Transportation from Yokohama to Tokyo

ronbarb

We will be ending our cruise in Yokohama and have a hotel booked in Tokyo. Because of our large suitcases, we're not sure if a train into Tokyo would be realistic. Is it possible to take a taxi? We're willing to pay to have a stress-free ride. Especially since the package of transport and hotel offered by the cruise line are excessive, and we have a great hotel rate on our own.Thanks for any assistance.

Taxi fare from the Terminal in Yokohama to central Tokyo is around 12,000 Yen. That's about $125 by today's exchange rate.

Japan has a very efficient and inexpensive luggage delivery service from all airports and sea ports - including Yokohama Terminal as well. They will transport and deliver your bags to a Tokyo Hotel for about $10 per bag - usually same day.

Subway from the Yokohama Terminal to downtown Tokyo costs 260 Yen per person (about $2.75), and takes 20 to 25 minutes.

We will be ending our cruise in Yokohama and have a hotel booked in Tokyo. Because of our large suitcases, we're not sure if a train into Tokyo would be realistic. Is it possible to take a taxi? We're willing to pay to have a stress-free ride. Especially since the package of transport and hotel offered by the cruise line are excessive, and we have a great hotel rate on our own.Thanks for any assistance.

We just came back and had a memorable day in Yokohama.

We took the train from Yokohama to Tokyo. From the ship, a free shuttle took us directly to the train station. We were right in the middle of the early morning rush hour...and were literally pushed into the train. Having suitcases is doable but it would have to be AFTER the rush and it may still be cumbersome. Note: Although we practically hugged each other and had no room to move...no one got angry, no one complained, everyone remained orderly. The Japanese were the most polite, courteous, and helpful people we have ever met. The return train from Tokyo back to Yokohama was not as crowded.

Taxis are very expensive in Japan. Drivers speak very little English and require cash. There are two types of taxis, the "luxury" or normal taxis...no need to take the luxury taxi unless you prefer a Mercedez.

Now that we have experienced the train system in Japan...we'd gladly do it again. There was always someone there to help when we were lost or didn't know what to do.

Just a thought...since you are ending your cruise in Yokohama and perhaps not in a hurry, you can disembark late, take the free shuttle to the train station, and avoid the rush hour. The train may be crowded but it is modern, clean, fast, great people, and best of all...........you'll have one memorable trip. Happy sailing. :)

• Like 1

Taxi fare from the Terminal in Yokohama to central Tokyo is around 12,000 Yen. That's about $125 by today's exchange rate.

Japan has a very efficient and inexpensive luggage delivery service from all airports and sea ports - including Yokohama Terminal as well. They will transport and deliver your bags to a Tokyo Hotel for about $10 per bag - usually same day.

Subway from the Yokohama Terminal to downtown Tokyo costs 260 Yen per person (about $2.75), and takes 20 to 25 minutes.

...BruceMuzz, just wanted to say "thank you" for giving us the courage to do it DIY and giving us great info regarding the subway, train, and sites in Japan. You were one of a few people on Cruise Critic that helped us.

• 3 months later...
I have a question regarding luggage delivery. Is that something that you do at the port/airport or should it be arranged/booked in advance?

Thanks for the help!

MC

When my ship calls at Yokohama, the agent brings on the pre-printed forms for the luggage service. The front desk staff takes care of the rest.

You should ask the front desk staff about this.

I have a question regarding luggage delivery. Is that something that you do at the port/airport or should it be arranged/booked in advance?

Thanks for the help!

MC

This service is called Takuhaibin. I've not used it at a port, but at airports you just turn up and hand your stuff over. It's useful to have the address of your hotel written in Japanese (most hotel sites can print this out). There are two main companies: Yamato (black cat logo) and Nittsu (pelican logo): http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

Japan-Guide.com is the go to place for information about Japan. Here's the page on the Yokohama port: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3208.html

And this is the place for train info: http://www.hyperdia.com/

Edited by someotherguy
Added the hyperdia link

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

We will travel from Tokyo to Yokohama to get on the Diamond Princess next April ! We plan to take the train late morning at 10.30am after the rush hour and we have the choice since there are trains leaving every 3-15 minutes and the ride takes about 20 minutes .

There is a shuttle bus between the Yokohama Station and the passenger (cruise ) terminal every 30 minutes or so .

• 2 weeks later...
How about the other way around? We will be staying in Tokyo (near the station), and need to get to our ship. We'd rather not spend tons of money on a cab... Options?

From Tokyo Station, you can take Narita Express to Yokohama Station. This is a fast comfortable train that has luggage storage at the end of each train car. All seats are reserved. Your hotel can help you book tickets.

From Yokohama Station, a taxi can take you to the Osanbashi Cruise Terminal in about 10 minutes.

Or you can take JR or a subway from Tokyo Station to Shibuya Station.

From Shibuya Station, the Minato-Mirai subway line will take you to Nihon Odori Station in Yokohama in 20 minutes for 260 Yen.

The Nihon Odori station is 2 streets away from the Osanbashi Cruise Terminal. You can walk it in about 10 minutes.

