What to wear on Alaska Cruise in late June

ezfish981

My wife and I are taking our first cruise to Alaska on the NCL Pearl leaving on June 21st and would love to have some help in what we need to bring. We plan on taking clothes so that we can dress in layers, but don't want to take too much heavy clothes. Any help we can get would be really appreciated.

ezfish981@aol.com:)

I am going through exactly the same problem. Because we are flying weight limits are pretty strict.

I was advised to go for layers so I have been buying lots of lightweight clothes that would be comfortable under sweaters etc. I was advised of the following site which gives a number of helpful checklists http://www.alaskacruises.com/what_to_pack.asp.

I'm presently starting to pack for a 4th of July cruise on the star...I will be leaving in a few weeks for Washington and have to pack several suitcases for different trips. LOL

For Alaska, I'm only taking 1 dress...and plan to wear Jeans and slacks for this cruise...no shorts...I'm also taking only long sleeve tops...not heavy sweaters but warmer tops than what I would normally wear.

I assume I'll be wearing Tennis Shoes more than flip flops..so I'm packing socks. I will take a bathing suit...but not 5 like I would in the Carribean.

I will pack a jacket....but hope not to have to wear it.

I have always found 60 degrees cold in California....but up north with the sun shining 60 can be very warm.

Sandy

We took a late june cruise that extended into early july and to be honest I was more cold in san francisco than I was the entire time in alaska.

I ended up buying a jacket in sausalito (sp) that I did wear when we sailed Glacier Bay and I was planning to stand out on the balcony for any length of time.

I did wear a long sleeve shirt when we took the railroad trip at Skagway but other than those times I was in short sleeve shirts and sometimes even shorts.

The temperature was in the 80's when we got to juneau...

It was funny to see people swimming at the glacier outside of juneau - here is all this ice and snow and people are swimming.

We were told the weather can do funny things in alaska and that we were lucky we did not see any rain on our entire cruise.

I think you have picked a great time to cruise to alaska.

Have fun and is there anyway you can put me in your suitcase, although your weight limit will go well over 50 pounds.

I can't wait to sail to alaska again and especially on the Pearl, a great ship with a great crew.

Say hello to denis and tony from merry and dennis.

Denis is a great hotel director and Tony is the best food and beverage director in the NCL fleet.

remember that as the ship moves, it is creating its own wind....so being outdoors will often seem much colder than the temp would indicate (wind chill ). It will probably not seem warm at all unless the sun is shinning.

My take is that on Alaskan cruises, most passengers are not fashion fanatics...so a single rain jacket over a single fleece top could go for the whole week for the outdoors activities. Save the fashion statements for indoors activities and you should be fine.

My partner and I were on the Pearl on an Alaska cruise June 17-24, 2007. The entire time I wore jeans, a t-shirt, and a zip-up fleece jacket (I might have changed my shirt for dinner). The weather that week was so gorgeous that it didn't rain once, it was sunny on every port day, and it was cloudy when we were in Glacier Bay (made the glacier look fantastically blue). Sometimes the fleece was zipped up, sometimes it was unzipped, and sometimes it was tied around my waist!

The only thing we added were gloves and a knit cap for Glacier Bay. It was chilly that day.

--Michael

We went to Alaska last July and it was cold and rained every day. We wore long sleeved shirts with fleece vest and rain/windbreaker jackets. If for some reason you don't pack warm enough clothes all the shops in Ketchican/Juneau/Skagway sell warm jackets relatively cheaply; at least they were cheaper than on the ship. We were on the Star and although my husband spent a lot of time on the deck taking photos I spent a good deal of my time in the lounges/theaters with great views. Despite the weather we had a wonderful time and the scenery is breathtaking

I agree take a pair of light gloves and a warm hat. You could plan on one sweatshirt and buy another if needed. Bring a rain/wind/ warm jacket. I also have a few pairs of pants that unzip into shorts that I like to bring on trips. We were their in July and I only wore short the last day in Seattle.

We were there last July. Weather was so nice. It was fairly warm. And it did not rain in Ketchikan! We went on a whale watch in Juneau and needed winter jacket, hats & gloves. It was cold! I did not bring a winter coat so I had to buy one, but it was fairly cheap. Warm layers and waterproof are key. Hve a great time. I can't wait to go back (in winter next time)!

We've done Alaska cruises in June and July. We were fortunate to find it quite warm in Anchorage (pre-cruise) i.e. short sleeved shirts, perhaps a light sweater or sweatshirt, and slacks. Both times, Glacier Bay has been cold - we wore light weight winter jackets over long sleeved turtlenecks and long underwear. (We were out on the deck for hours.) Also, we've hit quite a bit of rain, even in summer. I think that we must have hit colder weather than most of the posters, since we did wear our - long underwear, turtlenecks, and fleece ...all under a goretex raincoat. Alaska is absolutely awesome. Have a great time:)!

Archived