Trip Insurance Question

luv2travel2gether

I've always gotten my travel insurance through insuremytrip.com. Have used different companies, but I think the prices are reasonable. For my world cruise in 2019, I bought a policy from them - the insurance company is Berkshire Hathaway. There were only 6 companies that offered a policy for the length (and price) of this cruise.

This year I'm taking 3 cruises so I got an annual policy from SquareMouth, with the company being RoamRight. It was very fairly priced. Much cheaper than getting a policy for each of the 3 cruises separately.

As Lynn mentioned earlier there is a insurance forum in cruise critic -- so check that out.

Some things I have learned and been warned of:

1) Beware of Travelguard policies and their Pre-Existing conditions. You must make sure that your entire cruise, air fare and any other none refundables are included in the policy limits. Failure to do so will invalidate the clause.

2) Policy costs are gated by age. So if you are older (in 80's) a cruise line policy may be your best policy assuming it meets your needs as far as coverage.

3) Make sure you purchase a policy that is the first payer. Makes life easier should you need to collect on medical.

4) Evacuation policies/clauses can vary. Certainly depending on your cruise locations a evacuation to your choice may be better than to a hospital on the island of Comoros (to use an example).

5) Regarding your existing insurance -- some plans (in my case UHC and Blue Cross) do include international travel

6) Travel insurance is non refundable after the initial legal cool off period -- so if you cancel you can lose your payment. Many companies will allow a one time free credit for another trip. Some policies like CSA can be purchased at final payment at you still get the pre-existing coverage waiver.

7) Some of the internet sites that sell insurance provide great choices but little service. You can check the insurance forum for these

8) Don't skimp on limits -- it cost very little extra to go from a 25,000 medical to a 50,000 medical policy and same for a 50,000 evac to a 250,000 evac (as examples)

I live in SoCal and have been buying an annual policy from Allianz for $254 per person for many years..and have collected on it several times..not sure where you heard that..

Jancruz1

Is that for travel only, medical only or comprehensive? And what would be the aggregate annual claim limits?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have medical insurance with AMA( Alberta motor association). We are planning to get trip cancellation insurance with Allianz. They insure for up to $20,000.

We will call them tomorrow to inquire.

I talked to them about cancellation coverage. The first quote was high. When I queried it saying what I found through their website she gave me a different lower quote by treating us as two, not a couple. And we don't need to buy yet. We aren't locked in for another six months or so.