Snorkel Excursion Recommendations

bolineclan

We used Upachaya 3 years ago and it was the best snorkel excursion ever. They only take 10 so it is not the cattle call, getting a fin in your face like a lot of excursions. The crew is very helpful. Bringing stuff up for you to see like a sea cucumber and star fish. The food was fantastic and the owner is so nice and eager to share her story about coming to Roatan. We are going back next week and I can't wait. Very quick response and answered all my questions.

Just returned from our cruise that took us to Roatan again and opted for Tabyana Beach and brought my own gear. $39.99 through the ship and pay as you go for food and drink for some really amazing snorkeling. Not a guided tour though. there were a couple of locals in kayaks that would help you into the right direction for the best areas. It was everything i hoped it would be. Calm waters and beautiful reefs and sealife. :)

Just returned from our cruise that took us to Roatan again and opted for Tabyana Beach and brought my own gear. $39.99 through the ship and pay as you go for food and drink for some really amazing snorkeling. Not a guided tour though. there were a couple of locals in kayaks that would help you into the right direction for the best areas. It was everything i hoped it would be. Calm waters and beautiful reefs and sealife. :)

Can you tell me how many ships were in port and how crowded was the beach and snorkeling?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you are looking for something to do in port, I highly recommend Alex and Javi at Roaton Eco Tours. I was the absolutely, hands down best part of our entire cruise! Check out his website, Trip Advisor and book early (he takes about 20 people and that's it). He picks you up at the port and takes you to his boat then out to two AMAZING (word doesn't do it justice) places to snorkel and then to West Bay beach for a little while and then back to the port. We had plenty of soda, water, fresh fruit (pineapple was delicious) and a little adult beverages after we were finished snorkeling!

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned yesterday from a cruise on the Navigator of the Seas. I am an avid snorkeler & bring my own gear as I prefer to go in excursions where I won't be forced to wear a floatation device while snorkeling close to shore. The Las Palmas Beach Express excursion touted two shipwrecks at Pirate Bay, but when I went last Thursday, I never saw them nor the reef our excursion guide spoke about. The water was extremely shallow, even several yards from shore & had only a lot of plants that I kept hitting with my hands while swimming.

It may have been deeper farther out, but as an experienced snorkeler, I don't go more than 20-30 yards from shore unless there's a lifeguard or a guide to help if I run into trouble - this excursion had neither.

Tonight I noticed that the excursion I took is no longer listed as an option on Royal Caribbean's website, most likely because a fellow passenger drowned on this excursion the same day I was there. If it shows up again, it isn't good for anyone interested in snorkeling.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that's terrible to hear about the passenger drowning at Las Palmas. Sorry to hear you had such a poor experience. When I was in Roatan a few years ago, I took a taxi to West End near Tabyana Beach (didn't pay to go to the resort) and had great snorkeling within a short distance from the shore. I would definitely recommend that.

Wow, that's terrible to hear about the passenger drowning at Las Palmas. Sorry to hear you had such a poor experience. When I was in Roatan a few years ago, I took a taxi to West End near Tabyana Beach (didn't pay to go to the resort) and had great snorkeling within a short distance from the shore. I would definitely recommend that.

Thanks. Will keep that in mind next time.

Check out Roatan Ocean Adventure Tripadvisor reviews. 212 Excellent, 8 Very Good. Herbert Woods is a wonderful young man. His company will do whatever you want. We have used him 3 times. Tell him Joe and Vicki from Illinois said Hi. You can't go wrong!