Cemetery Beach

mominva

We just returned from our cruise which stopped at Grand Cayman on July 9, 2015. This was our third visit to GC and I wanted to try the bus system and check out Cemetery Beach.

You come out of the port and turn left. At the first intersection, you turn right on Fort Street. There is a Tortuga liquor store in this intersection where you can buy cold sodas (probably water also) to take to the beach. Walk 2 blocks down Fort Street and you will see the public library. Next door is the bus depot with buses waiting to take off. Ask to go to Cemetery Beach. The buses are vans with a colored circle (yellow or lime green with WB for West Bay) on front. It is so easy. Someone just walked up to me and asked where I wanted to go.

It was US$2.50 per person.

At Cemetery Beach, there were 2 picnic tables and plenty of shade. I counted the number of people and there were less than 30. This is with 3 cruise ships in port. My kids brought their snorkeling masks and fins and went way out where others were snorkeling. They had their underwater camera and got lots of great pictures. My daughter saw a squid and lots of fish.

Make sure to bring lots of water and drinks. You won't want to leave. It is so pretty.

The shore has lots of flat sand colored rocks that you have to walk on to get into the water. I needed my water shoes and didn't have them!!

To catch the bus back to the depot, you cross the street and there is a bus shelter where you can sit and wait. Shortly after we got there, the bus came along. You ride it all the way to the depot (which is the end of the line; no need to worry about when to get off) and walk back to the boat. Super easy. You pay when you get off the bus.

We did the exact same thing on our first visit to GC. Public transportation is a neat, cheap way to travel. We were not too impressed with the snorkeling, but we are spoiled. Eden Rock was better in our opinion.

We also took public transportation (called collectivos) in Mexico. I wish it was available in more places.

The bus (really a van), will drop you wherever you want to stop.

The pathway to the beach is sandy but is wide enough for a wheelchair. The path is probably 200-300 feet long running the lenght of the cemetery.

Very helpful post...thank you! We are planning to go there in September. If we decide to spend the rest of the day at the public beach, do we just take another bus and tell the driver to stop there?

Cemetery Beach is farther than public beach. So, catch a bus that is going back toward the ship (cross the street and wait at the bus stop). Tell the bus driver that you want the public beach. It won't be far. Maybe 5-7 minutes. Just make sure to ask if it goes to public beach before you get in. Good luck.

Would this beach be difficult to get to with a wheelchair? Our son can walk, just not far. Is the actual pathway from where the bus drops you off out to the picnic tables real sandy?

I think the path is narrow and very sandy, the type that even walking in flip flops is challenging. But, it is too hot to take the flip flops off.

But, it might be worth a try. The public beach, as I remember, is also sandy.

If your son is in a wheelchair, I'd recommend one of the more established spots like Tiki Beach or Royal Palms, as they have paved sidewalks and seating areas in addition to the beach.

• 3 months later...
We just returned from our cruise which stopped at Grand Cayman on July 9, 2015. This was our third visit to GC and I wanted to try the bus system and check out Cemetery Beach.

You come out of the port and turn left. At the first intersection, you turn right on Fort Street. There is a Tortuga liquor store in this intersection where you can buy cold sodas (probably water also) to take to the beach. Walk 2 blocks down Fort Street and you will see the public library. Next door is the bus depot with buses waiting to take off. Ask to go to Cemetery Beach. The buses are vans with a colored circle (yellow or lime green with WB for West Bay) on front. It is so easy. Someone just walked up to me and asked where I wanted to go.

It was US$2.50 per person.

At Cemetery Beach, there were 2 picnic tables and plenty of shade. I counted the number of people and there were less than 30. This is with 3 cruise ships in port. My kids brought their snorkeling masks and fins and went way out where others were snorkeling. They had their underwater camera and got lots of great pictures. My daughter saw a squid and lots of fish.

Make sure to bring lots of water and drinks. You won't want to leave. It is so pretty.

The shore has lots of flat sand colored rocks that you have to walk on to get into the water. I needed my water shoes and didn't have them!!

To catch the bus back to the depot, you cross the street and there is a bus shelter where you can sit and wait. Shortly after we got there, the bus came along. You ride it all the way to the depot (which is the end of the line; no need to worry about when to get off) and walk back to the boat. Super easy. You pay when you get off the bus.

Thanks for your info.

Are there any facilities at Cemetery Beach (bathrooms/changes rooms, etc)?