CC management thinks it's a good idea for 'auto posting' to roll calls...

Deatsch

I'm certain I'll receive a warning, spanking, bad boy for this...

BUT.

Why on EARTH would this website come up with such an inane idea. It appears the 'posters' don't even know it's happening.

The auto posts are being DUPLICATED on at least one roll call.

I'm sitting here shaking my head as I don my fireproof undies.

I'm certain I'll receive a warning, spanking, bad boy for this...

BUT.

Why on EARTH would this website come up with such an inane idea. It appears the 'posters' don't even know it's happening.

The auto posts are being DUPLICATED on at least one roll call.

I'm sitting here shaking my head as I don my fireproof undies.

Have no idea what you are talking about, perhaps a little more info.

They have been doing the auto post for a few months now. I agree it is annoying. Majority of the time the person doesn't ever join the roll call.

Not only do the people not know that the auto post is being made on their behalf but they also don't join the roll call. I just ignore all those robo posts and don't add the people to the roll call unless they post themselves. I agree that this was not a well thought out idea by Cruise Critic or Celebrity or whoever is generating the robo posts. And I don't understand why people sign up for the connections party and then don't join the roll call.

Have no idea what you are talking about, perhaps a little more info.

Don, you must not be participating in a lot of roll calls. Cruise Critic or Celebrity (I've forgotten what the explanation was) decided to send an auto post to the roll call when people sign up for the connections party and/or join Cruise Critic. Roll calls are littered with them. For the most part, that person never actually shows up on the roll call. And, of course, has no idea that this robo post has been made.

Here's what the posts look like:

Hi Everyone! I am sailing on this cruise and looking forward to chatting with all of you!

- This is an autopost from a new member to Cruise Critic; please welcome them to your Roll Call!

Don, you must not be participating in a lot of roll calls. Cruise Critic or Celebrity (I've forgotten what the explanation was) decided to send an auto post to the roll call when people sign up for the connections party and/or join Cruise Critic. Roll calls are littered with them. For the most part, that person never actually shows up on the roll call. And, of course, has no idea that this robo post has been made.

Hi Everyone! I am sailing on this cruise and looking forward to chatting with all of you!

- This is an autopost from a new member to Cruise Critic; please welcome them to your Roll Call!

Thanks Linda, good explanation. I have to tell you its probably better than another board I was on earlier this year. Everytime someone posted a new thread, they created a new thread with essentially an advertisement for something like Disney, or just about anything. They haven't had anyone post on their board in two months.

Goodness, I wondered what they were. I've never seen them before, but they have appeared on the roll call for our forthcoming Solstice cruise. I wondered why nobody responded to the "posters", and thought it quite rude to just ignore them. I'm glad that this thread popped up or I would have made myself look daft saying, "Hi ... Isn't this exciting, blah, blah, blah." :)

Well that explains something I didn't know. I'm keeping a roll call for a cruise and I'd asked these posters to let me have names etc and no reply. I didn't realise it was an auto post from signing upto connections.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When one signs up for the Celebrity connections party is the auto post using their real name (including last name) or cc name? Now I am considering whether or not to even sign up for the party.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well that explains something I didn't know. I'm keeping a roll call for a cruise and I'd asked these posters to let me have names etc and no reply. I didn't realise it was an auto post from signing upto connections.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As updater/re-poster of our Reflection sailing, I've done the same thing but if I get no reply with names, I don't add the auto-poster to the list. I request locations, too, as it's amazing what a small world it is- fun to read on the roll call that someone lives in the same town as somebody else on the sailing!

When one signs up for the Celebrity connections party is the auto post using their real name (including last name) or cc name? Now I am considering whether or not to even sign up for the party.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are totally anonymous save for whatever is in the pale blue bar atop your posts. On roll calls I usually sign off with my first name. When I keep roll call lists I don't ask for last names or cabin #s to further privacy.

