Traditional Dining Question - Table for 2

LHARTWICK

It's been a while since we've done TD on RCCL. We'd like a table for 2 each night (no flogging please - this is what we enjoy). I've looked in our reservation information, but no where does it indicate what type of table we'll be assigned to. Do we request a table for 2 on the first night when we arrive at the traditional dining room or do I need to request one prior to boarding via e-mail? We sail on October 9, so I'm not sure if it's too late to place a request. Any advice is appreciated. :)

It's been a while since we've done TD on RCCL. We'd like a table for 2 each night (no flogging please - this is what we enjoy). I've looked in our reservation information, but no where does it indicate what type of table we'll be assigned to. Do we request a table for 2 on the first night when we arrive at the traditional dining room or do I need to request one prior to boarding via e-mail? We sail on October 9, so I'm not sure if it's too late to place a request. Any advice is appreciated. :)

I appreciate the fact that you felt obligated to add the "no flogging please". I respect the question, and I do similar, but it won't stop the people who want to do it anyway, with a million users here a few thousand feel obligated to comment.

Getting back to your question, call crown and anchor and give them your preference. That increases the odds you will get what you want. That usually works for us. (But we are the opposite and ask for a large table) That is one reason one of my embarkation traditions is to walk through the dining room early in the day and check out where our table is.

With all that said, I verified we had the request for our large table for our last Oasis cruise. I booked it 14 months ahead and suspected I would get my request. Showed up for dinner and we had a table for 2 :) Best laid plans as they say. Enjoy your cruise.

I emailed and requested a table for 3 for our family. I received a response back confirming our table for 4 (since they don't have 3).

We are introverts so being on a ship with people everywhere, socializing all day we look forward to a family meal at the end of the day where there is no pressure to have to socialize with others.

Different strokes for different folks!

I always email RCLdining@rccl.com and request it a few weeks before sailing. In my case it is for social anxiety reasons. I have always received a table with just our party. Just in case, when you board head straight to the restaurant and find the table you have been assigned. If it is not a 2-top, speak to the maitre d as soon as possible and request to be changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I definitely respect the ask for a 2 person table, ive had my fair share of bad table mates that make for a lousy week. Sometimes the people are lovely but show up 15 - 30 minutes late and it becomes super awkward ordering, eating while the others are just looking at the menu. Other times i have been sat with Drunks wearing shorts and tank tops and the head waiter absolutely refuses to do anything about it after multiple nights of addressing the issue. When you are on a cruise to spend time with someone you still talk to (hehehe) I dont find it odd at all.

Been cruising since 2003 and my wife and I mainly had dinners in the MDR; occasionally having dinner in one of the specialty restaurants. We are not snobs or anti-social, but prefer to dine by ourselves. We've always requested, (mind you, requested) a table for two in the MDR and have always been successful. I recall on our very first cruise, they sat us with a table for 12. On the way out, we spoke to the restaurant manager, requesting a table for two, and the next night, we had it. On our last cruise we had a table for two by a window, very nice, BUT...at the next table, there was a young lady, who wouldn't shut up, yak, yak, yak all thru the dinner; and loud! I asked if we could change tables, and again, was successful.

The key is, be polite, ask and you will be successful. ;)

Love you guys - thank you so much for the support! Yes - we've had some tables for two by windows. So nice! Even after 27 years of marriage, hubby and I can still have great conversation. And even if we have little to say, it's okay, too. Usually too tired by the end of a great cruise day anyway!

Marti315: We've had the not so great tablemates as well back during our first few cruises when we sat wherever we were assigned, usually at larger tables. Most people are pleasant, but others are quite offensive and rude. Makes for a not so enjoyable dinner for sure. Having said that, I sure won't knock anyone for preferring larger tables. We all like what we like and that's okay! :)

E-mail your request to "rcldining@rccl.com." They will forward your request to the Maitre D of the specific ship and usually the request is accommodated. On our Aug. 25th cruise requested a table for 2 by window and got a nice table with a view. By the way, we've been so disappointed with the lack of diners on a large table, that we go with the table for 2.

Ps. As soon as you board, go to the dining room and look up your assigned table, and if not to your liking, go see the Maitre D that is usually available to accomodate diner's change requests.

