Food on Liberty Of the Seas???

I sailed the week of 9-4-16..The food on the ship was sub-par..They served some type of mystery meat in the main dining room they called Manhattan aged sirloin..When I asked the waiter they were a bit deceptive and would never use the word beef. We found the selection at the Wind jammer to be very repetitive and low in flavor..The chops restaurant was good but you have to pay extra for the same thing you get for free on other ships..and it was just OK...Johnny Rockect was good ..Just curious if others are seeing the same thing or if I just hit a bad week for the galley.

As many say here, food is very subjective. Having sailed on Royal since 2000, the food quality has gone down a bit. However, we certainly don't starve to death and can always find a meal, free or upcharge, that satisfies us.

The waiters are pretty good at guiding you to the better menu choices.

WJ is known for being boring and repetitive at lunch. The tutti salad bar in the MDR is greatness.

The buffet is 100% the worst Food I've ever had on any ship and I am not particular. I'm eating it right now haha

Spoke with several experienced Cruisers who had my same thoughts but told me that chops was an awesome experience for them they had the filet.

Johnny Rockets it's okay but I don't feel like I should pay extra for hamburgers and hotdogs so I bought the tuna melt which was decent.

Even though this ship is 300 miles from my driveway I will not be back on it.

Whoever created the traffic flow was out of their mind. The worst elevator traffic and wait times I've ever experienced on any ship mainly because everyone's trying to get up to eat on deck eleven coming and going.

I think the thing I miss most about princes is the Outdoor hamburger fries sandwiches dogs sausages there's always a pretty big line out there but it eliminates traffic congestion at the buffet .

And speaking of the Windjammer they got part of that correct. Should be called The People Jammer you have to be on your game in there to get food it's like a squirrel convention looking for 4 nuts lol

Very very congested.

On a positive note I think the center mall is pretty cool I like to hang out here when I'm not sunning.

ca7037ffb7d01a31319fc453a6ff5656.jpg

Edited by BeachBum777

Taste is indeed subjective. We were cruising with a group about 15 years ago. Everyone was very pleased with the food except for one couple. That couple could not wait until they could get home and get to a McDonald's. I kid you not. Upon arrival in St Thomas they walked to a McDonald's and were so happy.

Yes, taste is very subjective.

I sailed the week of 9-4-16..The food on the ship was sub-par..They served some type of mystery meat in the main dining room they called Manhattan aged sirloin..When I asked the waiter they were a bit deceptive and would never use the word beef. We found the selection at the Wind jammer to be very repetitive and low in flavor..The chops restaurant was good but you have to pay extra for the same thing you get for free on other ships..and it was just OK...Johnny Rockect was good ..Just curious if others are seeing the same thing or if I just hit a bad week for the galley.

Which ships would that be?

Taste is indeed subjective. We were cruising with a group about 15 years ago. Everyone was very pleased with the food except for one couple. That couple could not wait until they could get home and get to a McDonald's. I kid you not. Upon arrival in St Thomas they walked to a McDonald's and were so happy.

Yes, taste is very subjective.

I will now un follow this thread

M Mom - you should see their review. They had me at "Worst Experience of my Life!!!!!!!!" If going on the Liberty was the worst experience of their life, they have led an amazingly charmed existence. :rolleyes: Quite an imaginative review. :eek: :eek:

Their post count only shows one post. Where is this review?

I am new to the forum although I followed it for about six months prior to our last cruise on Liberty departing on September 18th. I thought it was time to join and get more out of it.

My wife and I have put in 38 days at sea starting in 2010. We jumped in with both feet on a 17 night Trans Atlantic for our 2nd cruise, our favorite. My comments on food are based on four ships during that time, all Royal Caribbean.

My opinion is that the food quality and selections has gradually gone down hill over that six year time. It is to the point that food is no longer included in my consideration for taking a cruise.

Here are some details:

In the past all of the menus contained food items for everyone's taste. This trip we read the menus in advance and chose not to eat in the main dining room three nights and we wish we had made that choice on another night.

In the Windjammer selection was seriously less and quality was down. Omelets were often burned. Butter is no longer served and the margarine was low quality. Cakes seem to be disappearing replaced by custards, puddings, and gelatins. There seemed to be fewer meat dishes.

We ate one afternoon at Sabor and found it quite good.

That is enough for my first time.

• 1 month later...

We sailed on the Liberty last May and are set to sail again in April. We didn't have any bad experiences in the MDR. The food was all really good as was our wait staff. The WJ on the other hand is a bit repetative like others have mentioned, but there are still lots of good choices to find. We pretty much only ate breakfast in the WJ and then would catch lunch at Sorentos. We found their pizza and other items to be very delicious and not as crowded. We also at Johnny Rockets twice and really enjoyed it (aside from the wait time to get a table).

