Rough trip?

marzookah

Just checked the shipping forcast for westbound Atlantic crossing this week. Must say I am a little alarmed and a bit worried! Looks like we are in for a rough ride. Hope it doesn't put my family off cruising as it's our first trip.

Can anyone interpret a more positive forcast please😂😂

OMG. Wish you hadn't posted this :mad: :D

The QM2 is very stable and can handle just about everything that nature throws at her, but unlike some people who pray for a rough crossing I'm the complete opposite. This will be our 4th crossing at this time of the year and up until now we have been very fortunate with the weather.

I've done a rough crossing from Australia to New Zealand when a fair amount of damage was done to items not secured, ie over 2000 plates, cups, saucers and glasses and bottles of wine and spirits (For some unfathomable reason, the latter drew the biggest moan :D) and it wasn't pleasant.

Here's hoping someone can put our minds at rest.

Just checked the shipping forcast for westbound Atlantic crossing this week. Must say I am a little alarmed and a bit worried! Looks like we are in for a rough ride. Hope it doesn't put my family off cruising as it's our first trip.

So you must be on QM2 on 15/12, right? I have done numerous transatlantics with QM2 at any time of the year. There is no better ship than her to cross the North Atlantic.

It could also very well be that by the time you are on the ship the weather has changed again.

Calm down.

Flashback to my Jan 2016 WB: water level over Deck 2 and sometimes 3 public area windows, ship rolling substantially to port side, promenade decks closed, my balcony divider door washed overboard and glass front of balcony smashed by door.

I'm not one to get seasick easily but I was feeling it on our last day before reaching NYC. Not ideal for packing either!

I know many will be annoyed by me writing the above, but the reality is the North Atlantic is unpredictable at times. You can have calm seas (fingers crossed for you) and you can have monstrous swells. Yes, QM2 will handle rough seas far better than any other ship afloat (I'd never do a TA on a cruise ship), but she is still a ship and prone to being a victim of the Atlantic.

Especially in Winter.

I'm a terrible sailor and we had force 12 winds on our November crossing last year.There was some movement but nothing that I couldn't cope with and nothing that stopped me eating and drinking.I took a travel sickness (non drowsy)pill every morning and ginger capsules twice a day and peppermint capsules before every meal and they worked extremely well.Ginger in particular is wonderful for nausea and an upset stomach but is not recommended if you suffer from any blood clotting disorders.

Enjoy your crossing,I'm sure that you will have a great time.

Flashback to my Jan 2016 WB: water level over Deck 2 and sometimes 3 public area windows, ship rolling substantially to port side, promenade decks closed, my balcony divider door washed overboard and glass front of balcony smashed by door.

I'm not one to get seasick easily but I was feeling it on our last day before reaching NYC. Not ideal for packing either!

I know many will be annoyed by me writing the above, but the reality is the North Atlantic is unpredictable at times. You can have calm seas (fingers crossed for you) and you can have monstrous swells. Yes, QM2 will handle rough seas far better than any other ship afloat (I'd never do a TA on a cruise ship), but she is still a ship and prone to being a victim of the Atlantic.

Especially in Winter.

Was your balcony divider washed overboard or blown over? I realise the damaged caused is the same but I would be worried if the waves were up to deck 8 or higher.

To the OP, it's the North Atlantic in winter, it could go either way. We did a January crossing in 2010 and there was much less movement than the trip up from the Caribbean to New York.

Austcruiser ....sound advice re drinking more!

I have crossed the Bay of Biscay a couple of times and have bad memories. .admittedly many moons ago and on a much smaller ship.

I hope Dh is ok. Think the kids will love a bit of rough!

I have bought pretty much every motion sickness remedy there is, so hopefully prepared 😃

Austcruiser ....sound advice re drinking more!

I have crossed the Bay of Biscay a couple of times and have bad memories. .admittedly many moons ago and on a much smaller ship.

I hope Dh is ok. Think the kids will love a bit of rough!

