Have You Shipped Purchases Home?

My DW and I will be on a cruise to Scandinavia and the Balkans, including St. Petersburg, Russia in July.

My DW wants to take the opportunity to buy Christmas presents while there. The issue, of course, is getting the presents we buy home.

A few questions:

1. Will stores in Scandinavia, Balkans or Russia, ship purchases back to the US for us?

2. For those of you who have shipped purchases home, or thought about it, what was your experience?

3. Do you have any suggstions or advice?

Thanks.

My DW and I will be on a cruise to Scandinavia and the Balkans, including St. Petersburg, Russia in July.

My DW wants to take the opportunity to buy Christmas presents while there. The issue, of course, is getting the presents we buy home.

A few questions:

1. Will stores in Scandinavia, Balkans or Russia, ship purchases back to the US for us?

2. For those of you who have shipped purchases home, or thought about it, what was your experience?

3. Do you have any suggstions or advice?

Thanks.

In Helsinki and Copenhagen, there are major department stores where you could confidently ask them to ship purchases home. There's a "however."

While the stores primarily carry local brands, there's plenty of Tommy Hilfiger, Polo, and Calvin Klein on the racks, too. Those brands are not hypothetical examples. If you go to the Magasin du Nord web site and hold your cursor over "Dame" a list of popular brands appears. You'll see plenty of unfamiliar brands alongside brands you'll find in your local mall. Still, if the standard is safe shipping, you can shop there with confidence.

You can also shop and ship from the flagship store of famous Scandinavian brands. There's a flagship store for Marimekko and for Ittala on the Esplanade in Helsinki and the flagship store for Georg Jensen/Royal Copenhagen on one of the pedestrianized shopping streets.

I realize these suggestions are very high end places, but some of the items at these places may be within your budget. I think I even saw a display of Royal Copenhagen seconds tucked somewhere in the corner when we visited the Georg Jensen store last summer.

When I shop abroad, the things I'm most attracted to are often found in small stores or at crafts markets. I would not expect those places to be able to ship my merchandise home. So I shop for small packable things and I shop for immediate family members only.

If you'll be staying at a hotel post-cruise, the business center of your hotel will likely be able to help you. The two times we've had to ship packages home -- a land trip to Turkey and another to China -- we've found DHL is the most popular shipping company.

Helsinki: Stockmann Department Store (Aleksanterinkatu 52)

Copenhagen: Magasin du Nord (Kongens Nytorv 13)

Gerug Jensen/Royal Copenhagen (Amagertorv 4)

NK in Stockholm will also arrange shipping to your home address

SHIPPING

No matter where you live, we can arrange to have your purchases sent to your home. If you live outside of the European Union, you can save money by deducting

the sales tax that is included in the price of the article(s) you purchase. Visit the Servicecenter on the lower ground floor for more information.

https://www.nk.se/stockholm/in-english/service-at-nk/

Edited by Desdichado62

The great thing about European post offices are that they have a complete parcel kit you can purchase (box, packing material and tape) and you can box your stuff up and mail it home yourself. Once in England my Mom & I purchased a bunch of stuff (I dont know why I had to absolutely have a hand turned wooden burl bowl from the gift shop of one of the National Trust properties) Anyways, it was very easy to do and you can always ask at the place you purchase something if they will pack it well as it has to travel a long way.