Just throwing my two cents into the hat in the ring - I sailed on Liberty in January 2015 and thought the MDR and Windjammer food was awesome. Our waiter was from India and he hooked us up with fresh-cooked Indian food which was magnificent. I think I had about half of what was on the menu by the end of the week and don't remember disliking anything. It is true that in Windjammer you sometimes have to be patient and stand in line, but I don't remember any pushing, shoving, line-jumping, dirty looks or anything like that - everybody seemed to understand that when 6000 people are confined into one space you have to share.

I had the manhattan strip steak twice that week and I thought it tasted like steak.

There are also quick alternatives elsewhere in the ship - if you just want a sandwich, pastry or a couple slices of pizza you can go to sorento's. There are also a couple smaller buffet-like places around the ship if you look for them.

So, either you had a stastically improbably BAD week, or I had a statistically improbably GOOD week :).

P.S. I should probably put a disclaimer that I usually don't eat breakfast at all. The couple times I did visit the windjammer and/or MDR for breakfast I thought the breakfast food was terrible. But that's not a problem for me as long as the coffee is good, and it is.

P.P.S. I kind of agree that the windjammer is repetitive for lunch. At supper, they do food from many nations. For example one night they did English food and had roast beef and yorkshire pudding. It was delicious. I've seen them do special Thai exhibits and I'm sure they've done other countries that I just don't remember. I wish they'd do that at lunch because for dinner I really prefer to eat in the MDR.

Edited by DalTXColtsFan

We sailed last year on The Navigator, and enjoyed the MDR, Chops, and Giovanni's. Yes, the restaurants cost a little more. And so did the outstanding lobster we had one night. But this isn't about the price. It's about the taste.

We are sailing on Liberty over New Years, and have already booked Chops, Giovanni's, Sabor, and Chef's Table. I also expect to book the Galley Tour and Brunch on board. Needless to say, we haven't had any food issues at all.

Having said that, I appreciate all viewpoints: Your Mileage May Vary. Not everyone likes chocolate, and not everyone will have the same experience i had.

See you on board!

we just got off of Liberty of the Seas. We ate in the MDR 3 nights, Chops twice, Sabor once, and Windjammer once.

The first night that we did the main dining room, I ordered the pork job and it was very good, it could have been cooked a minute less to be juicier but, pork is a tricky meat.

Chops was so amazing that we ate there twice and the second night the waitress suggested we try the mud pie. OMG amazing!! The steaks were awesome and very tender.

A friend had suggested we try Sabor. The server in Sabor, Omar I believe was his name was amazing. He was attentive and chatty but not pushy. The guacamole he made was so good my husband even ate it and he does not like guacamole.

The appetizers in Sabor was great, especially the chicken with jalapeños. My burrito was okay but nothing special. We almost went back to Sabor instead of Chops just because of the awesome service.

Windjammer I think my biggest mistake was I did not look around and just settled for salad. On the second day my husband found someone making omelette and waffles and that made my mornings in windjammer much better.

I was very impressed with speciality dining. The MDR wasn't bad but I did not have anything that blew me away on our three visits to the MDR. My fried fish on night 7 tasted like chicken. It was odd but tasted good. On our next cruise I believe we will booking at least 5 out of 7 nights in the speciality dining.

The same thing happened to me over 20 years ago at a Sandels Resort in Jamaica.

A gal on the plane home said she couldn't wait to get home so she could have "her McDonalds"...

I was on the Liberty in September. The only thing I did not like was the scrambled eggs. They tasted and looked like powdered eggs. We were always ordering room service but started going to the Windjammer for breakfast because of the eggs. I have to say, though, I definitely did not starve and found everything else to be just fine for me. I had no complaints. Even with the eggs, I am not an egg fan anyway, so I really didn't let it bother me!

Just off Liberty of the Seas this morning. We ate in the MDR every night and thought the food was overall pretty decent, we were a little disappointed that some of our favorites weren't everyday items, but it certainly didn't ruin the cruise. We did eat at Chops once for lunch and thought it was excellent. The Windjammer was typical for a buffet, pretty repetitive food, but that's pretty much what is expected. No real complaints from here regarding taste.

I am almost to the point that all my meals will be in specialty, food was ok in MDR last April but most meals were in specialty, WJ is terrible on all ships, MDR was terrible on my last cruise ( RCCL but not Liberty) since Sandals was mentioned before I think there food id so much better that either MDR or WJ but not as good as specialty, prefer Giovanni's on most ships. Good thing is I will not gain weight if I eat in MDR

I was on the week of October 23rd and had no complaints about the food. I was with my mom and sister, so I didn't do the things my husband and I would normally do (lots of specialty and little to no Windjammer). I even thought the Windjammer was OK, and Giovanni's Table was excellent.

Butter is no longer served and the margarine was low quality.

There was no shortage of butter in the Windjammer or MDR on my sailing!:D