I have bought pretty much every motion sickness remedy there is, so hopefully prepared 😃

So if you are on the Queen Mary, you are in good hands. The Bay of Biscay can be bumpy, but no worse than a Transatlantic.

The good news is with six or seven days to cross, the Captain can avoid the worst of the weather, rather than take the Great Circle (fastest) route, which QM2 could accomplish in four and a half days flat-out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

In addition to ginger capsules, we have found that keeping your stomach full really helps and that's not hard to do onboard! It sounded like the opposite of what you would think is best, but it works. And if it gets really rocking, I use sea bands (based on acupressure principles and available from drug stores).

Wishing you calm seas!

It's all in the mind, You are sailing QM2...Sea Bands & medication not needed on the Mary ....Go and enjoy a stiff G&T in the Commodore club and forget about it . ;)

PS; Them sea bands don't look good with formal wear....a bit like them lanyards :D

I have been on QM2 on the Bay of Biscay with a significant storm out in the Atlantic sending 7m swells in to the Bay. QM2 handled it easily.

Re advice full stomach, if you feel a little light headed or tired, try and set you eyes on the horizon or have another can of ginger ale.

Enjoy your trip.

We were on this crossing five years ago and it was very rough! Too the extent that half the crew were ill and we had a skeleton service at times.

But it's an experience and I actually enjoyed it!

A balcony room helps.

The only part of the ship that doesn't move is the swimming pool, I much enjoyed being in there and seeing the whole ship move around me.

The Atlantic storm system is moving north/northeast. I suspect that QM will sail to the southwest once clearing the channel, towards the Azores, allowing the southern fringes of the storm to pass to her north/starboard. Once cleared of the worst of the storm, she will return as close as safety and comfort permit to her usual westerly track.

I've been in similar conditions on QE on a westbound winter crossing a few years ago. In spite of her tracking way to the southwest, it was still a rough and tumble ride. QM will handle it well.

She's in her element in these kinds of seas. Enjoy the experience.

We did the southerly TA last January on the QV. We managed to encounter the edges of the first winter hurricane in the North Atlantic since 1938. It made for a wonderful time, not.

I'm a poor sailor at the best of times. I even had the prescription patches along with all of the other non-prescription remedies. I still had four days of bed-ridden misery.

Two things that I learned from my experience, one, get some valium next time, two, I'll only sail on the QM2. She's so much better in a swell. You will be fine on the QM2.

The good news was I lost four pounds on the crossing. I was thrilled with the weight loss. Just not so thrilled with the process.

Edited by orvil

Was your balcony divider washed overboard or blown over? I realise the damaged caused is the same but I would be worried if the waves were up to deck 8 or higher.

To the OP, it's the North Atlantic in winter, it could go either way. We did a January crossing in 2010 and there was much less movement than the trip up from the Caribbean to New York.

I was on a cruise a very long time ago to Vietnam. Was a great deal. Free food, top bunk if you're lucky. No beverage packages unfortunately. Got your very own gun in case somebody tries to shoot you. Hit a typhoon off Taiwan. Always wondered why the bunks had seat belts.

Apologies, blown over not washed. That said, on a Princess cruise off the coast of NZ deck furniture 12 stories above sea level was washed overboard from some balconies. Dinner was a quiet affair that day - maybe 15 people in the whole main dining room! Those seas were horrendous. The Captain said he'd never seen anything like it.

Thanks for clarifying, that Princess trip sounds a bit horrifying.

From BlueRiband's posts it seems as if the weather has been a bit lively, I hope the OP and her family are OK.

It wasn't sea sickness inducing for me, just too dangerous to go snot the ship much. The QM2 crossing in Jan was sea sick inducing - the ship rolled and pitched at length. I should have taken something but foolishly didn't. Next time (Jul 2017) I will be better prepared. Having said that, I bet the seas are calm the entire crossing!

• 5 weeks later...

Queen Mary 2 was built especiaily for the North Atlantic and venturing where normal cruise ships fear to go.....