Anyone have a recommendation for a private company/web site for a transfer from the Yokohama cruise port to NRT. Would try to arrange a transfer for up tp 8 people to reduce cost.

We are using Asahi Kotsu (just google him). I found him excellent to work with. He is charging 4 of us $160 for pickup in Yokahama and transfer to our Tokyo hotel. He was recommended on another roll call.

We are using Asahi Kotsu (just google him). I found him excellent to work with. He is charging 4 of us $160 for pickup in Yokahama and transfer to our Tokyo hotel. He was recommended on another roll call.

Thanks, I think someone else on our cruise is going to us him. I'll emai him and see if we can come up with a transfer.

We will be going on the diamond princess from tokyo to hong kong this October 2014 and pre trip will be staying in the shangri la hotel. My husband wants to go to hiroshima by train. I think it is 4 hours each way on a bullet trian. Should I buy the tickets ahead of time and should I have my hotel take care of this?

Thanks for the great responses to this thread so far. I am brave, but nervous about doing this. From your posts I believe I have learned I can travel by train from the airport to my hotel. I arrive around 1 in the afternoon on Sunday 10/12. Should I plan on being able to take luggage with me or do I have to have it sent? Again, is this something I need to have my hotel arrange?

This is only from what I have been told on the various Japan travel forums - that you can use the forwarding services for luggage but it usually takes a day for the luggage to arrive. I was told if we avoid "rush hour" (7:30 -9:30AM and 5 - 8PM) we should be able to manage with luggage. There is space behind the last seats of the car, just try to board the train first at the rear entrance of the train if you aren't reserving one of these seats.

I think when we disembark the ship we will forward on all of the luggage we can part with to our last hotel, and then have less to deal with from city to city on the train.

• 1 month later...
We will travel from Tokyo to Yokohama to get on the Diamond Princess next April ! We plan to take the train late morning at 10.30am after the rush hour and we have the choice since there are trains leaving every 3-15 minutes and the ride takes about 20 minutes .

There is a shuttle bus between the Yokohama Station and the passenger (cruise ) terminal every 30 minutes or so .

Hi-- very interested to hear about your experience from Tokyo to Yokohama.

Anyone have a recommendation for a private company/web site for a transfer from the Yokohama cruise port to NRT. Would try to arrange a transfer for up tp 8 people to reduce cost.

I don't know if you already found anyone; but we are using http://www.discover-japan-tours.com/en in March 2015 for our full day Tokyo tour and transfer from the port to the airport. I have communicated with him by email and Skype and he is a pleasure to work with.

I just returned from my 13 days Diamond Princess from Singapore to Yokohama trip. I organized large bus Kyoto tour from Kobe and Yokohama to Tokyo transfer with tour to Asakusa in the morning, lunch at fish market, shopping in Ginza and drop off to 8 hotels in late afternoon. We had 36 people to share the large bus and it cost under 40USD/pax with English speaking guide. I used "http://www.charterbus-limousine.com/" in both Kyoto and Tokyo and they are good.

Herman

Edited by choy1212

• 9 months later...

We arrive in Yohoma on the cruise ship Voyager of the Sea on April 25th and have no idea as to homw to get to our hoel in Tokyo. We are a couple of 80 year old seniors and would dearly like some help which is relative inexpensive. Your help is appreciated.

We arrive in Yohoma on the cruise ship Voyager of the Sea on April 25th and have no idea as to homw to get to our hoel in Tokyo. We are a couple of 80 year old seniors and would dearly like some help which is relative inexpensive. Your help is appreciated.

TRY THIS COMPANY - YOKAHAMA IS FAR AWAY FROM TOKYO AND THE TRAINS ARE DIFFICULT WITH LUGGAGE. YOU CAN SHARE WITH ANOTHER COUPLE (I'M SURE THERE WILL BE A TON OF TAKERS) AND THEY WILL GIVE YOU A TOUR OF TOKYO ON THE WAY. THEY DID THAT FOR OUR GROUP.IT WAS WONDERFUL. THEY PICKED US UP FROM THE SHIP AND GAVE US A FULL DAY TOUR OF TOKYO AND DROPPED US OFF AT OUR HOTEL.

BTW RCCL HAS IT ALL WRONG. VOYAGER CANNOT GO INTO YOKAHAMA. I WAS O N THIS SHIP LAST YEAR GOING INTO TOKYO. IT WON'T FIT UNDER THE BRIDGE. IT DOCKS CLOSER TO TOKYO. WE WENT ROUND AND ROUND WITH THEM ON THIS TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT. NO ONE SEEMED TO KNOW THIS (AND APPARENTLY STILL DON'T) . THEY EVEN TALKED ABOUT DOCKING AT YOKAHAMA AT THE MEET AND MINGLE ON THE SHIP. WE HAD TO CORRECT THEM AND ASK THEM TO CLARIFY WITH THE CAPTAIN. SURE ENOUGH, NO DOCKING AT YOKAHAMA. SO JUST A HEADS UP TO PUSH THEM TO GIVE YOU THE RIGHT DOCKING INFORMATION FOR TOKYO

http://www.charterbus-limousine.com