What were your favorite ports?

lyrehc0521

I am planning a cruise with my daughter (who just turned 21) in January, 2018. I have spent more time reading through all the information on here then I care to admit. It's all so overwhelming. Some background:

I have been on 2 cruises but at least 10 years ago. My daughter has been on 1 with her father.

I don't drink and my daughter, having just turned 21, might have a few but nothing excessive.

My daughter is in school and classes start back up on 1/20.

I'm willing to cruise out of any port in the US on the eastern coast.

I think I've narrowed it down to a 7 night western caribbean cruise on Carnival Splendor out of Miami, FL, stopping in Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay and Grand Cayman.

I realize cruising is subjective but I was just wondering if this seems like a good choice based on what we're looking for. We're not high maintenance and really just want to relax and enjoy a gorgeous beach and weather. I really want to zip line and horseback ride on the beach and my daughter is interested in sloths and monkeys.

Appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions. Thank you!

I think you will be fine with the itinerary you suggested. We enjoy Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Check out Nachi Cocum or Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel for an all-inclusive beach day.

I would take a look at the dedicated Carnival forum for more info on the ship and/or itinerary: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215.

The port of call forums might give you some ideas for excursions: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

I'd also like to welcome you to Cruise Critic.

Wonderful choice of itinerary PLUS, the Carnival Splendor is one of my favorite ships of all time...and I am not a big Carnival fan....but it is soooo relaxing and the perfect size. Not too big and not too small. Love the "aft adult pool" with its own bar and where the deli sandwiches are.. Great gym, dining venues and the comedy club!!!! :cool:

I would do the cave river tubing in Belize (we did it and it was wonderful - http://www.coralbreezetours.com/Product.17/tours_add.html?t_product=17 we did it in 2009 with this tour company), and I'd do Stingray City + snorkeling in Grand Cayman.

Cozumel is kinda useless to us, but we are thinking of beach/snorkeling this time.

Of the ones you mention we enjoy Cayman and also Cozumel but some of this really comes down to what you want to do in each port.

Always remember if you don't like a port you can enjoy the ship because the ship will be quieter with more people off the ship.

I also like Miami over Fort Lauderdale and would advise arriving one or two more days prior to the cruise.

Keith

I am planning a cruise with my daughter (who just turned 21) in January, 2018. I have spent more time reading through all the information on here then I care to admit. It's all so overwhelming. Some background:

I have been on 2 cruises but at least 10 years ago. My daughter has been on 1 with her father.

I don't drink and my daughter, having just turned 21, might have a few but nothing excessive.

I think I've narrowed it down to a 7 night western caribbean cruise on Carnival Splendor out of Miami, FL, stopping in Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay and Grand Cayman.

I realize cruising is subjective but I was just wondering if this seems like a good choice based on what we're looking for. We're not high maintenance and really just want to relax and enjoy a gorgeous beach and weather. I really want to zip line and horseback ride on the beach and my daughter is interested in sloths and monkeys.

We went to Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel last month and it was a great way to relax! Search them online (and on Facebook). They were fantastic.

And I know what you mean about the research. I was driving the hubby nuts because I researched every last detail for every cruise we do!

Have a fabulous time!

The OP is talking about a Caribbean cruise in a little more then 3 months. It now appears that much of the Eastern Caribbean islands have been damaged (some very severely) by hurricanes (with more damage coming within the next day). We would suspect that just about every cruise (in the next few months) to the Eastern Caribbean (i.e. St Maarten, St Thomas, San Juan, etc) will have major itinerary changes. Barring any future storms it does seem like the so-called Western Caribbean (i.e. Cozumel, Grand Cayman, etc) are going to be the best bet this winter....but those islands are likely going to be overrun with more cruises as cruise lines alter their itineraries. The ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao) remain undamaged and are also good destinations. But their ability to absorb more cruise ships (who are changing itineraries from the Eastern Caribbean) are limited. And the ABC islands are not the best solution for 7 day cruises out of Florida because of the distances involved.

Hank

I'll add another vote for Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel. Cheap 10 min taxi ride, good place for a lazy beach day, and if you don't drink, the non-inclusive side will cost you nothing other than spending a few dollars on some pretty good food. One of our absolute favourite stops.

7 mile beach in Grand Cayman is also great for water activities and is a very cheap and quick public bus ride from the port area - although the taxi fare is pretty inexpensive as well.

1) St. Maarten

2) St. Maarten

3) St. Maarten

4) Amber Cove

5) St. Maarten

6) St. Maarten

FWIW, we haven't been on a Carnival cruise in quite some time. Always had a good time on Carnival, food at the time was pretty good, but have heard things have changed, as have most mainstream lines from what I gather. Never was a big fan of Carnival's decor, but have heard that newer ships are a bit more subdued without Joe Farcus designing them. Our next cruise is currently booked on Royal Caribbean, but we would certainly consider sailing Carnival again.