Sanitize your hands..but you can still get Norovirus

oceansandseas

One last word about Norovirus - You can sanitize your hands, wash your hands properly and often, and watch what you touch. You can still get the Norovirus.

You can be quarantined in the same cabin as your husband and touch him and everything in the cabin, and he does not get Norovirus.

I was very cautious and followed all rules, but I got Norovirus.

That's sad for you... I believe that the sanitizer isn't an anti viral, only anti bacterial, so that's no use against your problem.

I taught for 40 years, and dealt with umpteen children with Noro, only we called it the winter sickness back then... half the class would go down with it but not me, nor most of the other staff- I had a dose as a student teacher, that's all.

There was some research which thought that blood group A was less susceptible, though I don't know if it was ever proved- and, yes, I am A+.

One last word about Norovirus - You can sanitize your hands, wash your hands properly and often, and watch what you touch. You can still get the Norovirus.

You can be quarantined in the same cabin as your husband and touch him and everything in the cabin, and he does not get Norovirus.

I was very cautious and followed all rules, but I got Norovirus.

True.

Noro is quite insidious! You can have the virus many days before you exhibit symptoms...that's why it's so hard to stop! Folks have been exposed to the germ BEFORE they board...and come down with it at some point in their vacation.

Yes, it can happen but alway best to wash with warm water and soap and do this often and thoroughly.

Keith

Sanitizer has no impact on Noro (at least not the versions used on cruise ships). Hand washing and not touching your eyes, nose or mouth with your hands helps stop transmission but nothing is full proof.

The virus can become airborne when expelled from the body and has splatter range of almost 3 feet,

Umm, huh??? It is spread through contact with soiled surfaces and not through droplet or airborn. So unless you're doing some weird stuff in the bathroom there is no "splatter range". The 3 feet usually refers to contagions that are spread through droplet which tend to have a range of 3 feet when someone coughs or sneezes.

The trick is to wash the Novovirus off your hands, not kill it with hand sanitizer. The virus can become airborne when expelled from the body and has splatter range of almost 3 feet,

Once again we get incorrect info on medical matters. Noro is not an airborne agent. Practical common sense has said we should practice good hygiene to prevent the spread of disease. That being said some ailments are more easily transmissible than others and in the relatively closed confines of a ship will spread quickly and potentially widely. In the presence of an outbreak every attempt is made to reduce potential contacts but short of confining all passengers to their quarters this is a highly contagious disease.

Wash your hands, keep your hands out of your mouth and if it makes you feel better use sanitizer although it's benefit is highly overrated

Umm, huh??? It is spread through contact with soiled surfaces and not through droplet or airborn. So unless you're doing some weird stuff in the bathroom there is no "splatter range". The 3 feet usually refers to contagions that are spread through droplet which tend to have a range of 3 feet when someone coughs or sneezes.

While it is ordinarily only spread though surface contact, the virus has been shown to be airborne - say in instances of projectile vomiting: admittedly very rare but still possible, as shown in hospital studies.

A tip from a friend who was at sea for 41 years, mostly on passenger ships. During those 41 years he never got Norovirus.

"Before going to eat, wash your hands thoroughly with plenty of soap and hot water and scrubbing. After that, *never* shake hands with anyone, and do not touch anything apart from your utensils."

It's saved me a few times - on one notable occasion I refused to shake hands with a passenger who was slightly offended by my refusal to shake his hand; he spent the next five days confined to his cabin with Noro, as did a few others who were less polite than I am....

VP

Or live your life without worrying about tummy bugs, don't obsess about hand washing, touch all the lift buttons and shake all the hands you want, and you might still never catch it. I never have, nor has anyone in my family.

While it is ordinarily only spread though surface contact, the virus has been shown to be airborne - say in instances of projectile vomiting: admittedly very rare but still possible, as shown in hospital studies.

Once again bad medical information. This is not an airborne disease. If you understood what that meant you would realize that even in the context you describe above that would be a contact situation.

There was some research which thought that blood group A was less susceptible, though I don't know if it was ever proved- and, yes, I am A+.

I hope this is true! I'm A-. I can say that I never caught it anytime my son had it when he was little.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Once again bad medical information. This is not an airborne disease. If you understood what that meant you would realize that even in the context you describe above that would be a contact situation.

You misread my post: while it is not CONSIDERED an airborne, novo can be transmitted without hysical contact with a surface. Hospital studies have shown that the virus IS capable of being suspended in the air in at least a three foot radius from source - for a yet-undetermined time period.. That is what I referred to.

You misread my post: while it is not CONSIDERED an airborne, novo can be transmitted without hysical contact with a surface. Hospital studies have shown that the virus IS capable of being suspended in the air in at least a three foot radius from source - for a yet-undetermined time period.. That is what I referred to.

I understood you perfectly and you misused the term airborne as a source of transmission.

I understood you perfectly and you misused the term airborne as a source of transmission.

A virus transmitted through the air is airborne. Even though virtually all noro transmission is by surface contact, the fact remains that noro CAN be spread by inhaled airborn virus.

Give it a rest.

A virus transmitted through the air is airborne. Even though virtually all noro transmission is by surface contact, the fact remains that noro CAN be spread by inhaled airborn virus.

Give it a rest.

That is still not "airborne" transmission. It's like saying a blood borne pathogen can be airborne because your IV could come loose and you could wave your arm around and spray blood into the air.

That is still not "airborne" transmission. It's like saying a blood borne pathogen can be airborne because your IV could come loose and you could wave your arm around and spray blood into the air.

Well Dave I guess those of us in the world of medicine must know less about disease than the bankers, that's OK maybe we know more about money than them. LOL

A simulated device set up in a lab utilizing artificial parameters has little or nothing to do with the real time practice of medicine. Even given that you could spray an aerosol of noro by vomiting which has not been clinically demonstrated that would not fulfill the airborne criteria as currently defined. We can argue back and forth all day here but no clinician will define noro as an airborne agent,

just as it should not be called the stomach flu since it is not influenza

Maybe you were just lucky

I am A+ & came down with it last May ...down & out for 2 days

not fun

While I don't disagree that noro virus can become "airborne" during vomiting, and can remain suspended in the air, the CDC itself says there is no evidence that noro can be contracted by inhalation. Even the study linked here only discusses whether noro can become airborne to carry to surfaces further away. Those surfaces may be your hands, but if YOU maintain good personal hygiene, and wash your hands before eating, it doesn't matter whether an airborne virus "landed" on your hands or whether you touched a surface that had virus on it.

So, I side with Elaine in saying that the virus can reach your hands from a vomiting incident, but personally, if I'm anywhere near someone who is vomiting, I'm washing my hands quickly. I don't side with navybankerteacher who says you can get noro from inhalation of aerosolized virus.