Trip Insurance Question

luv2travel2gether

Our standard rule is to NEVER buy insurance from the tour agency, whether it's a cruiseline or a land trip.

http://www.insuremytrip.com is a good source for information. You fill in your ages, dates of the trip, where you are going (if a cruise I just put in the embarkation port because you don't have an option to give more info), etc. We typically put in the deposit amount when booking the insurance, NOT the full price of the trip. When you are sure you are taking the trip, then you can change the total price for insurance purposes.

Also ... book the insurance within 14 days of paying the deposit (usually) in order to get pre-existing condition coverage, if that is a concern. About a year and a half ago we had to cancel at the last minute because my husband needed eye surgery, and it WAS a pre-existing condition. We got our total cost back since we'd booked the insurance in time.

Insuremytrip also lets you compare various policies so you can see what the features and cost are.

Mura

P.S. to Canadian Cruiser. Insurance rates go up as you get older so that $1500 would be welcome to us now ... We're paying much more than that for the May 2018 cruise we just booked, but we're in a suite. The insurance cost varies with the cost of the trip PLUS the passengers' ages. Fifteen years ago I think we paid about half what we're paying now.

That's an advantage of a site like insuremytrip -- you can compare costs between insurance companies and really see what coverage you are getting (not to mention the rating of the insurance company).

It depends on what type of policy works for you & your needs

There is a forum on CC that deals with insurance questions etc

We buy trip cancellation/interuption ins we have out of Country medical through DH retirement plan but you should check what you may or may not be covered for

We have had to use the insurance before so we do not leave home without it

as mentioned " insuremytrip" can give you different quotes

but read the fine print & know what you are covered for no matter where you buy it from

Edited by LHT28

Thank you for asking this, I would also like to know.

My TA is offering insurance which comes in at about 10% of the cruise cost. This seems very expensive. It would be $1500 per couple.

AAA is the same.

be careful in what company you deal with

US insurance companies do not insure Canadians

We use RSA

it is not cheap when you are over 65

Although it is not inexpensive if you travel several times a year you can buy a policy that is annual. They do base their policies on your age and what you want covered. If you are only covering one trip then it goes by the amount you are covering that particular trip for, so remember if airline tickets are refundable you do not have to include that in the cost. Insuremytrip.com offers an 800 phone number and you can speak to somebody that will help you out with the quotes and answer all your questions. They can be extremely helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our standard rule is to NEVER buy insurance from the tour agency, whether it's a cruiseline or a land trip.

http://www.insuremytrip.com is a good source for information. You fill in your ages, dates of the trip, where you are going (if a cruise I just put in the embarkation port because you don't have an option to give more info), etc. We typically put in the deposit amount when booking the insurance, NOT the full price of the trip. When you are sure you are taking the trip, then you can change the total price for insurance purposes.

Also ... book the insurance within 14 days of paying the deposit (usually) in order to get pre-existing condition coverage, if that is a concern. About a year and a half ago we had to cancel at the last minute because my husband needed eye surgery, and it WAS a pre-existing condition. We got our total cost back since we'd booked the insurance in time.

Insuremytrip also lets you compare various policies so you can see what the features and cost are.

Mura

P.S. to Canadian Cruiser. Insurance rates go up as you get older so that $1500 would be welcome to us now ... We're paying much more than that for the May 2018 cruise we just booked, but we're in a suite. The insurance cost varies with the cost of the trip PLUS the passengers' ages. Fifteen years ago I think we paid about half what we're paying now.

That's an advantage of a site like insuremytrip -- you can compare costs between insurance companies and really see what coverage you are getting (not to mention the rating of the insurance company).

The only problem with brokers like "insuremytrip" is that their version of a particular company's policy may have some idiosyncratic coverage limits. IMO, use the broker sites to compare policies but purchase direct from the insurer you choose in order to get the best coverage terms.

BTW, a good basis for comparison of benefits is Travelex Select Traveler. See how other carriers compare in coverage, price, etc.

The only problem with brokers like "insuremytrip" is that their version of a particular company's policy may have some idiosyncratic coverage limits. IMO, use the broker sites to compare policies but purchase direct from the insurer you choose in order to get the best coverage terms.

BTW, a good basis for comparison of benefits is Travelex Select Traveler. See how other carriers compare in coverage, price, etc.

Surely, that cannot be the only problem with them...

TPFIC

Our "standard rule" is to evaluate the coverage for what it is and isn't. There are particular elements we feel we must have; others not so much. We purchase our insurance from the vendor which gives us what we feel is the best coverage, regardless.

Recently we starting purchasing trip insurance, including medical and cancellation coverage. Because otherwise cost, I asked our TA if there were any other options. We were advised that you can purchase just the medical portion with Allianz Global.

The cost for just medical portion was considerably lower.

The coverage also includes medical emergency

evacuation which be substantial depending on where you are.

We have had several medical expenses on board, and were reimbursed by the Allianz for 100%of the expenses.

What kind of trip insurance do people purchase? Do they buy it through Oceania or Travel Guard or another vendor?

