Packing tips

oliveoilrunning

Don't pack too much. Seriously.

Best advice ever. We did a RTW trip with carry on only and have now done two long cruise trips with carry on only.

Cubes help with organizing for sure. But, they do not save room unless you are compacting - space is space - LOL! (5 shirts in a cube equals 5 shirts in the suitcase-spacewise)

What are some of the best packing tips, or packing supplies, that you can share?

I like bringing a shoe organizer that velcros to the closet rod. We use it for all sorts of items. It's just a nice way to store many items in their own little compartments without taking up a lot of space.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use packing cubes for specific things: Toiletries, so it can be taken straight to the bathroom to unpack further; medicine chest/first aid, which is robust for a cruise since it can be hard to get to a store for cold medicine or diarrhea medicine, plus stuff to treat and wrap blisters, plus an ace bandage for a minor sprain; and a third for electronics (goes in my carry on) with the chargers, batteries, extension cord, etc. I try to get everyone to wear sneakers, and bring only flip flops, water shoes, and one pair dressy shoes for dinner. 4 pair is already too many but necessary!

I use packing cubes for specific things: Toiletries, so it can be taken straight to the bathroom to unpack further; medicine chest/first aid, which is robust for a cruise since it can be hard to get to a store for cold medicine or diarrhea medicine, plus stuff to treat and wrap blisters, plus an ace bandage for a minor sprain; and a third for electronics (goes in my carry on) with the chargers, batteries, extension cord, etc. I try to get everyone to wear sneakers, and bring only flip flops, water shoes, and one pair dressy shoes for dinner. 4 pair is already too many but necessary!

Was this a joke? I seriously cannot tell

Concentrate on the things you would find it hard to buy or replace on a cruise. For example medications, extra pair of shoes, etc. Don't stress too much about clothing as you could probably buy on the ship or in port. I pack a month in advance. then a week before the trip I take everything out of the suitcase and try to leave behind as much as possible. I put together a mini first aid kit to take on shore excursions and have used it. duct tape is handy for ripped suitcases.

If you need to pack a lot in a smaller space those space saver bags work great. You do not need a vacuum. Just put your weight on them to get all of the air out before zipping them up. I use every cruise. That way I can travel with carry on luggage only.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a tip I got from this site many years ago - cross pack your suitcases. I put pants/tops/shoes for both me and my DH in each of our checked bags, so if one piece of our luggage is misplaced, goes to another city, etc. we each have something to wear. DH is an ex-offensive lineman and he just can't walk into any store to buy clothes! Like Maniacal Cruiser, I also put one change of clothes in our carry-on bags as well.

I am also a Ziploc bag devotee. Everything goes into Ziplocs. This makes it easy to put smaller items into our shoes to save on suitcase space. I don't have to worry about my toiletries spilling into the shoes or suitcase.

LOL...people make packing so complicated. I simply take what I need for the trip and put it in my suitcase. No special bags, cubes or gold lined bags needed. I may roll any dress pants or shirts to minimize wrinkles but that is as extravagant as I get.

No, I meant no one needs to bring first aid kits, cold medicines, bandages for a sprain, batteries, and etc. That is an ex of overpacking imo b/c a lot of that stuff can be bought or are unnecessary.

No, I meant no one needs to bring first aid kits, cold medicines, bandages for a sprain, batteries, and etc. That is an ex of overpacking imo b/c a lot of that stuff can be bought or are unnecessary.

I alway's bring a kit.

Overpacking is fine on a ship bring it all. :evilsmile:

Where do you buy Tum's @ 3 am .

