Currently on Navigator.

cinnamon

We sailed from Southampton on Sunday and have just docked (a bit early due to a medical emergency) in Gibraltar, our first port. I have internet minutes for a few more hours. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

I am not intending to write a full live blog as in the past because we only have 2x48 hour internet packages with our D+ status rather than the 15 or so minutes per day we used to use. Speeds much improved though. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cinnamon

We were on Navigator in May and had a great cruise, had the same internet thing, we did it by using each 24hr starting at noon each day and then missing a day out before using another 24hrs. We did notice that towards the end of the cruise there were offers on the internet, last but one day we managed to get 40hrs internet offered for once 24hr voucher.

Hope you are having a good cruise so far, I've been tracking you for the last couple of days as my parents are on board with you. They did sign up for the meet and mingle so you may have met them.

Dad is a reluctant internet user so even though I explained the 24 hours to him (they are D so get one each), I don't really expect to hear from them.

I'll follow along to hear your thoughts,

Julie

Don't think I met your parents Julie.

We have a wonderful large balcony on the aft, deck 10. Unfortunately we can't use it today as there are 4 men out there bashing metal, presumably in preparation of re-painting it. Very noisy. :(

The food has been very good and the entertainment excellent. Our last 4 Royal cruises have all been on Radiance & Vision which are much smaller. It seems the budget for Headliner acts must be greater on here as they are certainly a step up from recent trips we've taken.

Cinnamon, what is your dining option, we have our first Royal cruise next year on Navigator with MTD. On Celebrity we do the same and generally opt for a table for 6 or 8 as we enjoy mixing with other passengers, but reading some recent reviews I get the impression that the upper tier MTD part of the Sapphire dining room has mainly tables for 2, and wait times can be expected.

I am not intending to write a full live blog as in the past because we only have 2x48 hour internet packages with our D+ status rather than the 15 or so minutes per day we used to use. Speeds much improved though. :)

You can use one person's D+ internet credits to cover the cost of a balance of the cruise internet package for the last four days onboard. This will provide double the days for those credits and you'll have internet from the morning of your Cadiz stop onward at no cost which includes the two sea days returning to Southampton.

This is what DW and I have done since the new internet options started. One of us use one our D+ benefit credits to get two 24 hours continuous periods early in our cruises and for the other to use their D+ benefits with a package for the balance of the cruise after the two 24 hours continuous periods were up. The second D+ credits will cover the cost of 4 days of the package. The multi-day package daily cost is half that of the single 24 hours period cost so each D+ member's credits gives two 2 days coverage with the multi-day package for a total of four days. The multi-day package must be for the balance of days remaining on your cruise.

Remember each day is for 24 continuous hours thus went into the next day so we also skipped a day or two between the 24 hrs continuous periods and also between the second 24 hrs period and the start of our package since we didn't need access all the time onboard since all we mainly do is check for emails to keep in contact with family and friends and light web surfing . We also take into consideration where we can get land based Wi-Fi internet including just prior to boarding.

Edited by robtulipe

How strict were they with boarding times at Southampton? We are on Navigator next month and have been given a boarding time of 14.15pm but would prefer to be onboard much earlier than that. Thinking of going down earlier but not sure if they will let us on or turn us away. Would appreciate your view on this.

How strict were they with boarding times at Southampton? We are on Navigator next month and have been given a boarding time of 14.15pm but would prefer to be onboard much earlier than that. Thinking of going down earlier but not sure if they will let us on or turn us away. Would appreciate your view on this.

I know the feeling. Our flight gets in rather early in Southampton and we don't want to be hanging around for hours with our bags!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know the feeling. Our flight gets in rather early in Southampton and we don't want to be hanging around for hours with our bags!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They're not usually too strict - I've had early afternoon times on my boarding info before and been in line at 10.30 to check in with no problems :)

Carol

Seen various posts on the forum lately about hard mattresses etc. Just wondering what the quality is on the Navigator as we are on there for a b2b in December.

Yes! I find the mattress very hard. :(. There are no egg crate toppers any more as they cannot be sanitized. Our steward put an extra duvet under the sheet but it hasn't helped much.

Afraid I don't know if they were strict. We arrived at 10.50 and embarked at 11.10 but we are on deck 10, so it was our assigned time anyway.

Cinnamon, what is your dining option, we have our first Royal cruise next year on Navigator with MTD. On Celebrity we do the same and generally opt for a table for 6 or 8 as we enjoy mixing with other passengers, but reading some recent reviews I get the impression that the upper tier MTD part of the Sapphire dining room has mainly tables for 2, and wait times can be expected.

Having had a few bad experiences of MTD we opted for Main seating this time but it is really too early. We are having 5 meals out of 13 in Specialty restaurants.

We are on a table for 8 but many people eat in the buffet frequently and just don't show up in the MDR.

There was a queue for MTD when we passed around 7.40 this evening.

We have a wonderful large balcony on the aft, deck 10. Unfortunately we can't use it today as there are 4 men out there bashing metal, presumably in preparation of re-painting it. Very noisy. :(

What is your cabin number? We will be on the Navigator in April (TA from Miami to Southampton) and have booked #1394, which is a JS on Deck 10.