Hotels in Tampa for March Cruise

123Funcruiser456

Asking for help again: is the Embassy Tampa Airport Westshore a decent hotel (referred by neighbor)?

Is it close to pier and is there a charge (cost?) or is there a hotel shuttle?

Is it close to the airport, is there a shuttle or charge to get there?

Thanks again for any help...........................looking forward to answers to my questions, as this community is quite knowledgeable!

Francis :)

Not sure about the hotel you listed. Looks like it has very good reviews but $$$$ for me at least. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point. There is also a Hampton Inn there as well. I would recommend either of these places. They are VERY close to the airport but NOT really close to the cruise port downtown. H.I.E did have a shuttle that will pick you up at the airport and take you to the hotel (and other places within a certain radius) and also the cruise port and pick you up after the cruise is over. Im about 100% positive Hampton Inn does too.

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/tampa/tpaap/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-EX-_-USA-_-TPAAP

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hampton-inn-tampa-rocky-point-airport-TPARPHX/index.html

Edited by ryano

Nice :) I love Hilton Garden Inn. I would choose that over the two I posted if the price isnt that much different.

Edited by ryano

If you are looking for some night life before your cruise, I recommend the Hampton Ybor. Walking distance to everything. Depending on what side of the hotel you are on, you can see the ships. They do have a shuttle.

The airport and port are not near each other, so any hotel could be close to one or the other but not both. Rocky Point is nice to get a bay view, not near the port, but not a great place to walk around if you have no car. Ybor City is good for walking around, shops and restaurants and bars, closer to the port although it's not withing walking distance. Channelside area, the Marriott Waterside would be the closest to the port. The Westshore area has a mall with restaurants.

Edited by sr4mjc

Nice :) I love Hilton Garden Inn. I would choose that over the two I posted if the price isnt that much different.

+1 on the Hilton Garden Inn. Walk to Ybor City for dinner. It's a GREAT place.

We've stayed there 6 times now.

The Embassy in Westshore is not close to the port. There is an Embassy Suites downtown across from the Convention Center that is much closer. It is a great hotel! There is also the Marriott Waterside close by. Both are relatively close to the Pier. There is a streetcar line that runs from Downtown (next to the hotels I mentioned) past the pier and on to Ybor City. There are tons of places to eat in Ybor City. If you've never been, The Columbia is the place to go. It is the oldest restaurant in Florida. Tons of night life options in Ybor as well.

The streetcar is quite inexpensive and incredibly convenient. If you are looking for a place closer to the pier, and you are looking in the price range of the Embassy Westshore, the Marriott Waterside and Embassy Suites Convention Center are where I would look.

Asking for help again: is the Embassy Tampa Airport Westshore a decent hotel (referred by neighbor)?

Is it close to pier and is there a charge (cost?) or is there a hotel shuttle?

Is it close to the airport, is there a shuttle or charge to get there?

The Embassy Suites Tampa Airport is perfectly fine. We used to live a few blocks from there and have put family and friends up there. That being said, it's not in a picturesque location. You'll be overlooking the highway or various corporate offices.

As others have stated, it is not close to the pier. With no traffic it's about a 15 minute ride to the port. An Uber would run under $20 in regular traffic. I do not know if the hotel offers a pay shuttle to the pier.

It is close to the airport (about 10 min) and they definitely do offer a free shuttle to the airport. Our family members have used it and had no issues.

If you got a good price and aren't hugely into nightlife, it's not a bad place to stay for a night pre-cruise. You can walk to the Westshore Plaza mall which has several restaurants across all budget ranges. The hotel will also offer you a free shuttle to International Plaza mall which is just a mile up the road. That's an upscale mall nice for window shopping with lots and lots of dining options.

Thanks for replies. It appears that one can have 1 option or the other w/close to airport/pier. Will do more research and mke decision soon.................

Francis :)

Yeah, I think you have to choose which option is most important to you.

We flew into Orlando bc it was a direct flight vs Tampa, rented a car through our warehouse membership place and stayed at the Double Tree in Rocky Point. I attached a link to my review from 2013. The very first post has a couple pics of the room. But be warned, the drop off for the car was at a hotel near the port and it was extremely busy! Then they had a shuttle from there to the port. But the car was only $30 to rent.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1953119

Edited by erby2283

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my issue with booking out in Rocky Point area...traffic can be nuts crazy no movement...OR..bada bing. .traffic "tends" to be slow super slow or I better call my boss. And all roads go thru DOWNTOWN

I prefer Embassy Suites...oh and by the way..WHO EVER you book with CONFIRM round trip to and from port ...tons of hotels only do one way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app