New NCL advisement re itinerary changes Eastern Caribbean

Tangocherie

Fellow cruisers,

Unfortunately, as expected, we have received this most recent advisement from NCL regarding possible changes to the itinerary of our 12/18/17 sailing on Norwegian Jade. I said "unfortunately" because I would have hoped that these violent storms would not be part of this cruise season. All our best wishes to all affected:

Dear ,

Norwegian Cruise Line is heartbroken at the terrible impact Hurricane Irma had on several islands in the Eastern Caribbean - ports that we have called on since the start of our 50 years in business, some of which are included in the itinerary that you are currently booked on.

In the wake of this devastating storm and as part of our recovery efforts, we are working closely with our partners on the ground to determine the best way to continue to provide relief to the areas impacted by and recovering from Hurricane Irma and to determine the extent of damage that it inflicted. We are anticipating that your current itinerary will be adjusted to ensure your comfort, safety and an outstanding guest experience. We expect having this information to you within the next two weeks as new ports of call are secured.

We appreciate your patience during this very difficult time. At Norwegian Cruise Line safety of our guests, crew and ships is our number one priority, and we hope you understand that these changes are necessary.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

Edited by Tangocherie

I received a similar email today for our sailing on January 6th. I am so curious where are ports will be? I believe for the next two months they are simply changing to the Escape's Western route...Any ideas?

It's not that simple. Those ports have capacities and have ships in place and scheduled. Some ships will be switched to those ports, but there are numerous cruise lines in the same situation. I think they will at least explore the possibility of changing to eastern and southern islands that were not as badly affected.

We had a messenger on our myncl page for our November Escape cruise. Not an email though. Currently the updates have been confirmed until November but not through November.

I proactively started to look at excursions for a western itinerary and when I contacted one provider in Costa Maya she said that the escape would be in port on Nov 15......she see,ed to think it was confirmed. But again, I think it's just assumptions for now

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just got one too. We're on the Dec 30th Epic cruise

Yep. Us too for the Dec 30th Epic cruise. But completely understandable. Hoping we are still able to make Great Stirrup Cay since I haven't heard of any major damage to the Bahamas area (yet). We'll be happy with whatever as long as we are together on a cruise ship.

Everyone should do some research on their own. I'm not sure that very many people realize how badly the islands from St. Barth's north to the VI's were hit by Irma. St. Thomas, Tortola, and St. Maarten were devastated. Reports from the islands are talking about a period of months if not years to get them up and running again. Everything has to come from the mainlands. There are no raw materials on the islands, and it just takes time.

When you start talking about substituting ports you have to consider the distances involved. There are only a few islands that ships sailing a seven day cruise can reach unless you want 2.5 sea days each way. Some places that might work include Antigua, The Caymans, Jamaica, and St. Kitts or Nevis. Hopefully they will figure it out soon.

I am quite aware of all the damage suffered by the US and British Virgin Islands. Am also aware of the damage to St.Maarten and all other islands in the same area notwithstanding the further damage created by Maria. All I'm saying is, God spare all the Caribbean from further damage and let's wait for further announcements from NCL!

Yep. Us too for the Dec 30th Epic cruise. But completely understandable. Hoping we are still able to make Great Stirrup Cay since I haven't heard of any major damage to the Bahamas area (yet). We'll be happy with whatever as long as we are together on a cruise ship.

Same! I REALLY wanted to get to Jost Van Dyke, but I guess it'll have to wait. I'll just be happy to be on a cruise!

They need to secure ports and excursions before other cruise lines sweep in. Proactive will help the bottom line and they'll go back to the old stalwarts when they rebuild. They will also probably use their two islands to max capacity if need be. Big ship at dock and smaller one can tender if need be

Sent from my iPhone using Forums