Luggage with plastic wrap

mcatmcat

Hi

For my next cruise I'm flying from Florida to Spain and we have decided to wrap our luggage a at the airport. I have never seen any luggage at the port wrapped with plastic, is it allowed? Since I'm arriving a day before the cruise I'm planning on not opening the luggage and use whatever I have on the carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

For my next cruise I'm flying from Florida to Spain and we have decided to wrap our luggage a at the airport. I have never seen any luggage at the port wrapped with plastic, is it allowed? Since I'm arriving a day before the cruise I'm planning on not opening the luggage and use whatever I have on the carry on

I've not seen any prohibitions against wrapping luggage in plastic.

But if they decide to do a TSA inspection of your luggage they will cut through it. But what is the purpose of wrapping in the first place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Protects the luggage and contents within from spills, dirt, torn off zippers, etc.

We use these. They are great and make me feel better about the bag not splitting a zipper. They are TSA compliant.

The purpose is to prevent theft.

In many Central American and South American countries airport theft of luggage contents was high enough that the practice of plastic wrapping luggage became prevalent. Theory is that a thief would pick an unwrapped suitcase to go through as it would be easier and quicker.

Miami has a high number of passengers flying to Central and South America and the wrapping service is offered there because the demand is there.

As someone pointed out above, if TSA wants to get inside your luggage, they will as the plastic wrap is not a deterrent.

So if you wrap your luggage, then it comes off the belt with no wrapping.....then what? lol there is no logical end

The plastic wrapping is to make sure the luggage handlers know which suitcase has the high value items to steal :-D

But seriously, it's a small theft deterrent, as well as protection against bad zippers and spills.

I don't use suitcases with a zipper, so I've never felt the need for plastic wrapping.

The plastic wrapping is to make sure the luggage handlers know which suitcase has the high value items to steal :-D

But seriously, it's a small theft deterrent, as well as protection against bad zippers and spills.

I don't use suitcases with a zipper, so I've never felt the need for plastic wrapping.

Exactly.

I work with a group that does a LOT of international travel, and to ALL parts of the world (I have visited 138 countries so far), so LOTS of poor/3rd world countries.

None of us have ever wrapped luggage and have only had something stolen twice. One person put a digital camera in a soft side suitcase. The suitcase was cut just enough to reach in and steal the camera. Best guess is it happened at MIA.

Second time, luggage did not arrive back in the US. This person was on the phone YELLING at the expediter, who had nothing to do with lost luggage. Only getting the person to the airport and checked in. BUT, could be instrumental in FINDING the luggage and getting it back. The luggage was found, and shipped back, but missing ALL the contents. I am not sure where the "theft" was, but listening to this guy (who no longer works for us) yell at the poor guy trying to help, I have a suspicion. :)

I see the wrapping as a way for the vendors doing wrapping to make money.

I checked in last week behind a group of four people that had probably 18-20 pieces of Tumi luggage amongst the group that had all been wrapped. Based on their appearance, the fact that their bags alone, minus the contents, were worth ~$20,000 and they all had NetJets and FlexJet luggage tags...I would imagine they had some pricey contents that they didn't want someone else to snatch along the way.

At least in the states, I've always thought the attention it brings would just be begging for TSA to open it up anyway.

Thank you for your comments.

Also, if TSA needs to open your wrapped luggage the same wrapping company will rewrap the luggage for free. It's part of their service and the luggage it's also covered with insurance.

I keep my expensive cloths and items in the carry on but it has a limit so I need to also fill my checked bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Protects the luggage and contents within from spills, dirt, torn off zippers, etc.

Not really. The only purpose is to prevent theft or to prevent baggage handlers from putting stuff in your luggage. You only see this service offered at a few airports.