Deaf employed on cruise ships?

laceydoxie

My son is huge cruise enthusiast. He is only 15 years old but has been on quite a few cruises and DREAMS to someday work on a ship. He is deaf and I cannot find anything that says if any cruise lines employ the deaf. I do see that they must meet ADA standards - but mostly that seems for passengers. Any one know??

My son is huge cruise enthusiast. He is only 15 years old but has been on quite a few cruises and DREAMS to someday work on a ship. He is deaf and I cannot find anything that says if any cruise lines employ the deaf. I do see that they must meet ADA standards - but mostly that seems for passengers. Any one know??

Seems like a question to be asked directly of the various cruise line personnel recruiters.

You should also point out that working onboard a ship is NOTHING like being a passenger. The hours are long and contracts are long (time you will be away from "home")

I don't think they have to meet any US employment non-discrimination laws. From a couple of books I've read, all crew and officer positions (I know some entertainment staff as well, but probably not headliners) require a physical and bloodwork, and they don't hire for many conditions that would be covered by the ADA.

The ability to hear sounds and understand speech may well be a "bona fide occupational requirement". All crew members have a muster position and they must be able to hear the directions given to them. Cochlear implants are improving all the time but it's still a challenge for their users to understand speech - especially in environments full of background noise.

The ADA doesn't apply outside of the US. Your son's hearing impairment doesn't sound like there can be anything like "Reasonable Accommodation".

Actually, the foreign flag cruise ships do not need to meet ADA requirements completely. The US Supreme Court, in "Spector v. NCL" ruled that ADA requirements that apply to the ship's "internal policies and procedures" do not have to abide by the ADA.

Now, the international STCW (Standards of Training, Competency, and Watchkeeping), which all nation's ships and mariners (anyone with an assigned emergency duty, in other words the whole crew on a cruise ship) must meet are listed here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi3gcLpxqPWAhVJ94MKHXh0A7IQFggoMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhandbook.ncmm.no%2Findex.php%2Fhearing&usg=AFQjCNHx121tnKndsmfpn7xwGiMUX96vXg

Without knowing your son's conditions, I would say that the chances of hiring a hearing impaired crew member is almost nil. The crew must be able to perform their assigned emergency duties without requiring assistance from another crew member. They must be able to hear emergency signals, and understand commands in situations where noise levels may be high.

wow, so hugely disappointing. I realize deaf still cannot enter military- I had no idea it was the same for cruise ships. I guess I have 5-10 years to find a way to make this happen for my son. I will explore Sub-contractors on cruise ships perhaps, or pray time improves technology or there's always the good old fashioned advocacy method. Hearing impaired people have had ability to drive cars since he 1920's but only recently did courts allow them to drive commercial vehicles after lawsuit against UPS. My dreams are intact, but a new challenge is now on my horizon :D Any more info or insight folks can offer would be useful thanks

I have seen a sign language interpreter on a ship before. I don't know if she was a guest, or was someone that was working for them. Perhaps they have a part time "as needed" position for one.

The interpreter was providing interpretation for a hearing impaired guest, not a crew member.

It's nice to know of your son's interest i. Potentially working on a cruise ship. May I politely suggest that at age 15 he be the one to take the lead to explore his future options - whatever his interests are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

wow, so hugely disappointing. I realize deaf still cannot enter military- I had no idea it was the same for cruise ships. I guess I have 5-10 years to find a way to make this happen for my son. I will explore Sub-contractors on cruise ships perhaps, or pray time improves technology or there's always the good old fashioned advocacy method. Hearing impaired people have had ability to drive cars since he 1920's but only recently did courts allow them to drive commercial vehicles after lawsuit against UPS. My dreams are intact, but a new challenge is now on my horizon :D Any more info or insight folks can offer would be useful thanks

Unfortunately, the advocacy method will have little success. Realize that US labor, discrimination, and equal opportunity laws have virtually no jurisdiction over cruise ships, and that the regulations I cited are from international accords. While signatory nations (such as the Bahamas and Panama for most cruise ships, not the US, as the "flag state" laws apply) may institute more stringent requirements, they cannot enact less stringent requirements. So, your advocacy would have to be aimed at the IMO in London.

As to the contractors onboard (concessionaires, really), one of the conditions of the concession license is that the concessionaire's personnel will be assigned to emergency duties as the cruise line sees fit, so they fall under STCW fitness standards as well.