Please let me know where and why

thanks!

Its a huge profit center for the agent and he gets a nice piece of the action...

Now, many of us charge and pay for our cruise with credit cards which include $10,000 in travel insurance and have medical insurance through a company that has world wide coverage ( Kaiser HMO) Hence, we get covered just by using the card... Chase/Marriott Chase / UAL are 2 cards I have used . Never ever use cash or check.... your throwing your money away

Its a huge profit center for the agent and he gets a nice piece of the action...

Now, many of us charge and pay for our cruise with credit cards which include $10,000 in travel insurance and have medical insurance through a company that has world wide coverage ( Kaiser HMO) Hence, we get covered just by using the card... Chase/Marriott Chase / UAL are 2 cards I have used . Never ever use cash or check.... your throwing your money away

Some good and bad news:

By splitting the cruise related expenses on two credit card accounts from the same bank (e.g., "his and hers" United Explorer Visa from Chase), the effective coverage is doubled to $20k. However, if the trip delay/cancel is due to a preexisting medical issue (yes the card uses a "look back period" from purchase dates), recognize that there are no PEC waivers for the credit card coverage.

One caveat:

Make certain that you have a minimum of 100K medical evacuation plus medical

expenses. Social Security has a lifetime benefit of 50K for international medical.

20 years ago it cost 50K to bring a Lear jet to Colombia for transport to our hospital

in the USA.

One caveat:

Make certain that you have a minimum of 100K medical evacuation plus medical

expenses. Social Security has a lifetime benefit of 50K for international medical.

20 years ago it cost 50K to bring a Lear jet to Colombia for transport to our hospital

in the USA.

Try and get them to pay it, today :o

I just did....Allianze. I'm in CA

Good choice! We have used this company for the past five years and had to place a claim last year because my travel companion's husband was hospitalized a week before sailing and we cancelled our trip.

They paid 100% of our cancellation. Ins. is not cheap at our ages (in our 70's), and it was a long Oceania sailing, so we were very happy with the outcome!

Some states will not allow you to buy annual. California for instance.

Insure My Luxury Travel, (719) 331

I live in SoCal and have been buying an annual policy from Allianz for $254 per person for many years..and have collected on it several times..not sure where you heard that..

Jancruz1

I agree with Jancruz, my sister and girlfriend both live in California and each have annual policies through Allianz. They were formally Access America! You can take it out it anytime & goes annually from the date you take it out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also remember travel insurance protects you for things like having to be flown home by helicopter or special airplane, once you were outside of the United States if you have Medicare, and a secondary such as Atnah or Blue Cross they do not pay for you. It is much more than an actual travel insurance policy. I myself have had to use it for trip cancellation at the last minute on two occasions. Both times because traveling companions we were going with could not go. Make sure that you are cross referenced with whoever you were traveling with not just the person in your cabin! Just last year we had to cancel a cruise less than two weeks prior because my best friend passed away and none of us could go. Once you have invested more $1000 into your trip, it is highly advisable to take out travel insurance! Peace of mind is worth everything. Yes there are some hoops to jump through including in our case providing death certificate but getting all our money back was well worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In answer to the specific question, we use TravelGuard, buy the insurance from their website. Never buy the insurance from the TA, cruise line that you send money to. If that entity goes bankrupt, you will not be covered-read the fine print in the policy. The pre-existing condition rider begins on the day you make the first non-refundable deposit, provided you are healthy enough to be able to travel on that date and for the amount that you bought the insurance for. When you increase the amount later, I believe it will also need to be within 14 days of the larger nonrefundable payment. Yes, you can use credit card benefits, etc. but there are consequences-lesser or no coverage for pre-existing conditions, if a family member dies back home and you need to return, etc. Read the policy carefully. Yes, your home health insurance policy will cover, but only if you pay up front in a foreign land, obtain correctly coded bills translated into English for procedures that your policy covers in the setting where you policy covers it. Also it will be up to you to locate the doctors, hospitals, etc. to treat your condition and make sure they have the credentials recognized by your insurance company. Then there may be the need for an air ambulance or first class tickets to get you home, which would not be paid by your insurance.

In general, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Better to get travel insurance and be safe.

Mary

We live in Canada. I have taken others advice and checked out Allianze. The price was a lot less.

$826 vs. $1500.

They do not offer an annual rate since we are 66 and 67 years old.

Has anyone had a bad experience with

Alliance Canada? Thanks everyone.

We live in Canada. I have taken others advice and checked out Allianze. The price was a lot less.

$826 vs. $1500.

They do not offer an annual rate since we are 66 and 67 years old.

Has anyone had a bad experience with

Alliance Canada? Thanks everyone.

We have an annual out-of-country health plan from Allianz via our bank. We can have any number of 31 day trips per year. We can buy extra coverage for longer trips.

We live in Canada and are Canadians. The cancellation portion isn't enough though and we'll buy extra coverage from them when we are going to lock in our cruise.

Edited by Tansy Mews