Post Counts

ithaca gal

I've seen a few comments about people saying "Thank you for the review", etc. and other CC members writing "Trying to bump up their post count".

What are the different levels that can be reached according to number of posts?

And, most importantly, what perks are there for being a Blue Ribbon Cruiser, etc.? It seems like it is pretty important to some posters out there, so there must be SOME unknown benefits that I need to be aware of!

Happy Easter!

There are absolutely NO benefits to posting a lot. I mean none. Nada. No prizes, no perks, no nothin. :p Some members post a lot and they have good things to add, excellent advice, and so on. And some do not - what can I say... I suppose we all have to make up our mind about the quality of the content and not necessarily be fixated on the quantity. :D;)

And indeed, you will see that I, myself, have over 16,000 posts. Many of those posts were made when I was going through a very dark and difficult time, during my chemotherapy and radiation treatments a few years back. Dreaming and posting about cruising kept me going... gave me hope... that one day I would be well enough to cruise again and to see this big, beautiful world. And all glory to God, that day came. :)

I am what most would call a high number of posts CC'er and I'm not aware of any benefits. I'm sorry some think it is something shameful to post here often. :o

I'd like to think some of the information I've posted here over the years may have once or twice been helpful, that I was able to competently answer some questions that were asked.

I never thought I would be expected to relate why I come to CC often and post so much. References like this make me think once I reach 80,000 posts which might be soon, it is worth thinking it's time I stepped away.

Edited by sail7seas

There are absolutely NO benefits to posting a lot. I mean none. Nada. No prizes, no perks, no nothin. :p Some members post a lot and they have good things to add, excellent advice, and so on. And some do not - what can I say... I suppose we all have to make up our mind about the quality of the content and not necessarily be fixated on the quantity. :D;)

And indeed, you will see that I, myself, have over 16,000 posts. Many of those posts were made when I was going through a very dark and difficult time, during my chemotherapy and radiation treatments a few years back. Dreaming and posting about cruising kept me going... gave me hope... that one day I would be well enough to cruise again and to see this big, beautiful world. And all glory to God, that day came. :)

Very well said my friend :)

I certainly did not mean to make anyone feel that they shouldn't post helpful information!!! I love to learn things just by reading CC posts.

I guess I just wondered why people would try to boost their post count.

When I was searching for what levels of posting there were (Cool Cruiser, Blue Ribbon, others?) I came across a post wherein the poster said her post count was off and could she please be re-instituted as a "such and such" level cruiser. It just seemed important for a reason that I couldn't fathom.

To all of you who commented, thank for for all of the helpful comments you have given so far ... And please continue! :)

(I'm still curious as to what levels there are and the number of posts required for each level.)

Edited by ithaca gal
Typo

I am what most would call a high number of posts CC'er and I'm not aware of any benefits. I'm sorry some think it is something shameful to post here often. :o

I'd like to think some of the information I've posted here over the years may have once or twice been helpful, that I was able to competently answer some questions that were asked.

I never thought I would be expected to relate why I come to CC often and post so much. References like this make me think once I reach 80,000 posts which might be soon, it is worth thinking it's time I stepped away.

I would hate to see someone with your wealth of knowledge stop helping folks here.

I think the confusion comes when there are certain posters that always seem to b*tch that some posters are posting just to "up" the post count. The best part of them doing that - THEIR post count goes up. So you post a nasty comment about someone else posting useless information and as it turns out - that is exactly what you are doing.

Subject: boarding the ship. Comment from complainer: Don't listen to him, he has nothing to add. He is just trying to up his post count. LOL. What the h*ll do you think you just did. Mirror people - quick get a mirror.

Their posts usually go down because a thread they posted on either got deleted or just their posts got deleted.

I for one would like to thank the "high count" posters on this board. I have learned so much from you. It's always entertaining and educational. I too am curious about the levels. What has the highest number been to date?