While the possibilities for your son are nearly limitless in the US, I'm afraid that barring some new technology that could give him hearing, that a career on a cruise ship is not one of them.

Even on US flag cruise ships (I worked the ones in Hawaii when there were 3), SOLAS and USCG regulations overrule ADA and other equal opportunity laws. We banned pregnant crew because they could not perform their safety duties, nor get into lifesaving equipment without assistance from other crew, therefore presenting a hazard to others.

Once we were on a cruise with deaf passengers. They were a group who must have booked together through an agency for the deaf. During the shows they all had the 1st two rows of seats in the theater on the starboard side. There was an interpreter standing with her back against the stage. She signed everything that was said or sung on the stage. It was a happy thing to see.

pipe dream at best. there are MANY things deaf people cannot be reasonably expected to do safely simply because they cannot hear. in no way is this discrimination, it is merely a facet of the job requirements. it is no different than being required to lift 100 pounds as a function of the job( working on farm and lifting hay bales) or needing normal color vision as an electrician.

the second nearly unsurmountable problem is the fact that he is American. the lines rarely hire Americans for most positions for a variety of reasons.

pipe dream at best. there are MANY things deaf people cannot be reasonably expected to do safely simply because they cannot hear. in no way is this discrimination, it is merely a facet of the job requirements. it is no different than being required to lift 100 pounds as a function of the job( working on farm and lifting hay bales) or needing normal color vision as an electrician.

the second nearly unsurmountable problem is the fact that he is American. the lines rarely hire Americans for most positions for a variety of reasons.

Well put. Accepting one's limitations is part of maturing - as is learning to realistically look beyond the glossy cover of an unread book. Except for the professionals: ships' officers and entertainment and hotel management directors, cruise ship jobs offer only hard work, long hours and low pay.

I would check with cruise companies that have smaller, more personalised service and don't have those mass hiring policies. Check with Uncruise Adventures. They operate out of Seattle and do Alaska and Hawaii. Also check the river cruise lines. Viking has their head office in California. American Cruise Lines is another possibility. I believe they are required to only hire Americans as they operate only within the country (re: Jones Act). Do some checking with those 3 and you'll likely get some more solid answers. Good luck to your son. 😊

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Forums mobile app

I would check with cruise companies that have smaller, more personalised service and don't have those mass hiring policies. Check with Uncruise Adventures. They operate out of Seattle and do Alaska and Hawaii. Also check the river cruise lines. Viking has their head office in California. American Cruise Lines is another possibility. I believe they are required to only hire Americans as they operate only within the country (re: Jones Act). Do some checking with those 3 and you'll likely get some more solid answers. Good luck to your son. 😊

Where a cruise line has their corporate office has no impact on the flag being flown on the ship- I believe that both NCL and CCL have their offices in Miami. NCL has the Pride of America that is US flagged but as chengkp75 points out other regulations supersede the application of the ADA to crew members. I certainly wish OP's son well but agree with others that he should focus his career choice working ashore.

Where a cruise line has their corporate office has no impact on the flag being flown on the ship- I believe that both NCL and CCL have their offices in Miami. NCL has the Pride of America that is US flagged but as chengkp75 points out other regulations supersede the application of the ADA to crew members. I certainly wish OP's son well but agree with others that he should focus his career choice working ashore.

That wasn't my point. I'm fully aware where everyone's offices are. Since I work in the business myself, I recommended talking to those ones as they are easy to talk to their HR and I know their hiring process is different. Since none of us are experts on the subject, I think giving her some options to explore is better than telling her there is no hope for her son. I'm sure she's heard that enough. There's still more research she can do.

My son is huge cruise enthusiast. He is only 15 years old but has been on quite a few cruises and DREAMS to someday work on a ship.

my 6 year old is the same... But I keep explaining to him that WORKING on a cruise is not the same as cruising for fun. :) He still doesn't get the concept of working, poor lad.

Except for the professionals: ships' officers and entertainment and hotel management directors, cruise ship jobs offer only hard work, long hours and low pay.
and very cramped quarters.

