a humanitarian disaster and unlike Texas and Florida there are no roads to bring in millions of board feet of lumber, nails, plywood, hundreds of utility trucks, poles, high tension towers, lines, cable, transformers and the hundreds of skilled linesmen they will need to complete even just the basic power frame work and then start rewiring the homes and businesses as they are ready to be put on line...

Everything the people of Puerto Rico need to survive, to eventually get their lives back together along with everything the entire island needs to rebuild itself on what is now almost a bare slate must come in on ships and I am afraid the ports are not now and will not be for a long time preparing to recieve tourists.

TODAY; I just saw an announcement that the hotels will be occuoied with emergency workers and no one else for possibly the next three months.

bosco

I hope and pray things go as well as some of the cruise lines and air lines are expecting them to go HOWEVER:

The following has been garnered from all the various news reports and reports in some of the print media for TODAY September 25, 2017

..There is no power, no refrigeration, no air conditioning, no water. Almost every power line is gone, almost every local electrical supply pole is broken. The long distance high voltage transmission towers and lines are down.

The airport is running on generators and using radar supplied by the Military, the roads are slowly being cleared of trees, damaged vehicles, wrecked houses even boats litter almost every road. Roads in the hilly areas are washed away. .

Over 80% of their entire agricultural food production is destroyed. They are running out of food. If and when the power is returned the refrigeration systems and the restaurants and bars they are in were almost totally destroyed. A large percentage of their cars, vans, cabs, trucks and other equipment has been ruined.

There is currently an Air-Bridge delivering around the clock plane loads of food, water and needed equipment from an air field (could be in Georgia) in the U.S.

Hospitals are operating with emergency generators and fuel is in short supply. People are waiting for hours to get a few gallons of gas to run small generators. People are waiting in their cars for hours in lines to get to where their cells will connect with one of the only working cell towers.

The ports will be too busy trying to get enough food water and other supplies needed just for the people to keep from starving and getting a roof over their heads and some power. There are about 3.5 MILLION people that are in dire straits and having tourists is probably very low on their list of priorities.

Imagine the job of just feeding 3.5 million people. The foods they get must for the most part be ready to eat, do not need to be reconstituted and due to the lack of refrigeration non-perishable.

This is a humanitarian disaster and unlike Texas and Florida there are no roads to bring in millions of board feet of lumber, nails, plywood, hundreds of utility trucks, poles, high tension towers, lines, cable, transformers and the hundreds of skilled linesmen they will need to complete even just the basic power frame work and then start rewiring the homes and businesses as they are ready to be put on line...

Everything the people of Puerto Rico need to survive, to eventually get their lives back together along with everything the entire island needs to rebuild itself on what is now almost a bare slate must come in on ships and I am afraid the ports are not now and will not be for a long time preparing to recieve tourists.

TODAY; I just saw an announcement that the hotels will be occuoied with emergency workers and no one else for possibly the next three months.

bosco

On a good note, I got to chat with my Bestie she now has running water. It's slowly coming on line.

She lives in Carolina a couple miles from the airport.

It took 8 hours to get cash out of the ATM. But the good news is that her and her family are safe.

Also a report there are 20,000 people on standby waiting for flights out.

If you want to do something contact your local congress men, to waive the Jones Act, so emergency supplies can be brought directly to the island without first to US soil then unloaded and re shipped from there.

Puzzled why you are asking such an important question here on an open forum instead of going direct with NCL to get the definitive answer. Any answer you receive here will be speculative at best.

NCL does not answer any questions that can't make a decision they read you the same b.s. that is on their website they have your money and they don't care if Puerto Rico is destroyed they won't tell anyone till a week before the cruise what they are doing so that way it is to late for anyone to cancel

NCL does not answer any questions that can't make a decision they read you the same b.s. that is on their website they have your money and they don't care if Puerto Rico is destroyed they won't tell anyone till a week before the cruise what they are doing so that way it is to late for anyone to cancel

Well royal Caribbean won't cancel til 48 hrs out.

With the lack of communications, no one has been able to fathom the destruction.

Razor 7....I have called NCL three times getting the same song and dance. I Posted the ? bc RCCL IS Sailing this Wednesday, turmoil or not. Since cruise lines loose big revenue i expect a SJ sailing, turmoil or not , the way Carnival and RCCL is continuing out of SJ. Common sense should be used and hopefully the lines will reschedule from another port but hopefully not at the last minute so 5000 don't have to go scrambling to rebook air, cancel hotels. I DO realize that is minor to what the people are suffering in the islands. NCL has ONE ship out of SJ now..you'd think by now the passengers would be contacted since they have our paid fare in their bank. Nope and NCL operators not know more that we do......

I'm in the same boat everyone you call has no clue they have your money and they don't care bad business will never sail on them again

RCCL IS NOT sailing. They tried to make a 7 day cruise into 3 days. No refunds only FCC. They finally cancelled their 3 day modification 2 days ago.

But I understand your frustration.

I just spoke to NCL's public relations. What a joke. They are still assessing the damage in Puerto Rico. They don't even have water to drink. Like they will be ready to entertain tourists in 38 days???

Yup same response they hate going to screw everyone wait and see