Where to stay in New York before Transatlantic Crossing to Southampton

Belle on board

I'm planning a transatlantic voyage next winter going from NYC to Southampton but want to spend a few nights in or near the New York before crossing. I know many of you will have done this so I was wondering if anyone might have any recommendations for hotels - ideally of the sort that won't be the same as the price of the cruise itself!

Thanks in advance.

I like the Park Lane Hotel with the Central Park just across the street and the subway and taxis in front of it. Fifth Avenue, the Met, the Guggenheim are not far away either. It has large, elegant and quiet rooms. If you book, ask for a room high up with a view on Central Park - absolutely beautiful!

First, if you're staying in NY for a few days (and you should) - you probably want to be in Manhattan.

If you look at a map, you'll see Manhattan is an island that sorta' looks like a deflated balloon. You'll also see that most of the streets are a simple grid with Central Park ....in the center. Most attractions are Midtown - which, not surprisingly is in the middle. Broadway, TImes Square, The Empire State Building, Macy's and the Museum of Modern Art are south of the park. Many of the other art museums are on the east border. Shopping is centered on Fifth Avenue and Madison.

There are literally hundreds of hotels at many different levels in NY, and as the Trivago ads tell us, many different prices per hotel. If you're not familiar with the tricks and tools to get a cheap(er) room, you may want to do some research or find a friend who is and can help you. Rooms aren't cheap. Listed "rack rates" are typically about $500+ per night, but with discounts you likely can get them for $350 with little work and $250-300 with savvy bidding on Priceline.

We're not super-picky, but find that any 4+ star hotel meets our needs and will have full service with nice, clean rooms. (Beware most hotel sites tend to inflate the ratings by a half-star or so)

...and whatever you wind up with will be less than the double-occupancy charge by Cunard for the Hilton (or whatever).

And I recommend a hired car (Dial7 or Carmel) for transportation to/from the hotel, port and airport.

Edited by MarkBearSF

If by "Winter" the OP means January, rooms can easily be found far below $250-300.

I just got an email from the Millenium (sic) Hilton (at the WTC and Ground Zero museum) for $124/night (nonrefundable) through Feb 11. The days leading up to Christmas are also inexpensive, although not as much as January. This is handy if one plans on meeting QM2 in NYC for the Christmas Caribbean cruise.

True. Good point about the season. Of course, even there, the demand and pricing can have surprising bumps because of some industry convention or the like - especially in the business hotels. Like I said there are deals. That is one.

Personally, downtown is too dead and far away for convenience. However, the nightlife around there is improving and the new transit hub makes it closer - but.... No. But it's a personal decision. We pack our annual visits with as many Broadway shows as possible, so our hotel choices are largely driven by the distance from Sardi's. (And the Millennium Broadway is a default hotel for us)

In any event - there are MANY choices. It's something worth doing some research. You'll wind up with a better choice at a MUCH better price than what Cunard offers.

OK. Even in midtown there are good prices to be found in January. NY Hilton is $144 prepaid, $155 refundable. Doubletree Suites Times Square is $175. You pay more for deluxe rooms with views but if location is important...

But add about $100 per night if you want February or March rather than January.

I'm planning a transatlantic voyage next winter going from NYC to Southampton but want to spend a few nights in or near the New York before crossing. I know many of you will have done this so I was wondering if anyone might have any recommendations for hotels - ideally of the sort that won't be the same as the price of the cruise itself!

Thanks in advance.

Midtown is what we prefer when spending a night in NYC, especially if you want to see a Broadway show. Try the Hilton web site as their brands include both high end properties as well as mid range brands like Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Hotels. Do check the location before you book.

Don't know which TA you plan on but the one in early December from NYC to SH to gather up the Caribbean cruise crowd puts you in NYC during the busiest week of the Christmas Holiday and the hotel rates are the highest of the entire year.

On the other hand if you are catching the return Jan 3 TA the hotel rates are the lowest of the year as "No one" of consequence is in NYC that week.

Given the choice as the Tree is still up and the skating still going on as is The Radio City show etc. Jan 3 makes the most sense $$ wise. But if you like wall to wall crowds almost impossible reservations for dinner etc. then go for the early December date.

Don't know which TA you plan on but the one in early December from NYC to SH to gather up the Caribbean cruise crowd puts you in NYC during the busiest week of the Christmas Holiday and the hotel rates are the highest of the entire year.
You'd think this, but for the 20th and the 21st (perhaps for a couple of days before) hotel rates in New York are actually relatively low. There's very little business travel in the week leading up to Christmas. The QM2 Caribbean trip leaves on 12/22.

We've taken advantage of the low rates once and I've looked into rates a few years with an eye toward repeating that experience.

Edited by Underwatr

We had friends that came off the Christmas New Year Cruise in 16 and they have stayed in the Past at the Ritz Carlton on West Street.

They had to just take a Car Service or Taxi thru the Battery Tunnel to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to the other side of the harbor.

They have been satisfied the two times they have stayed there.

There is also Marriott Financial just down the street from Ritz.

Of course there are some hotels in Downtown Brooklyn now.

I live here in Manhattan and midtown is best all round in getting to see all that NYC has to offer - The Hilton Hotel on 6th Ave (Ave of the Americas)& 53 St is a great hotel that might meet your needs. I'd stay away from Times Square because its so crowded. The Hilton is close to Rockefeller Center, 5Th Ave, Radio City Music Hall & Broadway. It also offers many transportation options, cabs, subways & buses. Uber is also a great transportation option to look into - even getting to the ship in Brooklyn.

As far as staying in Brooklyn - its is an up & coming hip area - very popular w the 20 somethings. You'll spend time on subways getting back & forth and it also can leave out the chance to have the extra drink or walk Madison Avenue later on at nite after dinner or a show. For a few days you'll get the most of NYC by staying in Manhattan.

Enjoy!

Edited by Rotterdam