Ordering food from MDR in speciality restaurant

Nina132

Celebrity charges quite a bit for their specialty restaurants, so why would you pay $35-$50 extra to eat the food from the MDR? The food in the MDR and the buffet are so good we felt no need to pay extra for specialty dining. However, my husband did chat up the executive chef (he's also a chef), and we were able to dine at Qsine as his guest. It was good, food presentation was interesting and service was wonderful, but I wouldn't pay $45 pp to eat there.

We would like to try some onboard restaurants but looking on menus on X website I don't see anything that my daughter would eat. Is it possible for her go with us to specialty restaurant but order from MDR menu?

Thank you!

You will have to pay the surcharge for her (unless you are in a suite that has it is complementary) but usually the specialty restaurants will make some food a little more plain for kids. You just have to ask. We have done this for my youngest son who is a picky eater. Worst case scenario, she goes to dinner and doesn't care for any of the food. Afterwards, you can take her to the buffet or order room service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Scanning the OP's previous posts, she is traveling with a 14 y/o daughter who is type 1 diabetic on a pump. EM

If that is the case, recommend that they contact special needs, if they have not already done so, and let them know. Once on board they can coordinate meals with the MDR maître d and discuss options regarding the specialty restaurants. This is a bit more complicated than having a picky eater sailing with you and the specialty restaurants should be able to provide an appropriate meal for the daughter.

Thank you everyone!

I called special need line and has been told to ask onboard and they have no info for me over the phone. It is concerns me a lot. I was looking at French and Asian restaurants, my daughter prefer Italian or Irish. I was hopping that she can eat with us and have something that she eat. I'm wasn't thinking of not paying for her. We probably skip on specialty restaurant idea, I really hate to go to another Italian and MDR sims to have diverse chooses. I wish that X was more responsive on a phone :(.

Thanks for help!

My elderly mother in law who often sailed with us is diabetic. Each night in mdr our waiter would sit down with her and go over next night's menu. He would explain each dish and suggest how it could be prepared differently to meet her needs. Staff aboard ship always go out of their way to make guests happy. Unfortunately can't say the same about those back in Miami.

As others have said once you notify special needs department of your dietary requirements nothing else to do until you board.

Once you board go directly to the main dining room where the maitre d will be setup. Go over your requirements with them. Then the assistant maitre d responsible for your area and your waiter will handle everything. If you decide to do specialty make sure to meet with the chef early in the day so they can be prepared

Just to clarify: this is not about food restrictions, she just don't like anything on sample menus. On other hand me and husband would like to eat there. On MDR menu is salmon and it is her favorite.

As diabetes concerned we just need to know carb amount in her dish. And make sure she is not hungry.

On a princess line website I seen that you can order from any menu in speciality restaurant and hoped to be able do same here. It is not a deal breaker for me, but it would be great if we could. I guess I'll ask onboard :).

Thanks everyone.

Another thought : how different real onboard menus from website samples?

The menus for the specialty restaurants don't change much at all night-to-night (really not at all unless there's some sort of special). Go to the website below and compare the menus to the Celebrity website and you'll see what I mean.

There is much more variety in the main dining room and the buffet on a day-to-day basis. You could also inquire once onboard to see if there is anything any individual restaurant might be able to prepare that your daughter would like or if they'll make substitutions that would get her something she'd eat, but as already stated, it's unlikely to be anything from the MDR menu.

http://www.thepreismans.com/

I have found the speciality restaurants to be very accommodating. In Tuscan (before they did pizza) they fetched my grand daughter pizza from the buffet, it wasn't something I asked for just something they were delighted to do, I've had similar things in bistro (prior to sushi) as well. I think if you ask in advance they will make it work for you.

Just to clarify: this is not about food restrictions, she just don't like anything on sample menus. On other hand me and husband would like to eat there. On MDR menu is salmon and it is her favorite.

As diabetes concerned we just need to know carb amount in her dish. And make sure she is not hungry.

On a princess line website I seen that you can order from any menu in speciality restaurant and hoped to be able do same here. It is not a deal breaker for me, but it would be great if we could. I guess I'll ask onboard :).

Thanks everyone.

