Ideas Needed to Spend 3 days after docking in Civitavecchia

computerguy99

We dock in Civitavecchia on a Thursday morning and fly out of FCO on a Sunday morning. I'm looking for ideas where to spend the time without going to Rome or Florence. I can rent a car and drive. Possibilities are Tuscany area, Umbria area, possibly on the coast to Naples. Not very familiar with the options so looking for ideas. It would be in August and busy so I would want the night stops planned in advance with hotel bookings and with an early flight from FCO need to get back there with time to return the car so Saturday night can't be too far away.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Brian

Not sure if you're wanting to find a base to stay put or if you want to be "on the move"? Can you give more info?

Orvieto is a nice hilltop town not too far away that would make for a nice day and possibly an overnight. Nearby Civita di Bagnoregio is worth a visit too.

Since it is August, perhaps you want to consider finding a low-key place on the coast in Lazio and just chill out (although fair warning, this area is very popular in August with vacationing Italians). I stayed in Gaeta for several days, for example. Nice areas nearby for daytrips (Terracina, etc.)

With the amount of time you have, not sure it's worth going deep into Tuscany or Umbria.

Cruisemom42 suggestions are spot on. We did Orvieto as a day trip from Civi. Orvieto is wonderful, took the guided tour of the cances under the town and learned its historicl improtance. BTW, Orvieto white wine is very good.

With a car, drive to Orvieto and stay there and do a couple of day trips and return to coast on Sat. and stay near airport with a side trip to the Old Roman Port town , Ostia?

Enjoy this lovely part of Italy. but in August it will be hot.

Thanks for the suggestions Cruisemom42 and Azulann. Much appreciated. Looks like it boils down to 3 options:

1. Orvieta and Bagnoregio area.

2. Assissi; Spello and Montefalco/Bevagna

3. Gaeta and Sperlingo

I will research them and decide. Staying near FCO on Saturday would seem the obvious thing to do.

Did you have any issues renting a car at Civitavecchia?

Brian

I will research them and decide. Staying near FCO on Saturday would seem the obvious thing to do.

Did you have any issues renting a car at Civitavecchia?

Brian

There's a Europcar office about 100 yards from the Lago Della Pace shuttle stop. I'm dropping off a car there to catch our cruise. They don't charge a one way drop fee so I suggest you rent there and drop off at the airport.

It may be cheaper to buy a gps with European maps than to rent one for 3 days . I bought a used on Craigslist. You could play with it at home to familiarize yourself with it. Much less stressful than figuring how to use the car version in a unfamiliar car and language.:o (Been there)

Either that or do it the old fashioned way with a map but DW is not quick enough with the instructions 😀

There's a Europcar office about 100 yards from the Lago Della Pace shuttle stop. I'm dropping off a car there to catch our cruise. They don't charge a one way drop fee so I suggest you rent there and drop off at the airport.

It may be cheaper to buy a gps with European maps than to rent one for 3 days . I bought a used on Craigslist. You could play with it at home to familiarize yourself with it. Much less stressful than figuring how to use the car version in a unfamiliar car and language.:o (Been there)

Either that or do it the old fashioned way with a map but DW is not quick enough with the instructions [emoji3]

I purchased & downloaded a Europe database for my fairly old and unsophisticated Garmin. No need for rental or for acquisition of a new/used GPS.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I purchased & downloaded a Europe database for my fairly old and unsophisticated Garmin. No need for rental or for acquisition of a new/used GPS.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's the best option as you're already familiar with the device. I try to pre save as many of my planned stops as possible before I leave the country.

I will test my planning skills in 2 days 😀