We always request a table for two when we book our Cruise. I also do a follow up email to RCCL about two weeks prior to our sailing date. Email your request to rcldining@rccl.com. Include in your request your names, ship, sail date, reservation numbers, and specify you want Traditional Dining, early or late seating and a table for two. I also include our Crown and Anchor Numbers and cabin number but they'll find you by your reservation number. Once we board the ship we go directly to the dining room and check out our table and location. At that time if you have any issues with table size or location you can speak with the Maitre' D about it who will be located by the dining room entrance.

Edited by davekathy

For those who are new to cruising, it's important to note that a two-top isn't like a two-top at a local restaurant. These small tables are placed parallel to one another ... with only about 12" between them. The waiter cannot walk between the tables; he has to walk around the whole "group" of two-tops. You're literally as close to other diners as if you were seated at a large table; however, good manners seems to dictate that you behave as if you're at a separate table; that is, you're not obligated -- or even allowed -- to make conversation with the folks at the next table, even though you could easily reach out and touch them. It's odd.

If you really want to sit at a private table, you'd do better to go to the Windjammer for dinner, where fewer people will be dining and you can choose a nice comfy booth or a table apart from others ... though that is a whole different atmosphere and brings up a whole new set of questions.

Edited by MrsPete

For those who are new to cruising, it's important to note that a two-top isn't like a two-top at a local restaurant. These small tables are placed parallel to one another ... with only about 12" between them. The waiter cannot walk between the tables; he has to walk around the whole "group" of two-tops. You're literally as close to other diners as if you were seated at a large table; however, good manners seems to dictate that you behave as if you're at a separate table; that is, you're not obligated -- or even allowed -- to make conversation with the folks at the next table, even though you could easily reach out and touch them. It's odd.

If you really want to sit at a private table, you'd do better to go to the Windjammer for dinner, where fewer people will be dining and you can choose a nice comfy booth or a table apart from others ... though that is a whole different atmosphere and brings up a whole new set of questions.

What ship might you be referring to?? We has always had two toppers, and no one was ever that close to us.. We couldn't reach out and touch anyone, much less carry on a conversation with another table.. Just curious..

What ship might you be referring to?? We has always had two toppers, and no one was ever that close to us.. We couldn't reach out and touch anyone, much less carry on a conversation with another table.. Just curious..

On the Quantum sail we sat at a table for 2 in all 4 restaurants, and there were pax on our left & our right. No big problems as MrsPete is indicating. Met/spoke to so many nice folks. By the way, on our recent Anthem cruise there were a lot of tables that were converted to 2 for breakfast & lunch and still not a problem as MrsPete is talking about.

For those who are new to cruising, it's important to note that a two-top isn't like a two-top at a local restaurant. These small tables are placed parallel to one another ... with only about 12" between them.

This varies from ship to ship. On our cruise back in May w/PCL, these type of tables were in the dining room, but there were also tables for two that "stood alone" and weren't close to others. On some of our previous CCL cruises, we had true tables for two, and many times were fortunate enough to be seated by the window. From reading many recent RCCL reviews for our upcoming 10/9 cruise, we plan to avoid the Windjammer as much as possible. The food quality gets horrible reviews. We will probably only eat in there when we need to grab a quick breakfast prior to the two excursions we have planned. Some friends just returned from this same cruise, and they did the same.

I definitely respect the ask for a 2 person table, ive had my fair share of bad table mates that make for a lousy week.

Bad table mates makes for a fun thread here at times. If the OP will forgive me for changing topics, since his question was answered, in 12 cruises I've had no bad table mates.

Our first cruise we met a wonderful couple from Sweden. They were on the left. The middle couple from Chicago was great too. We had a great week. PS, don't tell my wife I posted this, she is 150 pounds thinner now

table.jpg

Our 2nd cruise was a 3 day on Majesty and a lot of people skip the MDR. We were at a table for 10 and we were the only ones to show up so we had a really big table for 2. It ended up great as the table next to us shared the same wait team. That was a family of 2 parents, 2 kids, and 4 grandparents. The two grandmothers (one resembling Jabba the hut with a straw hat) were the most obnoxious demanding people. The wait staff catered to us and avoided them. That is the closest we have come to obnoxious table mates (5 ft) :)

2008 another great table with a newlwed Irish couple and another couple from Chicago. Again, don't tell my wife, she lost 150lbs in the 18 months after this cruise.

thdinner.jpg

Cruise #4 we invited my sister and husband and had a table of the 4 of us.

