Sign the Petition to Home Port a ship in LA

John&LaLa

Petition won't matter . Dollars will

I'm not sure I understand this statement. RCL knows ppl are choosing other lines to cruise out here on the West Coast.

How do we prove we can fill the ships until they put great ships out here. As noted previously, all the ships that are currently running here are sold out.

We found we prefer to cruise the big ships and we can only do that from the East Coast, so we fly there. If our choice is not available locally, how do we show with our dollars?

And yes, I signed the petition.

I would sign the petition if you need signatures, and I'd even be happy to see a ship sail from LA (I'm assuming you mean Los Angeles and not Louisiana?) because it's closer and cheaper for me to fly there. In reality I'm unlikely to actually sail from there because those trips probably wouldn't be to the Caribbean...or would they?

I'd be happier to see a ship sail from New Orleans, which is also easier and cheaper for me to get to, and a more fun place to visit pre-cruise, and would do the Caribbean sailings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was thinking the same thing.

I agree with the previous poster that we really need to email RCCL (Michael Bayley) to have any chance of making a difference. Oh, and they are in the midst of working on 2018 schedules so time is of the essence!

Here are points I think I'll include:

- People are moving to other lines

- The limited 1 or 2 sailings in late Sept are SELLING OUT (yes, the demand is there)

- We would be VERY happy with just a limited seasonal schedule as I outlined previously

- They don't have to do a full repo of a ship to do a limited 1 or 2 month season, so it really don't cost much more.

Any others????

Would anyone like to post a good email address that we could send our pleadings to?

Edited by tropiclvrs

I agree with the previous poster that we really need to email RCCL (Michael Bayley) to have any chance of making a difference. Oh, and they are in the midst of working on 2018 schedules so time is of the essence!

- The limited 1 or 2 sailings in late Sept are SELLING OUT (yes, the demand is there)

- We would be VERY happy with just a limited seasonal schedule as I outlined previously

- They don't have to do a full repo of a ship to do a limited 1 or 2 month season, so it really don't cost much more.

Any others????

Would anyone like to post a good email address that we could send our pleadings to?

Great points. I also mentioned that many long time "loyal to Royal" cruisers are cruising on other lines.

I sent my email to MBayley@rccl.com.

Any others????

Points I mentioned:

-That the West Coast presence would provide a nice introduction to Royal Caribbean for many first time cruisers. (We are all aware of how important first timers are to RCI)!

-Suggested offering CA Coastals at least in the spring and fall.

-How happy we were to have the Jewel out here last year. Given the pricing of those cruises (and I booked on Day 1), they likely made a nice profit.

-And last, but not least, I would sail on the Majesty (prefer smaller ships :o).

Nope, but I'd quite enjoy a Mexican Riviera, Pacific Coastal, Hawaii round trip, Panama Canal, etc...

Something tells me I'm going to burn out on East/West Caribbean

While I will definitely sign the petition...

if nothing comes from this (and that's a definite possibility), would you consider doing a Princess itinerary? I'm told that their West Coast sailings are wonderful, and there are a number of options from which you can select. :)

My very 1st cruise and only one on RCI was on the Viking Seranade out of Long Beach years ago. Would like to try Royal again if they went out of LA, since can drive to the port. Just did a sailing on CCL Miracle during spring break from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did the Mexican Riviera on the Mariner, one of our most favourite cruises yet. Unfortunately with increase of the drug cartels, especially in Mazatlan, a lot of ships have pulled out of there.

But I'd do it again in a heartbeat, if it came back.

And they've come back. Princess has two ships based in LA for the winter, Carnival has added one for the short cruises, NCL is back and we see other lines seasonally.

This seems like the quest they made to bring a big ship to CA. They put the Mariner out there. It didn't last. They couldn't make $ and were deep discounting the fares to fill the ship.

I don't think RCCL ever did RT Hawaii. It was one-way. And I can say after having been on both RCCL (twice) and Princess Hawaii cruises - RCCL should stick with the transpacific ones and not do it on a regular basis. Our last one on the Radiance this past spring was boring on sea days. Couldn't imagine how they would perform doing RT like Princess.

As others mentioned about New Orleans - RCCL has pulled out multiple times. I'm hoping they come back. Love cruising out of there on RCCL. I tried Carnival out of there after they left. It wasn't very good.

The only cruises I like out of CA are the California Coastal ones starting in San Francisco. That's on Princess. If RCCL does that I would be interested.

RCI has done the RT Hawaii cruises from LA with Serenade and Radiance, maybe other ships as well. There are all sorts of reasons why they left, but I've never understood their pulling out of the 3-4 night market. The 3-nighters made enough money to hit the budget for a full week (or so I was told by more than one hotel director who presumably sees the numbers). And they introduce the 40 million or so people who live in the western US to the concept of cruising. I think that RCI is likely operating with a razor thin margin for error, given all of the new builds and accompanying debt, so they can't afford the "lose money to make money" philosophy that seems to make sense. I've no idea if Princess, et al., make money, but I have to believe that they do. Otherwise they'd have left again.

I still prefer RCI to Princess by a whisker, but if we have to sail on Princess to get that quick fix cruise, we're happy to do it.

The petition now has 76 signatures and 261 views. I'm still not sure if that is a typical conversion ratio.

FWIW, the three ships available for Spring 2017 Mexico voyages charge more than Royals ships in Galveston, San Juan and Tampa for the same week.

Below are prices for an inside cabin, first week of March 2017

LA - Carnival Miracle $698

LA - Ruby Princess $659

LA - NCL Jewel $786 (6 nights)

TX - Liberty of the Seas $563

SJ - Jewel of the Seas $689

Tampa - Rhapsody $610

SJ - Adventure $786

I was surprised that Adventure was more expensive than Jewel

The petition now has 76 signatures and 261 views. I'm still not sure if that is a typical conversion ratio.

FWIW, the three ships available for Spring 2017 Mexico voyages charge more than Royals ships in Galveston, San Juan and Tampa for the same week.

Below are prices for an inside cabin, first week of March 2017

LA - Carnival Miracle $698

LA - Ruby Princess $659

LA - NCL Jewel $786 (6 nights)

TX - Liberty of the Seas $563

SJ - Jewel of the Seas $689

Tampa - Rhapsody $610

SJ - Adventure $786

I was surprised that Adventure was more expensive than Jewel

I like your investigative work! I am betting that RCCL has looked at this thread at least once (based on another thread that is ongoing now ;) ). Lets hope that this keeps the "bug" in their ear.