Captain Hashmi on BBC Radio 4

Host Hattie

I often catch this programme when I'm driving home or just when I get home. Interestingly, the presenter, John Lloyd, was the "star" speaker during the Queen Elizabeth voyage we took to Madeira and the Canaries last September: Captain Hashmi was onboard at the time so I wonder whether the invitation to appear was extended to him then.

I've sailed twice with Aseem Hashmi - the first time was 2013 when he was deputy captain to Chris Wells. We took the behind the scenes tour and he spoke to us on the forward mooring deck about its operations. The second was last September. He's a great public speaker and very relaxed in both formal and informal situations. He really seemed completely at ease - and to enjoy - speaking to passengers around the ship. I was really impressed that he came into the Commodore Club on the last night and spent some time talking to the guests there. I'd say that he's been the most visible of the captains I've sailed with over the last few years (the list includes captains Wells, Thorhauge and Oprey - the latter being the least heard or seen).

To be quite frank, the identity of the ship's captain has really never been of too much interest to me. I presume that they are all qualified, highly trained and skilled, until, I met Captain Hashmi. What a great guy. Approachable and friendly to a degree that I have never found in any other Captain.

I have not one single complaint or criticism of any of the Captains or the Commodore on the Cunard ships, but Captain Hashmi is a remarkable man and makes the cruise that littlie bit more enjoyable by his style.

I heard him on Radio 4 and he was equally as amusing, intelligent and articulate on the radio as he is when in command of his ship.

David

Captain Hashmi was Master on QE during the World Cruise last year; he is quite extraordinary in every way-we were extremely fortunate. A very fine man. :)

Is he Master on the QE on this years World Cruise, and if not do you know who is? We are doing the sector from Singapore to Cape Town.