Tea making facilities in QM2 staterooms

Devon Bloke

As the Stereotypical Brit who loves his morning cuppa before communicating with (a) hubbie and (b) the rest of humanity, I am really pleased to note that Cunard have finally got tea making facilities in the staterooms - something I always missed on my previous Cunard cruises.

Questions:

(a) Are the tea bags, sugar n milk supplies replinished every day by the cabin steward?

(b) Do people often take tea bags etc from Kings Court back to their cabins?

Cheers :)

As the Stereotypical Brit who loves his morning cuppa before communicating with (a) hubbie and (b) the rest of humanity, I am really pleased to note that Cunard have finally got tea making facilities in the staterooms - something I always missed on my previous Cunard cruises.

Questions:

(a) Are the tea bags, sugar n milk supplies replinished every day by the cabin steward?

(b) Do people often take tea bags etc from Kings Court back to their cabins?

Cheers :)

Yes, to both of your questions. We were aboard for the Caribbean voyage at the end of November/beginning of December and did use the kettle, though we found that it takes space we'd rather use for our red wines :). I did take a few Assam tea bags to use in the cabin. However, ordering room service for breakfast is far superior as I prefer having the metal teapot to brew more than one cup at a time. BTW, it was convenient to retain the small room service milk container in the fridge for a cuppa later in the day. All in all, I think you will be satisfied!

We would order milk from room service or bring down a glass of milk from Kings Court in the evening so that we had more than the meagre amount given in the tiny UHT capsules. Our steward replenished all the supplies daily and I am sure that if there was a lack, a polite note would see it remedied promptly.

As much as I liked the idea of the kettle in our cabin (QM2 Nov/Dec Caribbean cruise), it is one more thing for the cabin steward to clean in a very short period of time, and I'm not sure how they clean the kettle. There was rust and a small amount standing water in our kettle upon embarkation. So I would suggest rinsing out the kettle and maybe boiling some water to clean the kettle prior to making tea/coffee.

On the upside: those chocolate biscuits supplied on the tea tray were very tasty. :-)

Edited by Salacia

Interesting that you found rust in the kettle Salacia as they haven't been provided for very long.

I didn't do a chemistry test, so I can't swear to you it was rust, but it looked like rust. I don't know how long it takes rust to form on inexpensive metal- maybe it was just tomato sauce, except it didn't wash or boil off. No doubt, just a one off, and everyone else will have a happy kettle. Pay no attention to my suggestion of cleaning it before use. Enjoy!

Edited to add: Please see https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=485 - Now we all know more about rust formation :-)

Edited by Salacia

I didn't do a chemistry test, so I can't swear to you it was rust, but it looked like rust. I don't know how long it takes rust to form on inexpensive metal- maybe it was just tomato sauce, except it didn't wash or boil off. No doubt, just a one off, and everyone else will have a happy kettle. Pay no attention to my suggestion of cleaning it before use. Enjoy!

Edited to add: Please see https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=485 - Now we all know more about rust formation :-)

LOL - I do not doubt that you found rust (either that or something else untoward) - sounds like they are cheap kettles :D

Is it possible to brew coffee in those kettles?

While I like tea, I prefer coffee first thing in the morning.

That's what Salacia's rust was then, someone tried to make coffee in it.

No Vic, it's just for boiling water.

DAVID.

It would be a horrible surprise for the next occupant of your stateroom to get a mouthful of coffee flavored tea! The strong taste of coffee is hard to remove from a pot.

... Pay no attention to my suggestion of cleaning it before use. Enjoy!

Salacia, that is good advice to clean a kettle by boiling water once before use. I do that in every hotel that provides a kettle. Very few hotels in Canada provide a kettle (they seem to think we are going to make tea with their coffee makers:() but every hotel we have stayed at in Britain does.

• 1 month later...

Dear The Parrot,

Ahoy Garden Stater friend!

What is nice having the abilities to make your choice of beverage..eh.. Not like George Washington as he had the largest Distillery but made his own money from fish and fish eggs.. the ones which flow up our undamed major river in New Jersey on the peninsula.. The South River /Delaware.

Shad Roe it was /is.

I myself appreciate a nice cupa Earl Grey and at anytime of day on that Arab drink , my fav is American Coffee KONA..:-)

It would be a horrible surprise for the next occupant of your stateroom to get a mouthful of coffee flavored tea! The strong taste of coffee is hard to remove from a pot.

I'll keep that in mind.

I won't use it for coffee, then.

Thanks for your input. :)

Mrs Gut takes her own makings, but having the kettle saved me some trips to the buffet for hot water.

It serves it's purpose, then.

Looks like I'll be the one that goes up to the buffet for coffee. But it doesn't matter ... it'll ensure I get my butt out of bed, leave the cabin, and seek out my first caffeine fix for the day. :cool:

Dear The Parrot,

Ahoy Garden Stater friend!

What is nice having the abilities to make your choice of beverage..eh.. Not like George Washington as he had the largest Distillery but made his own money from fish and fish eggs.. the ones which flow up our undamed major river in New Jersey on the peninsula.. The South River /Delaware.

Shad Roe it was /is.

I myself appreciate a nice cupa Earl Grey and at anytime of day on that Arab drink , my fav is American Coffee KONA..:-)

And ahoy to you, my fellow Garden Stater buddy!

Hope you've been well.

Send me an email ...I have to ask you something.

VKKuschner at gmail dot com

Later!!