Galapagos - lindblad vs. Celebrity

Consensus on this board seems to be that if you're picking Lindblad, pick Endeavour and not Islander:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2001180

Warmest Feb/March, tapering on either side, but never cold:

http://www.detourdestinations.com/blog/2013/03/what-is-the-water-temperature-in-the-galapagos-islands

Edited by Shawnino
typo

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from touring the Galapagos on the NG Endeavor. We sailed the Galapagos with Celebrity in 2007. Comparing our two experiences, we found the Lindblad ship offered more snorkeling opportunities and seemed to keep us busier than Celebrity. Of course, we are 7 years older too:). Lindblad offered a Junior Ranger Program, zodiac driving lesson (issuing a drivers license) and a pizza and movie night for our Grandchildren. My vote would go to Lindblad if kids are involved. Lindblad offered the ROV camera, but I only remembered it being used one time. Still, it was interesting. The nightly recaps seemed to be more of a learning experience than Celebrity's, but in an entertaining way. Lindblad's glass bottomed boat was a draw for my non-snorkeling hubby, but he said it was more of a seasick experience. Many passengers shared his opinion, so I wouldn't let the availability of that feature sway your decision. We had read on these Boards to be prepared for less than great dining experiences. All 6 of us in our group, including the kids and picky son-in-law, found the food to be really good, not 5 star, but consistently much much better than I have experienced on several of the large cruise ships, who aren't operating within the constraints of using locally sourced foods.

Our kids and grandkids went home after the Galapagos, while my hubby and I took the extension to Macchu Picchu.

Feel free to ask any more specific questions about our experience.

• 2 months later...
We just returned from touring the Galapagos on the NG Endeavor. We sailed the Galapagos with Celebrity in 2007. Comparing our two experiences, we found the Lindblad ship offered more snorkeling opportunities and seemed to keep us busier than Celebrity. Of course, we are 7 years older too:). Lindblad offered a Junior Ranger Program, zodiac driving lesson (issuing a drivers license) and a pizza and movie night for our Grandchildren. My vote would go to Lindblad if kids are involved. Lindblad offered the ROV camera, but I only remembered it being used one time. Still, it was interesting. The nightly recaps seemed to be more of a learning experience than Celebrity's, but in an entertaining way. Lindblad's glass bottomed boat was a draw for my non-snorkeling hubby, but he said it was more of a seasick experience. Many passengers shared his opinion, so I wouldn't let the availability of that feature sway your decision. We had read on these Boards to be prepared for less than great dining experiences. All 6 of us in our group, including the kids and picky son-in-law, found the food to be really good, not 5 star, but consistently much much better than I have experienced on several of the large cruise ships, who aren't operating within the constraints of using locally sourced foods.

Our kids and grandkids went home after the Galapagos, while my hubby and I took the extension to Macchu Picchu.

Feel free to ask any more specific questions about our experience.

I have to agree with this. I have sailed with Lindblad twice and Celebrity several times.We just returned from Galapagos on Xpedition and were disappointed. There was just too much down time. They started tours at eight and then we hung around the ship sometimes until four for our next tour. There was nothing special for children as I have seen on my two trips with Lindblad (Antarctica and Baja). There was so much down time between the two excursions that dinner was not completed until 9:30--much too late for the kids.Also, at least thirty people were ill (fever, vomiting). On our last night at the Marriott more people were ill. Lindblad may be more expensive but if you can find a "friend-two or more cruises", I think you can get the 10% discount plus 500 dollars off for each child.

@Seahorse Lover: I'm so glad the food was good on Endeavour. As I'd written, that was the one disgusting element on Islander. Food has no business overshadowing a Lindblad trip, and I'm so glad it didn't detract from yours.

May I ask how many meals were plated and how many were buffet?

Were there local options at every meal?

(That's what would have saved our trip: the Ecuadorean cuisine was absolutely outstanding, but aside from the occasional soup, it only appeared once. If we had had the option of food the kitchen knew how to cook, "brutal" dining would have become "beautiful" instantly.)

All of our breakfasts and lunches were buffet. The first night the dinner was also buffet, but after that dinners were served. After breakfast you would sign up for one of three dinner selections on a signup sheet outside of the dining room. We soon found out that you could signup for a half portion, which my husband and I did. That was plenty of food for us! People filtered in for breakfast at different times, so the line was never long. Soup was served to you at lunch, so people finished that at different times or declined, thus the rush to the buffet wasn't too bad. Each of the buffet items were labeled, so you knew what you were getting. You are correct, Shawnino, the Ecuadorian selections were great, but even US type foods were prepared well, in our opinion. We sampled so many new to us foods and enjoyed all but a couple. I can't call my son-in-law a picky eater anymore. He (and I) were concerned he wouldn't find enough to eat that he liked, but he was pleasantly pleased with the selections and variety. Our grandkids were fairly adventuresome also, sometimes with not great results. Eventually they pretty much settled on the kids' menu with typical crowd pleasers, for dinner and did their experimenting at the buffets, where they could see what they were getting, so as not to waste food.

We also enjoyed the appetizers at the nightly wrap up sessions. Having an adult beverage and some munchies was a great transition to dinner.

Happy sailing!!!

@Seahorse Lover,

Thanks for the careful description! I'm so glad to read that the food on your trip was good. The mechanics, if not the quality, were largely the same when we went on Islander (soup served at lunch, sign-up sheet for dinner...) but we had plated meals only three nights.

• 3 months later...

We felt that the educational sessions, additional activities and more snorkeling opportunities were worth the extra money for our family. Also, the children's activities for our grandchildren were a plus. That being said, what is important is different for each individual.

Happy sailing!!! You'll love the Galapagos whichever company you choose.

• 2 weeks later...
There is a significant difference in price between Lindblad and Celebrity.

Is Lindblad worth this difference?

Thank you.

Yes, especially with children. Look for specials- 10% off , free airfare, children under 18 get 500 dollars off their fare on every cruise, something off if traveling with a group, etc.