Can someone reassure us about Caribbean Princess

bostonfred

we are booked on 14 night cruise in January on the Caribbean Princess. Most feedback I have read has been very negative. Particularly, plumbing issues and engine trouble. I usually take food complaints and condition of the ship with a grain of salt, but there is a consistent negative vibe. I know she is an older ship that has been refurbished. Does anyone have a different opinion...:cool:

We love the CB. She does have an ongoing engine issue, which limits her max speed and has resulted in some changes in port call times, etc. But you should not notice that at all.

She is getting to be an old lady, but generally we think maintenance is good and each time we have been onboard service has been outstanding, and depending upon who the executive chef is, food has been very good to excellent. We certainly did not experience any plumbing problems on the last cruise on her, but "plumbing problems" can arise on any ship when passengers decide to flush things that shouldn't be flushed.....so, we love her and think you will have a most enjoyable cruise.

I was on the CB last November and loved her. I am booked on her again in April 2018 and although I'm a bit peeved about my change of itinerary, I am looking forward to sailing on her again. No complaints about anything on board!

we are booked on 14 night cruise in January on the Caribbean Princess. Most feedback I have read has been very negative. Particularly, plumbing issues and engine trouble. I usually take food complaints and condition of the ship with a grain of salt, but there is a consistent negative vibe. I know she is an older ship that has been refurbished. Does anyone have a different opinion...:cool:

Just sailed on the CB in April. We loved it! Made me love cruising actually. I don’t get the negative reviews about her. I will be honest though, we don’t care for the food in the buffet at all. It could have been our timing, I don’t know. We loved loved loved all of the other food options and did not feel deprived a bit! We had club class dining and we looked forward to dinner every night. I hope you enjoy your trip!

Just got off the CB last Friday, Sept 22.

We had no plumbing issues in our cabin, nor in public area. Whatever engine trouble it has, it was not a factor in our British isles sailing. LeHavre port was cancelled due to report of possible port strike. It was replaced by St. Peter port at Guernsey, that was supposed to be our first port of call but was cancelled due to weather. We had a sea day instead. No engine trouble was noticeable.

Service by the crew was consistently excellent. In-cabin facilities and amenities acceptable. Food is subjective. I would defer to your own judgment on the food variety at the new Marketplace buffet and food venues.

Will we sail again on the CB? Definitely.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally, I would far, far prefer regal or royal. Carribean is too old for me.

Carribbean was the first attempt at super grand class.

It added all the additional people, with out adding any additional space.

Ruby / Emerald / Crown added some additional space.

Personally, I would far, far prefer regal or royal. Carribean is too old for me.

Carribbean was the first attempt at super grand class.

It added all the additional people, with out adding any additional space.

Ruby / Emerald / Crown added some additional space.

We have been on the Caribbean five times and we will be on her again in December. She is our favorite Princess ship. We were on the Royal in June and were not at all impressed with her - terrible layout, small lounge areas, etc. We kept saying how much we preferred the Caribbean.

We picked Caribbean last Nov for its itinerary. I had known it was an older ship before we sailed, so I adjusted my expectations accordingly.

That said, we didn't have any engine problems. While the ship wasn't as shiny and new as Regal and Royal, and had a few stains here and there, it wasn't too bad. If we hadn't sailed on Regal prior to Caribbean, I would have been happier with it, but I didn't expect the buffet to be 1/3 of the Regal's buffet size (with 1/3 of the offerings as well). The buffet size and offerings were truly a disapointment to us - we are majorly into food.

MDR food was great. It didn't have a gelato store and it didn't have anything for kids to do if the weather was rainy and they aren't into the kid's club. Nothing for active adults to do either, especially on a rainy day.

We loved the itinerary, though, and the ship wasn't too bad. Bring Lysol wipes and wipe down your room top to bottom. I used quite a few and they were black with dirt.

We sailed on the CB last month on a 12-day British isles cruise. We had a great time. There was an additional engine problem after we left Guernsey the first day. That--along with a delay of the tendering process in Guernsey--caused us to get to Cobh late. But the ship adjusted our itinerary so we still got the same number of hours (and our private excursion company did the same). The ship's propulsion problems weren't bad enough to make any other adjustments to our port times.

Just got off the CB last Friday, Sept 22.

We had no plumbing issues in our cabin, nor in public area. Whatever engine trouble it has, it was not a factor in our British isles sailing. LeHavre port was cancelled due to report of possible port strike. It was replaced by St. Peter port at Guernsey, that was supposed to be our first port of call but was cancelled due to weather. We had a sea day instead. No engine trouble was noticeable.

Service by the crew was consistently excellent. In-cabin facilities and amenities acceptable. Food is subjective. I would defer to your own judgment on the food variety at the new Marketplace buffet and food venues.

Will we sail again on the CB? Definitely.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for sharing good to know. Everything seems to be good.

