Fuel Surcharges

chrisruthsmith

Hi

We're doing a long voyage on QE in 2018 and I'm a little concerned about the possible fuel surcharges looking at the £ vs $.

Does anyone know whether Cunard still would charge a fuel surchage and set a max per cabin (as they seemed to do in 2012) or whether it would just be percentage.

I loooked in the T&Cs and it stated that anything above 10% passengers would have a right to cancel.

Finally, have done an Google search there seems to be some mixed messages. Some say that the fuel surchage is in only applied on booking other state that is can be applied at any time

Any pointers?

Chris

Edited by chrisruthsmith

Hi chrisruthsmith,

As far as I know, Cunard do not currently have an active policy concerning fuel supplements. In Cunard brochures through the 2014 voyage season, this standard verbiage can be found in the "General Information" section at the back of the brochures.

Fuel Supplement

Cunard reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement of up to $9 per person per day (maximum of $300) on all passengers if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel, even if fares have been paid in full.

I cannot find this verbiage in any brochures from 2015 on. This is what leads me to the conclusion that Cunard no longer have a stated fuel supplement policy. They could certainly reinstate a fuel supplement policy in the future if the price of oil rises. If that were to happen, I suppose the policy would be something along the lines of the policy stated above, but that is just speculation on my part.

Of course if I am wrong about this and Cunard do indeed have a current fuel supplement policy stated somewhere, I will gladly stand corrected.

Regards,

John

Hi

We're doing a long voyage on QE in 2018 and I'm a little concerned about the possible fuel surcharges looking at the £ vs $.

Does anyone know whether Cunard still would charge a fuel surchage and set a max per cabin (as they seemed to do in 2012) or whether it would just be percentage.

I loooked in the T&Cs and it stated that anything above 10% passengers would have a right to cancel.

Finally, have done an Google search there seems to be some mixed messages. Some say that the fuel surchage is in only applied on booking other state that is can be applied at any time

Any pointers?

Chris

It seems to go into effect when the price reaches $70/barrel. It's about $50 right now. You should be fine.

Hi chrisruthsmith,

As far as I know, Cunard do not currently have an active policy concerning fuel supplements. In Cunard brochures through the 2014 voyage season, this standard verbiage can be found in the "General Information" section at the back of the brochures.

Fuel Supplement

Cunard reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement of up to $9 per person per day (maximum of $300) on all passengers if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel, even if fares have been paid in full.

I cannot find this verbiage in any brochures from 2015 on. This is what leads me to the conclusion that Cunard no longer have a stated fuel supplement policy. They could certainly reinstate a fuel supplement policy in the future if the price of oil rises. If that were to happen, I suppose the policy would be something along the lines of the policy stated above, but that is just speculation on my part.

Of course if I am wrong about this and Cunard do indeed have a current fuel supplement policy stated somewhere, I will gladly stand corrected.

Regards,

John

My research mirrors bluemarble's comments. (Not that he needed a second source.) -S