On this year's Mardi Gras cruise, we had a VERY active roll call with lots of active long-time Cruise Critic members. Suddenly, these robo posts start happening and everyone assumed that they were some kind of spam and a few fairly nasty replies followed. Finally someone from CC posted that this was a new feature to make it easier for CC newbies to get involved. I'm not sure if any of them actually engaged with the group.

A few have popped up on our current roll call where I'm keeping the list of participants. When I see one, I always reply with a welcome and encourage them to come back and chat with us. I make it clear that the most they need to share are their first names and perhaps geographic location - no last names or cabin numbers, please. I don't know if that prompts CC to notify the new poster but we've gotten a few replies and people have gotten involved on the roll call.

To those of us who've been involved with Cruise Critic since the early days, navigating the boards is no big deal but to someone new, it can be intimidating. There's another board - not travel related - that I've been trying to comprehend for years with no success so I'm sympathetic to newcomers.

Thanks Linda, good explanation. I have to tell you its probably better than another board I was on earlier this year. Everytime someone posted a new thread, they created a new thread with essentially an advertisement for something like Disney, or just about anything. They haven't had anyone post on their board in two months.

If it's the site I think it is, I haven't visited it in months because it was so dead. I just looked in and there has not been a post on the Celebrity board since April! Too bad; there used to be some lively discussions over there. (nursedebra)

I do agree that the auto posts are useless, and just ignore them, unless the peeson comes back.

If it's the site I think it is, I haven't visited it in months because it was so dead. I just looked in and there has not been a post on the Celebrity board since April! Too bad; there used to be some lively discussions over there. (nursedebra)

I do agree that the auto posts are useless, and just ignore them, unless the peeson comes back.

Yes, that's it.

• Administrators

Hi Folks!

I wanted to stop by and clear up a few things.

• First, we (meaning Cruise Critic) aren't signing anyone up for a roll call without their notice. An action must be taken by the member -- in this case they must click a button (see below for more info).

• AND registering to attend a Meet & Mingle or Connections party doesn't automatically add a post of any kind to the Roll Call, or anywhere else on Cruise Critic.

There are many different ways people find the community forums -- or Roll Calls -- on Cruise Critic. Some find us via our Roll Call pages. Here's a link to one, if you haven't already seen one: https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/celebrity-infinity-december-8-2017/

If you are logged in, you will see a button on those pages called "I'm Sailing". This is essentially for newbies to our site; they click that button and if they are logged in our system will post for them on the Roll Call. Then, as you know, they'll automatically begin receiving notifications for the next posting. This, hopefully, will encourage them to continue participating on the Roll Call.

At least, that was what we wanted to happen. And it does, just not to the extent we thought it would. We're trying new things, and this was one of them.

We have some fixes and tweaks in store, one of which is to fix this feature. And some new updates to our Roll Call webpages, and how to easily find them if you are already participating on the forums.

I'll be happy to answer any questions,

Laura

• Administrators
I would just like to be able to sign up for the Connections Party. My cruise is 19 days away and no matter what I do I have not been able to successfully sign up.

Hi,

Just a quick note to let you know that we have reached out a number of times to Celebrity in an attempt to get this fixed. We're still waiting for information.

Laura

We and our roll call participants ..3 going now... just ignore the robo posts unless a person actually makes a valid post..They get no welcomes and and not added to the roll call list.. Who wants to talk to a robo post anyhow?

CC should advise newbies a post was made on their behalf which might actually encourage them to participate.

Many folks register for the meet and greet just to go, get free coffee and cake, and see the ship staff..They are not interested in particpating on the roll calls per se.

Others register and post but make clear they are with their own group which may or may not be communicating with each other on soc media...

Others post only to put together pvt excursion groups..some are just looking for friends, others organize tours professionally!

Different strokes for diff folks!

I would just like to be able to sign up for the Connections Party. My cruise is 19 days away and no matter what I do I have not been able to successfully sign up.

Our role call is also very frustrated with the inability to "connect".

If you can fix this, that would be great, Laura.