I don't have a picture of the 4 of us, but here is my thinner wife :)

1stnightdinner.jpg

5 th cruise, back on Majesty, Table for 6, one couple was in our roll call, again had fun.

2011 on Allure, they put us at table for 4, the other couple never came back after the first night. I swear it wasn't us. I think there was 30 years between their ages and maybe they felt self conscious.

2012, we invited another couple to cruise with us on Jewel, we were at a table for 8. With us was an older couple from Northern Island, and again a couple from Chicago. Great time.

2013, Back on Allure, here we were at a table for 8. On the first night, people were introducing themselves. One couple from California were great people. The 2nd couple from Seattle, all she said was, "We asked for a table for 2" and never spoke. I think they changed for table 2. The remaining people were a father/son combo from Las Vegas, Really nice people, but they ordered every appetizer, main course, and dessert, really slowed things down.

2014, great tablemates which was good because the service was so slow.

It was us, our friends, and two other couples.

2015, we were with a couple from NY and her mom. Had a great time. On the last night, our anniverary, we ate at Chops, but joined them for a drink at the table after dinner.

2016 back on Oasis, asked for a big table, was put at a table for 2, but another couple was at a table for 2 which was so close it might have well been a table for 4. My only problem there was the husband was so softspoken I had a hard time hearing them.

Ok, that was unsolicited, do with it what you want! :D

BillOH - Thanks for your post - very enjoyable!! :) You've been blessed with great tablemates for sure. And congrats to your wife - 150 lbs! That is awesome!! I don't know her, but I really admire her for doing that. Giver her a hug for me!

One reason for me personally not wanting to sit at a larger table is we are from the south, and apparently we have a serious southern drawl, although I don't notice it being nearly as strong as others we've met from the south. People REALLY make fun of us for it - some people get really nasty about it. Just doesn't make for a pleasant dining atmosphere. I mean, come on - we don't make fun of people who talk differently from us. Everyone is from where they are from, and some things just come natural. It's who we are, and we are all different. (Sorry for the rant!)

Back to my original question - I've received a note from RCCL that says they will pass along my request to the ship.

We have been on several ships where the 2 tops are so close together that they might as well have been a table for 4 but I don't recall which ones.

Agree and that has always been our experience with all the two tops we've had. Our tables also have always been in great locations in the MDR.

Edited by davekathy

I have been on ships were there is plenty of room between the tables for 2, especially if you ask for one by the window. I have also been where they are very close and no, you should not feel obligated to speak to your neighbors, but in my view it is good manners to acknowledge your neighbor. Sometimes conversations will follow other times not. Depends on both parties. I am not sure why you would say that you are " not allowed" to make conversation. That's odd to me.

Also you shouldn't have to go the Windjammer just to get a table on your own.

One reason for me personally not wanting to sit at a larger table is we are from the south, and apparently we have a serious southern drawl, although I don't notice it being nearly as strong as others we've met from the south. .

You need to sit with us, I use to be a southern translator! I had a customer, ITT Royal Electric, they had a plant in Pawtucket, RI and another is Muscle Shoals, AL. i use to get on conference calls with both and I had to translate both ways. :D

Edited by BillOh

For me it depends on who I am cruising with. If I'm with my bf, he's very shy and doesn't really like trying to converse with people he doesn't know.

If I'm cruising with girlfriends, we love meeting new people. In fact, on our last girls cruise out of Charleston, everyone at our table ended up living in Charlotte and I noticed that one guy looked really familiar. His friend said, "Well he should, he's your sheriff, didn't you vote for him?" :eek:

Question though. I sent an email a couple months ago to the rcldining address and received a response to write her back 2-3 prior to sailing. So I did that yesterday and she responded saying that she forwarded my request to the vessel. So my question is, will I can an additional confirmation that my request was successful or was that it (just that it was sent to the vessel)?