Edited by biker@sea
  • Like 1

I travel extensively and always take various OTC medications because you can't always get them in different countries and an excursion/cruise can be ruined by cold symptoms or bowel/stomach disorders. I spent a very miserable 2 weeks in Beijing a couple of years ago. This year, I was prepared and had a much better experience. Even having a cold at Disney World Resort cost me a lot more than if I had just packed a wee little blister packet of decongestants. I am not about to see the doctor on board for a cut finger. I am sure my bandaids are much cheaper. First aid kits take very little room and can come in very handy......just in case. ;)

• Like 1

I travel extensively and always take various OTC medications because you can't always get them in different countries and an excursion/cruise can be ruined by cold symptoms or bowel/stomach disorders. I spent a very miserable 2 weeks in Beijing a couple of years ago. This year, I was prepared and had a much better experience. Even having a cold at Disney World Resort cost me a lot more than if I had just packed a wee little blister packet of decongestants. I am not about to see the doctor on board for a cut finger. I am sure my bandaids are much cheaper. First aid kits take very little room and can come in very handy......just in case. ;)

anti diarrhea meds i can understand....but cold medicine? That I don't think you need.

Have you ever been sick on a cruise ship? Ever looked at what do or don't sell in the tiny sundries shop? Want to cancel your shore excursions to take a taxi to a drugstore?

Not a joke. It's not a big bag. In fact I take things out of cardboard boxes to skinny it down. But I got norovirus along with 300 others on Carnival Glory. You go to the ship doctor and you get a $300 charge added to your ship charges. Do you know how many blisters and sprains happen on shore excursions, getting on and off boats and docks? Climbing on rocks? The ship doctor charges $300 to wrap ace bandage on it for you and charges $20 for the bandage. Bleah. Any other travel I know I can pop in to a drugstore any time. Not on a cruise ship!

• Like 1

Have you ever been sick on a cruise ship? Ever looked at what do or don't sell in the tiny sundries shop? Want to cancel your shore excursions to take a taxi to a drugstore?

Not a joke. It's not a big bag. In fact I take things out of cardboard boxes to skinny it down. But I got norovirus along with 300 others on Carnival Glory. You go to the ship doctor and you get a $300 charge added to your ship charges. Do you know how many blisters and sprains happen on shore excursions, getting on and off boats and docks? Climbing on rocks? The ship doctor charges $300 to wrap ace bandage on it for you and charges $20 for the bandage. Bleah. Any other travel I know I can pop in to a drugstore any time. Not on a cruise ship!

I agree with you wholeheartedly Bill. My sister, whom I always travel with, is our "pharmacist". She carries everything from ibuprofen to Pepto, and everything in between....Benadryl, Neosporin, Imodium, decongestant tablets, dramamine, band-aids, gauze pads, alcohol pads, eye wash and eye drops, Aspercreme, etc. It has come in handy several times; we didn't want to have to go to the infirmary or pay the exorbitant prices in the gift shop for over-the-counter meds.

anti diarrhea meds i can understand....but cold medicine? That I don't think you need.

I am a retired medical professional. I have a printed list for cruises. We have been in other countries trying to locate Rx they have not heard of. .

I put a 2 week supply of each in small snack -size ziplock bag. with Sharpie- write name and dosage info. put those all together in large ziplock bag -call it the medicine bag. squeeze out air , less space than a shoe.

It includes nsaids (pain relievers-Tylenol and Motrin) ,Imodium tabs,(diarrhea ) ,antacids tabs, Meclizine HCl ( motion sickness) tabs (generic Dramamine), Theraflu or NyQuil , Sudafed tabs, Pepto tabs and mucus relief tabs (mucinex). Small tube hydrocortisone cream for insect bites or rash. small individual twist-top saline (for eye wash)

RX items are:1 course antibiotics for each (in case of infection) a few Promethazine suppositories (nausea & vomiting-think food poisoning) 1 course Tamaflu and small bottle of antibiotic eyedrops (conjunctivitis -pink eye)

I have small diagnostic items like finger pulse oximeter and wrist BP monitor for husband.

Standard bandaids, small alcohol swabs, ointment and small ace bandage. 1 knee and ankle brace.(small, flexible kind)

If we are going to Alaska, not too worried if I forgot something. Insect repellant -Easy to find....

