What is the best optional shore excursion from Marseille?

zumbarho

Going on the Marina in May.Trying to decide which are the best optional shore excursions to do through the ship while docked in Marseille. Have never been there.

Have heard various opinions. The choices are the following:

1-Marseille Highlights and Cassis (2)Aix-En-Provence (3)Avignon or

(4)Aix-En-Provence and Marseille.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

If you don't want to spend time in Marseille itself, I'd vote for Avignon or Aix-en-Provence. I would NOT try to combine Marseille with Aix. You will have plenty to see in Aix alone, especially with the travel time. Likewise for Avignon.

Both are wonderful ...

Mura

The day of the week is often important, not just in Aix.

People who like museum-going often find Mondays a problem!

Sometimes small towns will have shops, etc., that stay open on a weekend when they normally would be closed if a ship is in port. Not many ships are in port in Aix, unfortunately ...

Mura

There are also loads of taxis offering tours on the dockside.

However Marseille itself is very interesting to DIY, coach shuttle drops you next to the old port and there is just a few steps away a tourist toy town train that goes up the hillside to a beautiful Basilica with great views.

Down in the town lots of great seafood restaurants all round the old port, a free

Museum of the old Roman port with the amphora used to store oil etc still in place, a cathedral and yet another museum, and lots of shops in converted warehouses.

There are also loads of taxis offering tours on the dockside.

However Marseille itself is very interesting to DIY, coach shuttle drops you next to the old port and there is just a few steps away a tourist toy town train that goes up the hillside to a beautiful Basilica with great views.

Down in the town lots of great seafood restaurants all round the old port, a free

Museum of the old Roman port with the amphora used to store oil etc still in place, a cathedral and yet another museum, and lots of shops in converted warehouses.

When were you last in Marseille on Oceania? My last experience, within the past year and half or so is that they dock in a very industrial area in the middle of nowhere. They do not let the independent guides in the gated area, you have to walk about a 1/2 mile or so to a lot where they let them park. I really don't remember any taxis or people offering to take you on a tour there. There were a few shops with people selling goods.

When were you last in Marseille on Oceania? My last experience, within the past year and half or so is that they dock in a very industrial area in the middle of nowhere. They do not let the independent guides in the gated area, you have to walk about a 1/2 mile or so to a lot where they let them park. I really don't remember any taxis or people offering to take you on a tour there. There were a few shops with people selling goods.

We caught a taxi last year out of the large port (where most cruise ships dock). If I recall correctly, the people who want taxis take the ship shuttle that goes into downtown Marseille and they drop you at the gate where the taxi's are, before heading into town.

We used the taxi to get to the Marseille public bus station and took a bus to Aix. Easy Peasy DIY, if OP wants to save a limited number of O life excursions for more difficult ports. We were in Aix on a Saturday, which is market day....which enhanced the visit.

We were there in April 2016 from 10:30 to 8:00 pm. We booked a private guide and saw a lot. Here is the agenda for the day.

http://www.provence-connection-tours.com

10:45am Oceania Sirena, Aix-en-Provence, Cassis and Marseille.

Please try to meet your driver slightly before the starting of the tour, he will be at the exit of your ship with a signboard.

- Arrive to Aix-en-Provence, city of Cezanne.

- Take a walk in Cours Mirabeau, the richest Provence Avenue where you will be charmed by the Provencal market, the fountains, the private hotels, the small cafés and old churches

- Free time to the village of Cassis to discover where the Provence most famous characters used to spend their time and recreation

- On request get the famous cliff named Cap Canaille and according to the wheather conditions, let your driver show you the "Crested Road", one of the nicest roads in the world located 400 meters above the sea level offering astonishing views in the Mediterranean

-Arrive at the Jardin des Vestiges, surprising entrance of the Old Massalia then go to discover the gorgeous Palais Longchamps, incredible water tower of Marseille

- Cross the Old Port & the Corniche to admire the unusual and unique Vallon des Auffes, real small fisherman village surrounded by busy center of Marseilles

- Arrive to the Notre Dame de la Garde Basilica dominating the Provence Capital; free time to discover, by the breath-taking views this 360° spot offers, how rich the complexity of Marseille is

My wife and I were just talking about this last night. We did the Google Search of Rick Steves videos like we do with any country we visit just to try to decide. Doesn't look like there is a wrong excursion in Marseille. Leaning towards Avignon. Now I need to figure out which one to take in Malta and Sicily.

My wife and I were just talking about this last night. We did the Google Search of Rick Steves videos like we do with any country we visit just to try to decide. Doesn't look like there is a wrong excursion in Marseille. Leaning towards Avignon. Now I need to figure out which one to take in Malta and Sicily.

We used this tour company in Malta and she was great.

Tour Name: Valletta, Marsaxlokk Village, Hagar Qim Temples & Mdina

Duration: 7 to 8 hours

maltatourguide.com

In Provence we love both Aix and Avignon. If this were my first time, though, I think I'd opt for Avignon. We stayed there for about 3 days quite a while ago but one day was devoted to the Palais des Papes, a museum right across the plaza and of course a walk across the famous Pont.

We did this on our own but guides often can maximize your time! At least they know where they are going ... which we often didn't, but in a place the size of old Avignon it didn't much matter. We also had a wonderful dinner there one night but on a day trip from Marseille I doubt you'd have time for that!

I do have to say that places like Arles, Avignon and even Aix are arguments for a river boat tour. You do dock in Arles and Avignon on a river boat tour, and in our case we spent a couple of days in Aix prior to the cruise.

Because I studied orchestration with Darius Milhaud at Mills College, and he was from Aix, we stayed at his home which his now a hotel very close to the main plaza. Our group of 16 all loved this place ...

But that's for another trip!

Mura

I would say yes BUT ... check the timing.

We were in Arles on a Viking river boat cruise and had a morning walking tour in Arles, then an afternoon tour to Les Baux and St. Remy. Well worth it in my view! We especially liked the visit to St. Remy.

Mura

Mura has already posted some excellent advice which I would confirm. We have been to Provence several times and there is no way to go wrong; whether you like nature, art, or historical ruins it's all there. My personal favorite is Les Baux, a cliff top village with a fascinating history. In addition the surrounding country side is spectacular. Second choice would be the Luberon, a collection of wonderful hill towns, such as Roussilon or Opedre.

Each is unique and while not off the beaten path definitely not as crowded as Aix or St. Remy.

My only caution would be if you are driving; be Careful and leave time for traffic.

Mura has already posted some excellent advice which I would confirm. We have been to Provence several times and there is no way to go wrong; whether you like nature, art, or historical ruins it's all there. My personal favorite is Les Baux, a cliff top village with a fascinating history. In addition the surrounding country side is spectacular. Second choice would be the Luberon, a collection of wonderful hill towns, such as Roussilon or Opedre.

Each is unique and while not off the beaten path definitely not as crowded as Aix or St. Remy.

My only caution would be if you are driving; be Careful and leave time for traffic.

I've also been to both of those area and agree with you. I enjoyed Les Baux so much I went twice.

I wasn't that wowed by Aix, but maybe we went to the wrong place. I loved the Luberon area.