I for one would like to thank the "high count" posters on this board. I have learned so much from you. It's always entertaining and educational. I too am curious about the levels. What has the highest number been to date?

Currently 99607.

There are enough valid reasons to object to certain posts (some of mine, I have to regretfully acknowledge) have disclosed little more than a - hopefully transitory - bad mood.

But to object on the basis of pure number? There are some with many thousands, virtually all of which have contributed; while some drive-bys with just a dozen or so might be better not heard from at all.

Hopefully we all learn enough to eventually contribute more than mere contention - so, please keep at it.

I would hate to see someone with your wealth of knowledge stop helping folks here.

Thank you for your kind words...... :)

I know there are some people who put no thought or effort into their responses and rarely share much of value to any readers but for the most part, I think the majority of us really love to talk about our cruises and share anecdotes as well as factual (hopefully useful) information.

I really don't pay attention to post counts. It does not mean they are superior or more knowledgeable.

I guess folks with very high post counts obviously have the time to be on CC every day.

For me I am only active when I have a cruise booked so I may be dormant for months then active for a couple months.

You get to learn who are the helpful and knowledgeable folks over time.

Having said that, for the most part most posts are with good intentions.

There are enough valid reasons to object to certain posts (some of mine, I have to regretfully acknowledge) have disclosed little more than a - hopefully transitory - bad mood.

But to object on the basis of pure number? There are some with many thousands, virtually all of which have contributed; while some drive-bys with just a dozen or so might be better not heard from at all.

Hopefully we all learn enough to eventually contribute more than mere contention - so, please keep at it.

'bad mood" In todays world I think we are all guilty of this on...hopefully just an occasion. ;):)

I've seen a few comments about people saying "Thank you for the review", etc. and other CC members writing "Trying to bump up their post count".

What are the different levels that can be reached according to number of posts?

And, most importantly, what perks are there for being a Blue Ribbon Cruiser, etc.? It seems like it is pretty important to some posters out there, so there must be SOME unknown benefits that I need to be aware of!

Happy Easter!

No perks at all, some people are fixated on post counts, some on getting them up, others on what someone else's count is.

I don't understand.

I know where you are coming from, I was bed ridden with a spinal complaint for 5 years CC and another forum on a totally different topic, saved what little sanity I have ever had.

Edited by GUT2407

Like some other posters I post a lot.

Sometimes my posts are very lengthily. Even have been accused of posts that are too long. Well I find that sometimes thoroughness is needed.

Sometimes they are short such as thank you for your post or review. Why? Because I do take the time to read them and I just want the original poster to get the positive feedback. Related to that, if I ask a question and someone answers it I thank them. Why? Because I want to thank them for taking the time to respond. Feedback is nice.

Why do some post a lot. My believe as someone who does is for a few reasons. They love to cruise and they also are interested in what others write and also they want to assist their fellow cruise critic members.

When I began cruising there was on cruise critic. I made some mistakes that could have been avoided with cruise critic.

With that said, I still will post from time to time and ask question whether that is about a first time visit to a port of call, a question on a ship or cruise line we are sailing for the very first time or a question about a hotel or a restaurant or in my case a question about a river cruise which we will be taking for the first time in 2017.

My parent's taught me a valuable lesson in life. And that is to treat others the way you want to be treated. So, I will never understand why some will be critical of someone who posts a lot or someone who is passionate about a cruise line. Just be happy for them or just don't post something negative.

Oh well.

Happy Cruising.

Keith

Bob, same applies to you.

You add a lot of value, on many boards including RCI.

I have been visiting that board quite often of late. Why? We have sailed them once but also doing research for a family member and see how much you contribute there. Keep dong just that.

Keith

Keep posting. I have learned from your posts.

As much as I have cruised I still learn.

I think there is a saying, you are never too old to learn new things.

Well, I think that applies to how long one has cruised. I continually learn from many people on Cruise Critic including you. :)

Keith