But, we are going on 40 day Australia /Asia cruise next spring and this will be a must.

I guess I can cross Bottled water and soda off my list now :confused:. (time for a new list)

I guess it depends on ones age and heath status. Just keep cruising :cool:

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

I am a retired medical professional. I have a printed list for cruises. We have been in other countries trying to locate Rx they have not heard of. .

I put a 2 week supply of each in small snack -size ziplock bag. with Sharpie- write name and dosage info. put those all together in large ziplock bag -call it the medicine bag. squeeze out air , less space than a shoe.

It includes nsaids (pain relievers-Tylenol and Motrin) ,Imodium tabs,(diarrhea ) ,antacids tabs, Meclizine HCl ( motion sickness) tabs (generic Dramamine), Theraflu or NyQuil , Sudafed tabs, Pepto tabs and mucus relief tabs (mucinex). Small tube hydrocortisone cream for insect bites or rash. small individual twist-top saline (for eye wash)

RX items are:1 course antibiotics for each (in case of infection) a few Promethazine suppositories (nausea & vomiting-think food poisoning) 1 course Tamaflu and small bottle of antibiotic eyedrops (conjunctivitis -pink eye)

I have small diagnostic items like finger pulse oximeter and wrist BP monitor for husband.

Standard bandaids, small alcohol swabs, ointment and small ace bandage. 1 knee and ankle brace.(small, flexible kind)

If we are going to Alaska, not too worried if I forgot something. Insect repellant -Easy to find....

But, we are going on 40 day Australia /Asia cruise next spring and this will be a must.

I guess I can cross Bottled water and soda off my list now :confused:. (time for a new list)

I guess it depends on ones age and heath status. Just keep cruising :cool:

- tylenol is not a NSAID.

- cold medicine aren't needed imo. You can live w/ a cough

- antibiotics aren't indicated until after 1 week of a cold. otherwise it is mostly viral and you are causing more problems that fixing imo. I.E. I would most likely get diarrhea if I took antibiotics.

- I still don't think an ankle or knee brace is necessary.

- little vials of saline aren't going to be useful if something caustic gets into your eyes.

- antibiotic eye drops is overkill imo

- and a pulse ox reader? C'mon...just take the vitals yourself. If they cannot breath, then you are going to see the doctor no matter what b/c they are going to need something more than what you have.

And yes, I have gotten sick on the ship. Diarrhea. Just treat it w/ Imodium.

- antibiotics aren't indicated until after 1 week of a cold. otherwise it is mostly viral and you are causing more problems that fixing imo. I.E. I would most likely get diarrhea if I took antibiotics.

- little vials of saline aren't going to be useful if something caustic gets into your eyes.

- and a pulse ox reader? C'mon...just take the vitals yourself. If they cannot breath, then you are going to see the doctor no matter what b/c they are going to need something more than what you have.

THEY WILL PUT YOU IN QUARANTINE IF THEY THINK YOUR 'COUGH' OR 'DIARRHEA' POSES A THREAT TO 4K PASSENGERS! JUST BRING THE MEDS! AND DEFINITELY BRING TUMS, YOU KNOW YOU'RE GONNA GET HEARTBURN AT SOME POINT! :o

What are some of the best packing tips, or packing supplies, that you can share?

After you pack take half of what you put in originally out of your suitcase and leave it home. When you repack take another 25% out and leave that home too, and you will be about right on how much clothing to take.

GEEZ...just trying to help others who may not have thought of some items. CHEERS

We all have different opinions on this, however, with a medical background, I side with Phissy and respect the advice, which is what it is, and will continue to bring almost the exact same meds. The only thing I add is a muscle relaxant since I have spondylosis. We are all different and your posts are very disrespectful of those who have cruised previously. What works for you, does not work for others. DONE!! Got it? Hope so.