Tony

We have been on the Caribbean five times and we will be on her again in December. She is our favorite Princess ship. We were on the Royal in June and were not at all impressed with her - terrible layout, small lounge areas, etc. We kept saying how much we preferred the Caribbean.

If I didn't like regal/royal, I would still prefer crown/ruby/emerald over caribbean.

Gelatto in international cafe.

New location for Sabatini's, and addition of adagio bar.

No ongoing engine problems.

Just sailed on the CB in April. * * *. I will be honest though, we don’t care for the food in the buffet at all. It could have been our timing, I don’t know. We loved loved loved all of the other food options . . .

We've sailed on the CB 3x starting in Apr 2016 for a total of 50+ days. We ate all our meals except a few dinners in the buffet, as is our usual practice on any ship. We found the food to be acceptable with a variety of choices at every meal. They also have several theme nights such as Bavarian Night throughout the cruise. Every nite there's a different kind of roast, sliced to order, from rib roast to pork roast. Also love the salad bar, available at both lunch and dinner. The Royal/Regal buffet experience is different (much larger ships, more options at every meal, etc., but I often found the "hot" food to be tepid at best).

Edited by BarbinMich

We were just on CB in early Sept. NO ISSUES realized at all compared to what we had read prior. Understand your concern completely as we had them too. Our only issue was the food was as mediocre as written about... service was impeccable, shows super, etc. but the food...not so much. We didn't miss any meals though :) They really are years behind on dealing with food allergies compared to what we experienced on Royal Caribbean...but I suspect someone would have the exact comment in the opposite direction on a different ship :) Enjoy the CB! We did even after reading all the bad press.

We went Round Britain on the CB and enjoyed the ship. However we then did part of the "Round the World" cruise on the Sea Princess and found that the crew, in general with 1 major exception, far better on the Sea P.

We were NOT impressed with the Anytime Dining on the CB nor, on both ships, with the need for wait staff to act as wine waiters.

• 2 weeks later...
Just sailed on the CB in April. We loved it! Made me love cruising actually. I don’t get the negative reviews about her. I will be honest though, we don’t care for the food in the buffet at all. It could have been our timing, I don’t know. We loved loved loved all of the other food options and did not feel deprived a bit! We had club class dining and we looked forward to dinner every night. I hope you enjoy your trip!

We will be on the CB this coming Sat., wondering or should say hoping they have gone back to offering BOGO & the Elite lounge happy hr. drink menu.

We're on the ta now, and we've been on board since September 10. I'm sorry to have to say this, but we've had nothing but problems. Our toilet takes up to an hour to flush, the water in the shower goes from freezing cold to boiling hot in the blink of an eye, and the room since we've been in the warmer climate is very warm. This is our eighth transatlantic, and we sailed in much rougher sees especially in the North Atlantic. This has been the roughest and most uncomfortable crossing we've ever had. The ship is rocking and rolling a lot and I'm just not sure it has the capacity at this point to handle even the slight seas we've had.

Well this is our 24th cruise with princess in the last 10 years it is our first time on the Caribbean, and we won't be selling her again. There has been a marked change for the worse in most services since our last cruise which was on the Star just this past March.

We're on the ta now, and we've been on board since September 10. I'm sorry to have to say this, but we've had nothing but problems. Our toilet takes up to an hour to flush, the water in the shower goes from freezing cold to boiling hot in the blink of an eye, and the room since we've been in the warmer climate is very warm. This is our eighth transatlantic, and we sailed in much rougher sees especially in the North Atlantic. This has been the roughest and most uncomfortable crossing we've ever had. The ship is rocking and rolling a lot and I'm just not sure it has the capacity at this point to handle even the slight seas we've had.

Well this is our 24th cruise with princess in the last 10 years it is our first time on the Caribbean, and we won't be selling her again. There has been a marked change for the worse in most services since our last cruise which was on the Star just this past March.

Which cabin are you in please? We are on the Caribbean on Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are on the same cruise and have not have any of these problems. Yes, this ship may be a bit older compared to the Royal, etc., but she seems to be sea-worthy. The sea has created some of the movement, but if you are on a ship in the Atlantic at any time of year, you may be subject to uncomfortable movement. In our case, the cruise staff has been very accommodating. We know there were some concerns early on about the ability for the ship to "make it across the Atlantic". I think those fears have been set to rest. We made it to Bermuda this morning.

We got off the Caribbean on 9/22. Had a minor temperature problem in our room that could not be corrected (we had a choice between too cold or too warm, but nothing impossible). Otherwise we encountered no problems.

And we thought the crew were uniformly spectacular.

We were on the Caribbean from Sept 10 for the UK and for the Transatlantic arriving in Fort Lauderdale on Oct 7th.

We too had either scalding hot or freezing cold water in the shower until repairman fixed it. But one issue was the A/C that was never fixed. We slept 2nights with our balcony door propped open so we could at least have the breeze. Repairman came 3 times but never fixed it. I slept on the sofa several nights to be near the little cooler air that was possible.

We are Elite passengers and have always loved Princess but we will never sail on the Caribbean again.