Dear Mr. Frank Del Rio, you have a problem.

donnasworld

A serious one, which I hope your company will pay attention to, as it may involve the health of Oceania guests and most certainly your employees.

I am currently sailing on the Sirena circumnavigating Australia. For the most part, the cruise has been wonderful with the exception of some logistical issues, but those are petty compared to the ones I would like to bring to your attention.

On the first day of our cruise, I worked out at the fitness center. I was on the treadmill when I started to choke on the cigarette smoke coming in from the smoking area, which for reasons unknown to the crew that I spoke with, is located less than 20 feet from the entrance to the fitness center. As I went through my workout I had no choice but to breathe cigarette smoke for the remaining 30 minutes of my workout. Afterwards, I spoke with the General Manager, who apologized profusely but informed me that the decision regarding allowing smoking on the ship was made by the management at Oceania headquarters. He said that regardless of his opinion or that of any Oceania employee on board, including the Captain, he was powerless to address my concerns. I likewise voiced my concerns to the Cruise Director, but she also told me there was nothing she could do.

I have now been on board the ship for three weeks with a just under two weeks to go on this cruise and these are my observations. There is a door at the entrance to the deck right by the smokers section that is supposed to stay closed but sometimes is left open, which was the case when I worked out the first time. The fitness center is thankfully free of cigarette smoke most of the time; however I have to breathe in the smoke almost every single time that I either go in or come out of the fitness center. Since I work out most days that is a lot of smoke that I am breathing in. Additionally, many times when we are exiting the ship for an excursion I smell cigarette smoke on the 4th floor. I do not know where this is coming from, but I have spoken with Oceania guests on the 4th floor, and they confirmed that they also smell cigarette smoke and that it may be coming from the doors marked crew. If this is cigarette smoke, then these passengers are even more susceptible to breathing second-hand smoke during our cruise.

Since I am not an expert on the perils of second-hand smoke, I cannot say for sure exactly how much of the smoke you have to breathe in before it damages the lungs, but I would imagine that the more you’re exposed, the worse it is for your health. This is not good news for some of your best passengers who have sailed 20, 30, or more times on Oceania. I can only say that I never want to smell cigarette smoke and in the general course of living my life, I try my best to avoid any contact with second-hand smoke.

Working in a smoke-filled workplace is obviously less than ideal working conditions for your crew members, who have no choice but to endure whatever environmental workplace Oceania management deems acceptable. I realize some of them are smokers, but I can only assume that some of them likely share my concerns for having to breathe in second-hand smoke as a daily part of their on board activities.

While on the subject of smoking, I have little knowledge about what constitutes safety at sea. However, I believe the probability of fire damage is increased by allowing cigarette smoking. Perhaps the risk is infinitesimally small with your current smoking policy, but wouldn’t it be even smaller if smoking were prohibited?

Before closing, there is one additional health concern that Iwould like to bring to your attention. As I am sure your management team knows, several ports on our Australia circumnavigation cruise have high instances of mosquitoes carrying a variety of diseases. Dengue Fever for example is highly prevalent in some of the ports on this cruise. I asked the Cruise Director why there were not more specific announcements made to warn passengers about these risks, and was told that she had not been instructed to make those statements. Fair enough. She is an employee of your company and is required to stick to whatever Oceania management decides should be disclosed to its guests. While I certainly agree that all passengers should be responsible for ensuringtheir own safety, I don’t see the harm in reminding passengers of the possibility of being exposed to potentially dangerous diseases such as DengueFever. In fairness, and to provide full disclosure, three years ago I was a passenger on Oceania sailing from Tahiti to New Zealand. When I arrived in Auckland I became sick and was diagnosed with Dengue Fever. According to the doctor that treated me, based on the typical incubation period for Dengue, I was likely bitten by a Dengue-carrying mosquito while our ship was in New Caledonia. I do not recall any mention of the risk of Dengue or any other disease while sailing on this cruise.

I certainly hope my concerns are brought to your attention. My spouse and I really enjoy being on your ships. We would just enjoy them more if the well-being of the passengers and crew were more highly prioritized then they currently appear to be. I sent customer relations an email noting my smoking concerns the last time I was on Oceania and received a brief reply that my concerns were noted and would be reviewed by management. Two years have gone by and nothing has changed. One passenger on this cruise, who has sailed on Oceania many more times than I have, suggested that I address my concerns directly to your attention.

I look forward to your response and hope that my concerns will receive proper attention. We really like Oceania and hope to sail with your company again soon. Hopefully, the next time we do sail, the air will be a lot cleaner.

Edited by donnasworld

I gather there is absolutely nothing that anyone on that vessel could have done to make sure that door you mention was kept closed as you say it was supposed to be. Is that correct and did you mention that?

As to Dengue...stay away from the Caribbean then, as well.

Dear mr del rio

I am on the same cruise. It has been fabulous and I cannot say enough good things about the crew and the entire staff.

Just think you should hear well deserved praise in addition to complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I gather there is absolutely nothing that anyone on that vessel could have done to make sure that door you mention was kept closed as you say it was supposed to be. Is that correct and did you mention that?

As to Dengue...stay away from the Caribbean then, as well.

add to that, Hawaii, Tahiti, Fiji, Cambodia, India, The Cooks, Solomons, Boreno,Brazil, Argentina,Panama,Marquseas,....

Having been on the same ship for a month prior, I never observed the doors open for more than an hour out of the week for cleaning... they are auto close doors.

