Schwerin

We-R-Off

We are cruising with Celebrity & I notice that it is listed that our port in Germany will be Rostock. Can we get to Schwerin easily from there? If so, how. We prefer to do tours independently or will we have to take an organized tour?

Thanks

We did Schwerin & Rostock (didn't go to Wismar) on our own by train in 2014. Easy and enjoyable. The trains in Germany are easy to use. Travelanni gives great info and help.

See earlier thread on this, including my comments on our day trip:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2103092

We did Schwerin & Rostock (didn't go to Wismar) on our own by train in 2014. Easy and enjoyable. The trains in Germany are easy to use. Travelanni gives great info and help.

See earlier thread on this, including my comments on our day trip:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2103092

thanks kiwi, enjoyed reading. By the way our HAL cruise is docking in Rostock not Waremunde. If we did Schwerin and Rostock should we also be visiting Waremunde? It looks like a cute seaside resort but it it worthwhile visiting if you are docked in Rostock?

No, you wouldn't be doing Warnemunde if you are docked in Rostock and going to Schwerin. For us, Warnemunde would not be worth a trip. Yes, it is a pleasant seaside town and we enjoyed our wander there, but the history and architecture in places like Schwerin and Rostock is more of interest for us.

Depends what your interests are of course.

No, you wouldn't be doing Warnemunde if you are docked in Rostock and going to Schwerin. For us, Warnemunde would not be worth a trip. Yes, it is a pleasant seaside town and we enjoyed our wander there, but the history and architecture in places like Schwerin and Rostock is more of interest for us.

Thanks roaming , that is what I was thinking but the tourist info and others said we should visit. In follow up email she did suggest there is so much to do in Rostock we should probably focus more attention there.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. As we are docking in Rostock we plan to split our time between Schwerin & Rostock. How much time do you think we should allocate to Schwerin, so that we can book our train tickets. BTW our ship sails late so we don't have to be under pressure. Do you know if Germany have senior concessions either for trains or museums?

Thanks for the information. As we are docking in Rostock we plan to split our time between Schwerin & Rostock. How much time do you think we should allocate to Schwerin, so that we can book our train tickets. BTW our ship sails late so we don't have to be under pressure. Do you know if Germany have senior concessions either for trains or museums?

Hi, you cannot book on the train between Rostock and Schwerin. The Mecklenburg Lander day ticket can be bought in advance but it is not for any specific train. Please see the relevant page on my web site for validity details, prices and how to purchase on-line. This is the most economical option.

Some museums do have Senior concessions but none that I can think of in either Schwerin or Rostock. The prices in most are quite moderate, the Castle entry is 6euro and the Rostock Town Museum has free entry. Most churches just ask for a donation.

Happy cruising :(

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi We-R-Off

As Travelanni has explained you don't need to prebook your train. We used the Mecklenburg Lander day ticket that she talks about. Bought it online before we left home and it was very convenient.

At Schwerin Castle, if you want to take photos inside there is a 3 Euro camera fee, as well as the 6 Euro admission per person.

On my September 2014 thread I outlined what we did in Schwerin. We are not big on museums, so you could easily spend more time in Schwerin than we did. Rostock too, we did not go in any museums, just wandered the streets enjoying the architecture and atmosphere. We did walk a total of about 20 kms that day, in the three towns of Schwerin, Rostock and Warnemunde. Left the ship about 7.30am and got back about 6pm.

Enjoy!

Do you need to pre purchase the rail pass? Presumably you can buy it at the station?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

You do not need to pre-purchase. You can buy at the ticket office or from a machine but pre-purchase just saves time and hassle. There are often long queues when everyone is getting off the ships at the same time and sitting at your own computer figuring out the system out is probably less stressful than standing on the station with a queue breathing down your neck or trying to find the ticket office on an unfamiliar station.

Anni

I am thinking of having a trip on the Mollie train when our cruise docks at Warnemunde but will need to know the best way to get from the dock to Bad Doberan and how the travel (train or bus) system works. Can some people provide a detailed explanation?

I am thinking of having a trip on the Mollie train when our cruise docks at Warnemunde but will need to know the best way to get from the dock to Bad Doberan and how the travel (train or bus) system works. Can some people provide a detailed explanation?

Have a look at this thread, it goes into a lot of detail

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2072653&highlight=molli+train

ALSO have a look at Anni's website for more up to date information on Bad Doberan http://travelanni.webs.com/baddoberan.htm

Hi We-R-Off

As Travelanni has explained you don't need to prebook your train. We used the Mecklenburg Lander day ticket that she talks about. Bought it online before we left home and it was very convenient.

At Schwerin Castle, if you want to take photos inside there is a 3 Euro camera fee, as well as the 6 Euro admission per person.

On my September 2014 thread I outlined what we did in Schwerin. We are not big on museums, so you could easily spend more time in Schwerin than we did. Rostock too, we did not go in any museums, just wandered the streets enjoying the architecture and atmosphere. We did walk a total of about 20 kms that day, in the three towns of Schwerin, Rostock and Warnemunde. Left the ship about 7.30am and got back about 6pm.

Enjoy!

Thanks Kiwi.

We don't sail until close to midnight so we can actually manage the 3 towns. Although we do like Museums we don't want to get overdosed either. I did fancy seeing Warnemünde but didn't think we had time. How do you suggest we plan our day to see the 3?

Perhaps we should go to Schwerin first, Rostock & time permitting Warnemünde, weather permitting. What do you think?

Just for those docked in Rostock, don't forget Rostock port is very far from the railway station (about 13 kms), with only one bus operating every 60mn, last trip at 7p.m. I keep my fingers crossed for a shuttle!

Just for those docked in Rostock, don't forget Rostock port is very far from the railway station (about 13 kms), with only one bus operating every 60mn, last trip at 7p.m. I keep my fingers crossed for a shuttle!

Thanks. Are taxis expensive if we miss the last bus?

Thanks. Are taxis expensive if we miss the last bus?

Using taxi-calculator.com, between Rostock hbf (train station) and Seehafen (port) they give a price of about 27-28 euros. Being also docked in Rostock, I hope the ship will provide a shuttle! The regular bus takes 45 mn between port and station.

I certainly agree that it is logical to do Schwerin first, being the furthest away, and the most interesting. I would certainly leave Warnemunde to last. In my opinion it is the least interesting of the 3, and therefore less missed if you run out of time.

I have added a new page to the web site especially for those cruisers docking in the Overseas Port in Rostock giving all the alternative transport, timetables etc. Also some extra info on the home page and an update of all train times and fares.

Happy cruising :(

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com