Evening Casual

ModestlySublime

Hi,

I have not cruised since the evening casual dress became more prominent. My partner will probably wear long sleeved thick casual shirts and chinos but I was wondering what the ladies typically wear?

Its a November cruise to Norway so although I'm sure it wont be cold on board it still needs to be weather appropriate!

I've always found that the women dress up far more than the men. It's always seemed a bit incongruous to me to see the men, quite correctly dressed in chinos or dark (hopefully) smart jeans with an open neck shirt, short or long sleeves and then to see the women in strappy dresses with sparkly jewellery. Maybe it's just that women like dressing up more than men. This isn't a criticism of the men, as I said most of them abide by the dress code on a casual evening. I don't know that it makes much difference as to the outside weather, as the ship is always warm. So dress as smartly as you like on a casual evening, you won't be out of place.

On the casual nights I wear a nice dress or smart trousers with a nice top, basically something that I would wear out to a nice restaurant but would be too dressy for a trip to the pub. On the formal nights, like Florry, I have started to wear short cocktail dresses rather than long dresses.

Hi....we have just returned from a Fjords cruise. On casual evenings I wore dressy jeans or black trousers with a dressy top but nothing too glitzy...on formal evenings I wore black trousers with a glittery top but nothing "over the top". I noticed very few ladies wearing long dresses like they used to...some wore more cocktail style dresses and some ...like me...wore black trousers with a nice top. Men still wore dinner suits....about 90% I would say. It is four years since we cruised with P&O and I don't think people dress quite as formal as they used to do.

I think the number of people in formal long gowns, maybe depends on the ship and time of year. It appears the larger ships and summer holiday cruises are more 'informal'. We've found Aurora/Arcadia and Christmas cruises to have most ladies in long gowns. I've never felt out of place or unusual in my gowns.

Informal nights, I tend to wear a skirt and blouse, or black trousers and pretty top, or a cocktail dress, depending on whether it's a sea day, Christmas, or a special anniversary for us. I tend to make less effort on port evenings. However, a cruise is special for us, and I like to look smartish even if we go out for a meal at home. The MDR is a step up for us, so I like to make an effort.