Right regarding food restrictions for Type 1 diabetes. The other popular misconception is that those who have Type 1 must be quite overweight- not! 2 of my DGS have Type 1 and they just need to know the carb counts to be able to adjust the correct dosage of insulin. However, the 2 of them are pretty adventurous eaters- last Christmas in Paris the older one ordered a dish that probably is comparable to sweetbreads or chitlins- the waiter was astounded and clarified what he was ordering, but he went ahead and loved it. My DD has an app on her I phone that gives carb counts for most dishes. I think if you ask once aboard, you might be given a special menu listing carb counts which would be a big help in regulating insulin & other medications.

We have done a couple of the wine pairing special Chef's dinners and in talking to the heads of the specialty restaurants on those evenings it seems like they want nothing more than to accommodate guests and give them a special meal.

I would go to the restaurant you want to go to and talk to them about your concerns. Go early in the day, and ask for the chef or the maitre d' or both. I would talk to the chef. I would be very surprised if they weren't able to come up with something for your daughter. They don't have to prepare for as many people as the main dining room. I get special things made for me in Blu and Luminae and I would imagine it would be even easier in a specialty like Murano.

I hope it works for you and your daughter. You just have to be nice but a little proactive. Don't judge the experience based on a call to special needs dept. I always do arrangements as soon as I get on board. Much better in person.

I am a type 2 diabetic, I also have coranery artery disease, DW has some pretty serious food allergies and the people in the MDR and the specialty restaurants cannot do enough to make sure that we can enjoy our meals. For me it is just a matter of making wise choices, for DW they do bring her a menu each night for the next day to make sure there are things she can eat and still enjoy them. When we do go to one of the specialty restaurants our maitre 'd keeps them informed about her needs. So, talk to them ahead of time, on the ship because that is where it all happens. They want you to be happy, they want you to be safe, they want you to come back again and again. Even the Tuscan Grille has lots of offerings that are not typical Italian so that might be a good solution for you.

I watch my carb intake just because it is healthier for me to do so. I ordered in the Tuscan Grill and they replaced the pasta with broccoli in the entree I ordered without any issue. Of the couple eating with us, one is also diabetic and she had no problem ordering something to her liking with no trouble whatsoever. I have also asked for something in Silk Harvest with a little custom twist ... never an issue.

I would simply ask the maitre'd prior to booking. If they can deliver an MDR meal to your cabin I'm sure they can handle getting one to a specialty restaurant. I'm sure they would be able accommodate you especially if you let them know ahead of time. Over the years I've had some friends ask for some crazy stuff and they have nearly always been able to get it.

BTW the wife is a type 1 (for 40 years now) with an insulin pump . She just got the new one with the blood sugar monitor. Not the most reliable thing just yet, seems they need to work out a few bugs.

The on board service, particularly in the maitre 'd's control is passenger friendly. You can dine in the specialty restaurants without concern once you spend a few minutes making your dietary needs known. You mentioned salmon and it is available each evening.

I think the OP said she isn't concerned about the diabetes...mainly that her daughter is more picky.

First, I'd schedule a very early dining res. in one of the specialties online. Then go see the maître d of that restaurant before the date and ask. Being it one of the first seatings, they might be able to accomodate something for you. Certainly not during the common busy hours. If not, cancel the reservation. Nothing lost.

Two, ( and this is what I would do.....) since your daughter is 14, how about letting her have dinner in the buffet or room service for the night and you and your husband have a dinner alone later in the specialty you want? You can sit with her to keep her company and figure out a movie to watch or place to go for the couple hours you are away on your "date". I see lots of teens in the shows while their parents are out and about.

(BTW, she might meet others her age that she'll want to spend time with. lots of teens do.)

We would like to try some onboard restaurants but looking on menus on X website I don't see anything that my daughter would eat. Is it possible for her go with us to specialty restaurant but order from MDR menu?

Thank you!

While some others say you probably can't, my experience is that crew will do anything to please you. For instance, we bought a bottle of wine on Holland America in the Crow's Nest. That's all the way forward, one of the heighest decks. The waiter asked us if we wanted him to bring the -unfinished- bottle to the MDR, which is all the way aft, deck 3.

Of course the easiest way is to book at the specialty restaurant itself (instead of calling) and ask the manager.