Chilli allergy who do i tell?

erniebernie

Hi we are embarking on QV in 49 sleeps:D and I was wondering who in the MDR do I tell about my allergy, MaitreD or our table waiter and should I go there before our dinning time just to make sure they know?. ( I did put it on the information sheet we filled in) Thanks Allison

Hi we are embarking on QV in 49 sleeps:D and I was wondering who in the MDR do I tell about my allergy, MaitreD or our table waiter and should I go there before our dinning time just to make sure they know?. ( I did put it on the information sheet we filled in) Thanks Allison

First notify Cunard of your allergy thru your TA or directly.

When in the MDR tell the waiter and he/she notify the MaitreD . The maitreD will tell what doesn't have the item in it. They sometimes can make the entree without the ingredient. They should show nest days lunch (MDR) and supper for you to chose your meal.

Might be a little too late now but I would have thought that any special dietary requirements or allergies should have been declared at the booking stage, other than that, the advice given above is usually effective.

David

Might be a little too late now but I would have thought that any special dietary requirements or allergies should have been declared at the booking stage, other than that, the advice given above is usually effective.

David

Dietary requirements aren't required to notified at all except Kosher. This has to obtained pre cruise frozen from the shore supplier. They usually after the first night supply the next days menu so that the guest can chose what is made or can be made in the kitchen.

My DW is Gluten Free . The ship doesn't require advance notice.

If you book 12 months out you might have found that allergy yet.

Paperwork only requires two weeks notice if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks everyone for your help Cunard have been told via our Passenger Reservation Form.I will go to MDR when we get on board and speak to someone. I hate having to mention this to waiters while sitting at table as its just a big hassle trying to sort out which meals contain it. Im sure I wont starve,can always live of ice cream;) Allison

You contact Cunard directly NOW!! It is YOUR responsibility to inform them of any dietary issues you have. You do NOT wait until you are on board. DO IT NOW! Sorry, I'm being so firm, but people have to take responsibility for themselves. Do you have a T/A? Contact them immediately. It is part of their job & what they get paid for.

Cunard HAVE been told I was just wanting to speak to someone in the MDR about it for my own peace of mind.

That's good to know. See the Maître D once your checked into your room. They should be aware of the situation.

You contact Cunard directly NOW!! It is YOUR responsibility to inform them of any dietary issues you have. You do NOT wait until you are on board. DO IT NOW! Sorry, I'm being so firm, but people have to take responsibility for themselves. Do you have a T/A? Contact them immediately. It is part of their job & what they get paid for.

It's all very well you being firm and "shouting" at the OP, but one can do all that and be wasting one's time. Here's my experience:

I always tell the TA of my allergies, which include currants, raisins, sultanas and walnuts, at the time of booking. Five weeks before our Transatlantic crossing on QM2, I went into anaphylactic shock after eating toast and peanut butter. - something I had eaten many times before. This development made me a very nervous traveller (and expensive to insure). I even considered cancelling the crossing.

I phoned my TA and asked him to contact Cunard and he told me to be sure to mention this once on board, so on the afternoon we boarded I went to the dining room and spoke to a staff member. His response was "Tell your waiter". He didn't ask for my name or table number.

At dinner I spoke to the waiter straight away. Told him my story and asked him to consider me allergic to any kind of nuts. He asked me to chose from the menu without offering any guidance.

I ordered chicken liver pate and brioche as a starter. When it came it was garnished with chopped walnuts!! There had been no mention whatsoever of this on the menu. Fortunately the waiter thought to mention it and asked what I wanted to do.

What I wanted to do at that point was go home. I really felt Cunard didn't take anaphylaxis seriously.

When the Maitre D' came round the room my husband explained what had happened. He then arranged for the next day's menu to be brought to my table each night and I made my choices 24hrs in advance. He also put a restaurant manager in charge of my food and all was well from then on.

But I'll never forget how worried I was about going on a Transatlantic voyage on a new line, and how traumatic my first experience of dining on board was.