GoinCruisin: 17,435

Krazy Kruizers: 17,059

Cookie B: 16,492

isujim: 16, 435

NitaBcruising: 16,424

Serene56: 14,061

johnql: 13,356

Those numbers are nothing compared to some today. :eek:

But they've had 11 more years so the tally's grow.

That's a great approach and I sure wish others would do the same.

There are some who will post the same answer directly below someone's reply that has already answered the question - and then claim they didn't see it, yet managed to read the original post....

Maybe there needs to be a thumbs up button, so people can just show they agree.

Personally I like having a few people respond (even with the same answer) otherwise I have no idea how accurate the response is.

>SNIP<

In a few cases technical issues have arisen that required involuntary member name changes which also caused post counts to be impacted.

>SNIP<

Thanks for that info, Walt! I'm not sure if you can answer this but I got to thinking :) Couldn't the post count for someone who is forced into a name change (because of tech issues) be set with a couple of lines of code, along the lines of PostCount=5,556 or something? And what happens to any demerits (or whatever they are called) if a poster ends up forced into a name change because of tech issues? Are they poof-gone? Or do they carry over?

Changing your username doesn't always result in a reset of your post count--maybe only when it's for the reason Walt gave? I changed my user name about five years ago because of a divorce. I had to make a request and explain why (old user name was a portion of my ex-husband's business name and I didn't want to continue with that) and when they changed my user name to Q_C my post count wasn't impacted. Thank goodness, because I wouldn't have a record of those times I've contributed valuable information to the community! :rolleyes::rolleyes: LOL.

Changing your username doesn't always result in a reset of your post count--maybe only when it's for the reason Walt gave? I changed my user name about five years ago because of a divorce. I had to make a request and explain why (old user name was a portion of my ex-husband's business name and I didn't want to continue with that) and when they changed my user name to Q_C my post count wasn't impacted. Thank goodness, because I wouldn't have a record of those times I've contributed valuable information to the community! :rolleyes::rolleyes: LOL.

I can see why you'd want to change your name ;)

The difference, I think, is that Walt was referencing an involuntary change due to technical issues, so I'm presuming something about the old user ID/profile got corrupted, so could no longer be used. Whereas your previous name was still "good"/"usable" so hey-presto, with a few key strokes from the Admin people, now you are Quilting Cruiser, complete with your previous info and profile and such....

And back to more or less the original topic. To me, post counts mean nothing. Someone who shows 50 posts could easily have been cruising for years, while someone who shows 10,000 may have cruised once, a decade ago. The 50-post poster may have had (as Walt mentioned) another ID that had 1000s of posts, and for some reason lost the post count. The 10,000-post poster may have just enjoyed the camaraderie of CC, so continued to visit and post.

Thanks for that info, Walt! I'm not sure if you can answer this but I got to thinking :) Couldn't the post count for someone who is forced into a name change (because of tech issues) be set with a couple of lines of code, along the lines of PostCount=5,556 or something? And what happens to any demerits (or whatever they are called) if a poster ends up forced into a name change because of tech issues? Are they poof-gone? Or do they carry over?

This possibility was considered, then dropped back when we moved to a new software resource. Reason? It would require incurring the cost and potential disruption of the routine use of the software for something that really isn't significant at all.

Way back around the turn of the century (I love saying that because my grandparents used to say that back when I was growing up...just a different century) my handle was Shiptender, then CL Walt (Community Leader Walt) then finally Host Walt. Each time my handle was changed, my post count was reset to 0.

As a Host, the only time I pay any attention to a member's post count is when I run into a roll call type post in the main boards. If it's someone with, say, 18 posts, it's fair to guess that the Member is new to CC so when the post is moved to the roll call section I handle it differently than a similar situation by someone who has, say, 20,000 posts.

Also, when someone gets into an inappropriate travel agent discussion, the new member gets a note about our TA rules where the 20,000 member just gets a hand slap or worse.

T

As a Host, the only time I pay any attention to a member's post count is when I run into a roll call type post in the main boards. If it's someone with, say, 18 posts, it's fair to guess that the Member is new to CC so when the post is moved to the roll call section I handle it differently than a similar situation by someone who has, say, 20,000 posts.

Also, when someone gets into an inappropriate travel agent discussion, the new member gets a note about our TA rules where the 20,000 member just gets a hand slap or worse.

AHA -- So, those folks get to join the "You should have known better" club? ;)

Host Walt -- You (and all the mods) have a tough job. Thank you for everything you do! :)

Edited by wwcruisers

This possibility was considered, then dropped back when we moved to a new software resource. Reason? It would require incurring the cost and potential disruption of the routine use of the software for something that really isn't significant at all.

Way back around the turn of the century (I love saying that because my grandparents used to say that back when I was growing up...just a different century) my handle was Shiptender, then CL Walt (Community Leader Walt) then finally Host Walt. Each time my handle was changed, my post count was reset to 0.

Thanks Walt, and your "turn of the century" made me :D and LOL

(I suspect that having Host in front of your name carries more weight than having an accurate post count!)

Maybe there needs to be a thumbs up button, so people can just show they agree.

Personally I like having a few people respond (even with the same answer) otherwise I have no idea how accurate the response is.

I agree with this, which is why I am posting :D. Because there isn't a "like" or "agree" button I post my opinion even if I agree to show the OP, or even other readers, that there are multiple people of that same opinion which may lend more credence to that answer. In some threads you can have multiple people giving different answers which are based on their opinion and/or their experience. This just lets the reader know that there be more to the answer than something that can be answered in concrete or black and white terms.

Edited by Warm Breezes

From discussions here on CC, I gather that some cruise lines give a special color of sign and sail card that identifies one's "status" as a frequent cruiser. Displaying that "status" by making their card visible (e.g., on a lanyard) apparently is considered to be bad form by some....

:D

Help us out with how you gleaned that - I just read the entire 8 page thread on lanyards and NOT ONE reference to anything like that was made. In fact the only mention of the key card color at all regarded a "first-time cruiser" being targeted as an easier mark by shoreside vendors. :confused:

I have been hand slapped a few times. ;)

Gotta love the mods. Cant even think about a job reading posts all day.

Edited by janetz

Help us out with how you gleaned that - I just read the entire 8 page thread on lanyards and NOT ONE reference to anything like that was made. In fact the only mention of the key card color at all regarded a "first-time cruiser" being targeted as an easier mark by shoreside vendors. :confused:

I have read and heard some people say, you only use it to show off they you're elite, diamond, whatever.

Personally I couldn't care less what someone else's level is, either on a cruise or on a forum such as this, in fact I barely care what my own is.

Okay, here are a few (from the boards of three different cruise lines):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42013160&postcount=25

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48483419&postcount=10

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48484512&postcount=28

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46351382&postcount=5

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43715959&postcount=63

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39862210&postcount=6

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48544049&postcount=69

Edited by cruisemom42