That's why you see all the foreigners filling the waiting and cleaning staff positions. To them $5/h is a lot of money, but it's not a lot for an American.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

I wish your son the best in whatever career path he chooses. My boys both wanted to work on cruises ships also but as they approached high school graduation and college, they seemed to forget about it and focused on other fields. After the FBI tour, they also wanted to be FBI agents. So did my husband.....[emoji849]

My unsolicited advice would be to let him enjoy his high school years and allow his career path to develop naturally.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That wasn't my point. I'm fully aware where everyone's offices are. Since I work in the business myself, I recommended talking to those ones as they are easy to talk to their HR and I know their hiring process is different. Since none of us are experts on the subject, I think giving her some options to explore is better than telling her there is no hope for her son. I'm sure she's heard that enough. There's still more research she can do.

Actually chengkp75 is an expert since he has spent 42 years working in commercial shipping and he provided a very informative link to what the hearing requirements are for mariners. He also addressed US flagged ships in a follow on post pointing out that there are other laws that apply to mariners that nullify the ADA. I am not one that is into giving someone false hope.

Actually chengkp75 is an expert since he has spent 42 years working in commercial shipping and he provided a very informative link to what the hearing requirements are for mariners. He also addressed US flagged ships in a follow on post pointing out that there are other laws that apply to mariners that nullify the ADA. I am not one that is into giving someone false hope.

Oh my goodness. I gave suggestions for her to contact those HR departments to get some clear answers from them. Move on. Enjoy your day. Seriously!!

I like the ideas of contacting smaller companies HR departments. Alot has changed in technology and supports for Deaf people. Not only cochlear implants that don't always work but video phones and access to digital alert systems. 5-10 years from now with advocacy and education the laws might very well catch up.

I know Deaf nurses and a Deaf firefighter they work in emergencies and have systems of communication in place with their team to be able to respond in life and death situations.

If life as a crew member is not for him it should be for any other reason, long hours, hard work, minimal pay, customer service skills and dealing with the public. Does he enjoy serving others? Or any other reason not solely because he is Deaf.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

I have several children, and not one who is an adult are employed in the field they were interested in when they were 15 years old. As he gets older and is exposed to other experiences, I'm sure your son will find a way to channel his interest in a different direction.

Regardless of what a company's "hiring process" is, the link I gave is the international requirement for anyone working on a ship, anywhere in the world, under any flag, owned by any company. These are the hard facts, and there is no way around them.

I like the ideas of contacting smaller companies HR departments. Alot has changed in technology and supports for Deaf people. Not only cochlear implants that don't always work but video phones and access to digital alert systems. 5-10 years from now with advocacy and education the laws might very well catch up.

I know Deaf nurses and a Deaf firefighter they work in emergencies and have systems of communication in place with their team to be able to respond in life and death situations.

If life as a crew member is not for him it should be for any other reason, long hours, hard work, minimal pay, customer service skills and dealing with the public. Does he enjoy serving others? Or any other reason not solely because he is Deaf.

And, as I've said, what applies in the US, has no bearing on a foreign flag cruise ship. Not sure how a video phone or digital alert system would help a deaf person react to orders in a life threatening situation. As to the deaf nurse and firefighter, obviously those positions, in those locales, either have no requirement for hearing acuity or very low ones, and allow the use of devices you mention, by regulation. However, as I've said, the regulation for seafarers is as I've linked, and the only way to get that changed is to petition to the IMO in London, and get a majority of the maritime nations of the world to agree to the change. And just because we may have access to advanced hearing technology in the future, does not mean that it would be available, at an affordable cost, in the majority of maritime nations that supply the majority of mariners, so they would have little interest in supporting a change like this. In 40 years or so, this may change with technology, but in this person's lifetime, I don't believe it will happen.

I'm curious how this works. I am in law enforcement, and while I'm unaware of it ever being challenged - we have to pass a physical as part of the application process. If you can't accomplish all the pre-employment tests you can't be hired. This includes being physically able to pass a fitness test, being able to pass an interview with a psychologist, and passing a physical with a hearing and vision test. I had to get lasik before I applied because they have a standard for uncorrected vision that you have to pass. I can't see how a deaf person could adequately function in our job, but I also am not sure how it would work in firefighting too. Although one difference might be that we work individually and rely on a radio for communication while firefighters are dispatched in teams so one person not being able to hear the radio is less critical.

He could work at corporate, that's better than nothing, yes?