While not a smoker I frequently sit in the smoking area, which is incredibly well ventilated, to the extent that even when fully occupied. it is no big thing... as to second hand smoke... there is just as much risk inherent in breathing exhaust fumes on the freeway. The poor lady , who had begun to choke 100 ft away from the smoking area may have a serious underlying medical condition, perhaps real and perhaps acquired, that she should consult medical help prior to any travel......there is more to this situation than meet s the eye..........................

I am also on this wonderful cruise and the door from the smoking area is a heavy auto close door. I have used the fitness centre every day of this cruise and have never encountered any smoke from the smoking area on deck 9. I am also a non smoker.

As to dengue, I expect it in almost all tropical areas of the world. No ship ever has warned me of mosquito born diseases. I am really sorry you got dengue.

The only ship that warned of biting insects and recommended specific prevention was the freighter Aranui in French Polynesia.

not sure FDR still has time to read the threads here or not

would be more productive to send a letter/email to HO in Miami or to him at NCLH

I am sure the GM onboard could give you the right contact info

Isn't there a door to the gym they can close ??

We usually go through the spa door & out the other side of the deck to avoid the smoking section

This poor persons problems as energized me into looking into the health hazards we all face on a cruise

1. I recall that when not properly secured to piers and anchors, that the ship actualy moves creating grave potential from falls.... wheels need to be installed to run alont the bottom and preclude this horror

2. Vast areas of the ship are exposed to the harmful sun... balconies and the pool area peomote shin cancer...enclose them

3. Speaking of the pool.... the water needs to be boiled before being placed in it

4. Sugar...poison to the Diabetic....get rid of all sugar and sugar foods

5 Champagne... when multiple bottles open emits toxic carbon dioxide

6. Air conditioning .... a breeding ground for Legionaries Disease

7. Serving sea food.... has anyone ever noticed that fish have poor hygiene.... they done even have proper restrooms... we need to educate the fish

8. Liquor....need I say more satan's elixir to corrupt our moral fiber and vital essence..

9. Paint.... varnish, all sorts emits a hydrocarbon not healthy to breath

10, Excessive lightning at night....making it an attractive landing spot for birds carrying avian malaria ... and invading alien space ships

11. Yeast in cookies.... one little bite can turn a man to a beast....can you imagine the disgrace of a man in the gutter with crumbs on his face

You know its a dangerous evil world I am beginning to understand just how dangerous is and I hope Mr Del Rio can take the necessary steps to protect and save us all....God bless you Frank ( you might start by contacting Don Quoit ...I hear he has experience in threat mitigation)

I certainly agree Hawaiidan. Read between the lines! On another note, does anyone on board know if cigarettes are sold on board? Can you give me idea of prices?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Two things, cigarettes are not sold on board and Mr. DelRio does not have time to read the boards..

Jancruz1

As much as I hate to get involved in a smoking discussion.....

I don't understand why the smoking corner isn't walled up. The stench blows with the wind and often impacts those of us lounging in those wonderful deck recliners.

And why is cigar smoking permitted there?

As much as I hate to get involved in a smoking discussion.....

I don't understand why the smoking corner isn't walled up. The stench blows with the wind and often impacts those of us lounging in those wonderful deck recliners.

And why is cigar smoking permitted there?

Why shouldn't cigar smoking be permitted there?

We had a thread, not long ago, discussing the multiple ports of call, and specific cruises, where a Yellow Fever vaccine was recommended. Many posters plainly said they had no intention of taking the shots because they were far to frail. Apparently to frail for the shot, but not to frail for the disease. Beating that dead horse again will have no purpose. If cruisers would check with their health care providers about risks in areas they plan on traveling the issue would be moot.

I've never witnessed mold or mildew in any of my past cabins, but if I had, I feel a quick word with my cabin stewards or Butler would resolve the issue quickly.

As to the issue of past guests , I did enter a cabin once and found where the (a) past cruiser had opted to carve their initials into the woodwork. Even on upscale cruise lines, some guests are classless!

I don't drink, and I think it is absolutely disgusting that as a non drinker I have to be around people who are drinking alcohol. I hate when I have to walk through bars when people are drinking and the stench of red wine makes me gag, and I can't even begin to think about the damage the alcohol molecules in the air are doing to my liver. Of course all the above is absolute rot and I am really not as precious as all that. I do have to wonder what the OP does when out and about on tours and locals smoke near him out on the street etc. I find continual complaining about smoke and smokers tiring and nit picky. If you do not like it don't go near the areas where you may be in close proximity to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hawaiidan......I am on the floor with your post. Absolutely hysterical. I told one of my colleagues, after reading her your post, that I wanted to hire you to answer all of our Yelp posts. We are in the wedding industry and constantly have to deal with answering ridiculous reviews.

Bt the way ToxM....love your post as well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

On Sirena now as well, and not really bothered by the smoke except for someone smoking a cigar while we were sitting at the pool bar. We have definitely smelled smoke on deck 4 when returning from excursions. And yes, I have seen someone buying a pack of cigarettes at one the bars.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with you completely Donnsworld. I love Oceania but I am sometimes bothered by the smoke. I don't want to take the ship excursions since smoking is slow on them:o

Do the private tours take you only to places where smoking is not allowed? If so, that must be a very limited list of places in most countries around the world :D

On Sirena now as well, and not really bothered by the smoke except for someone smoking a cigar while we were sitting at the pool bar. We have definitely smelled smoke on deck 4 when returning from excursions. And yes, I have seen someone buying a pack of cigarettes at one the bars.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Impossible. they do not sell cigarettes on board

Sent from my iPhone using Forums